`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pricing of Items Not Priced by Beckett

Pricing of Items Not Priced by Beckett
With more and more products not being priced by Beckett because they choose not to, it would be great if we as a hobby group could come up with some sort of consensus on how to price these items for trade purposes.

For example, Topps Holiday Snowflake, Topps 65th Anniversary, Topps All-Star Game, Leaf Trinity & Autos, etc.; mostly the recent stuff being regularly purchased.

To save time, the non-star players could be thrown into a batch with the same price, whereas stars could be separately priced by group consensus. This would make trading more comfortable and productive.

Yes, it would take time, but if a group of 10-12 guys threw in their opinions of what to price, then it would help out many collectors. Something needs to be done to make this site better and more user friendly. If paying a fee does not get it done, then volunteered time could.

What do you think? If this worked out, then it could be expanded to low numbered cards that Beckett does not price either. I don't trust Ebay because the asking price does not mean it will sell for that, but experienced collectors as yourselves would be closer to a fair trade price.

Obviously, I am willing to help get this going...how about you?

RE: Pricing of Items Not Priced by Beckett
Just curious but, has there been a definitive statement or communication saying those and other newer items will not be priced, ever? Wondering if there is some sort of "order of importance" or hierarchy of priority that isn't known to us collectors. I am just getting back into it so I am genuinely in the dark on such things. Otherwise, great idea, would love to support in my limited ability & knowledge if applicable.
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

I posted concerning not priced items several weeks ago and then commented last week.
Getting a group of people together to agree on pricing is a good idea, but could take a long time and without the "power" of Beckett pricing..will be hit and miss as well...

It would make trading easier..hate to trade a card for $5 and find out later it was $2 or $25...

Next item is that OPG is a GUIDE and not binding..
Also, I think it would be easier to get a consensus from Beckett that..1. they are never going to price..or 2. they are awaiting more data...some communication would make this point easier to understand
Retail and on line only from Topps are either very slow to price or never priced.

A&G X is a good example. Never priced from 2015 and never expected to be priced...why?? No data?? Print run not released??

2015 Topps Mini was priced as a hobby product, but 2016 was on line only and never will be priced...probably...there has been no comment or notification from Beckett.

Leaf Trinity, Onyx etc are never priced either.

The Snowflake is concerning since it is a direct variation of the Topps brand and has a wide distribution, and other retail parallels of Topps have been priced in past. ..so pricing will come I think.

Concerned about the Topps Archive 65th edition as well...the autos not priced for a long time...on card autos from older players..need some guidance...and is there really an SSP variation??? The OPG has ? marks on some cards..Maybe Topps never released a good database??

Sorry..long post..been on my mind for years now..

(01-05-2017, 02:23 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: I posted concerning not priced items several weeks ago and then commented last week.
Getting a group of people together to agree on pricing is a good idea, but could take a long time and without the "power" of Beckett pricing..will be hit and miss as well...

It would make trading easier..hate to trade a card for $5 and find out later it was $2 or $25...

Next item is that OPG is a GUIDE and not binding..
Also, I think it would be easier to get a consensus from Beckett that..1. they are never going to price..or 2. they are awaiting more data...some communication would make this point easier to understand
Retail and on line only from Topps are either very slow to price or never priced.

A&G X is a good example. Never priced from 2015 and never expected to be priced...why?? No data?? Print run not released??

2015 Topps Mini was priced as a hobby product, but 2016 was on line only and never will be priced...probably...there has been no comment or notification from Beckett.

Leaf Trinity, Onyx etc are never priced either.

The Snowflake is concerning since it is a direct variation of the Topps brand and has a wide distribution, and other retail parallels of Topps have been priced in past. ..so pricing will come I think.

Concerned about the Topps Archive 65th edition as well...the autos not priced for a long time...on card autos from older players..need some guidance...and is there really an SSP variation??? The OPG has ? marks on some cards..Maybe Topps never released a good database??

Sorry..long post..been on my mind for years now..
Thanks. Your recent post is what got me thinking about this! Since the market drives the price, I suggest that we try to be the market as a large group of consumers.

What about this idea. I remember years ago in some of the Beckett price guides. They would list variations as a 2X or 3X the regular base card depending on if you consider the player a minor star or major star. For example let say if the 2016 Topps base of Buster Posey was .40 to 1.00. You might now consider the Walmart Holiday Snowflake of Buster Posey to be a major star and price it at 1.20 to 3.00. Just throwing this out there. If we can agree on a multiplier. Maybe we can come up with a fair price of cards that are not being priced by Beckett. Like I said just throwing it out there.

(01-05-2017, 06:50 PM)corbin21 Wrote: What about this idea. I remember years ago in some of the Beckett price guides. They would list variations as a 2X or 3X the regular base card depending on if you consider the player a minor star or major star. For example let say if the 2016 Topps base of Buster Posey was .40 to 1.00. You might now consider the Walmart Holiday Snowflake of Buster Posey to be a major star and price it at 1.20 to 3.00. Just throwing this out there. If we can agree on a multiplier. Maybe we can come up with a fair price of cards that are not being priced by Beckett. Like I said just throwing it out there.
I think you are on the right track, as something like this crossed my mind. We just need a range of agreement. Good comment!

How easy/hard is it to get release numbers? Say Regular vs. Snowflake? Seems straightforward but I assume it's not... Again, forgive my naivety as I am relatively new.
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

(01-05-2017, 06:50 PM)corbin21 Wrote: What about this idea. I remember years ago in some of the Beckett price guides. They would list variations as a 2X or 3X the regular base card depending on if you consider the player a minor star or major star. For example let say if the 2016 Topps base of Buster Posey was .40 to 1.00. You might now consider the Walmart Holiday Snowflake of Buster Posey to be a major star and price it at 1.20 to 3.00. Just throwing this out there. If we can agree on a multiplier. Maybe we can come up with a fair price of cards that are not being priced by Beckett. Like I said just throwing it out there.
I agree that a multiplier will be the easiest way. The problem is with agreeing on what that multiplier should be for each product. Also, will RCs have a different multiplier than non-RCs, as is typically the case with parallels, but in most of these cases the cards are new products and not just parallels from the same product.
I tried doing this in a trade recently but we were too far apart in what we perceived the value to be for some cards. So I don't think you will get a general consensus amongst everyone. Hopefully Beckett will actually do their job and provide pricing for most of these products (still hoping that they one day price A&G X).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I agree that an agreeable multiplier would be the way to go. You could base it on previous products in some (not all) cases. For example, maybe 2016 Topps 65th Anniversary would use the same multiplier as 2011 Diamond Anniversary was over the base cards for that set.

I see the Holiday Snowflake cards are priced in the OPG today.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

YEAH!!!
Snowflakes and the Minis are priced!!!!