`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAQ on card collecting

RE: FAQ on card collecting
(01-08-2017, 05:24 PM)taffster74 Wrote: getting complete sets these days is also nigh-on impossible. About the only sets you'd be able to get "complete" would be prizm and Hoops - that's complete with all the base cards and RC's. As complete with all inserts - that's what's referred to as a "complete product" and those days are loooooong gone!!!!

As to finding out what card comes in what product .... say you find a listing for a Karl-Anthony Towns Absolute Memorabilia Frequent Flyers card.... that means it's part of the Frequent flyers insert released randomly in the product Absolute Memorabilia. Now when i say released randomly, i mean the inserts are issued randomly. As to getting - or "landing" - that particular card.... good luck. There'd be at least 15 players in that particular set. Say Frequent Flyer cards fall approximately 1 in every 2 boxes of Absolute. That means you have a 1in 2 box chance of getting any player in that insert - not necessarily the KAT card. That's what i mean by a gamble - You might land the KAT card, or you might get the rarest version of the scrub RC from Absolute.
As to the help, i've been in this hobby for 22 years now - just glad to pass on my years of accumulated knowledge to someone who's willing to listen.
I've never heard of an 'insert' but it sounds like it's a special limited card that is randomly placed in certain products. Thanks for clarifying, because I would have thought that even a random insert would have been considered part of the complete issuance, and thus, all of the inserts would have to be a part of a boxed set in its entirety. So that was my incorrect assumption.

Would I be correct in assuming that you can get all the inserts if you buy the complete set when it releases as new (so for example after the upcoming drafts) or is it that you can't ever expect to purchase all of the big ticket money cards?

Thanks for the clarification.

These days, it's nigh-on impossible to get a complete product - you'd have to spend literally close to a million just for a complete product of hoops. Inserts - or special issue cards - fall at varying odds (companies generally now say the overall odds for getting a non-base card are 1:1 - that means you have a 1 in 1 pack chance at getting an insert, rookie or parallel but no guarantees as to which one exactly). When you consider that each product has upwards of five inserts and upwards of five parallels with some inserts having several parallels (including one of ones) that makes getting a complete product extremely difficult.

A parallel card is the same picture as the base version on with a different colour border or finish.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

If you're just in it for the money, be careful.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.