`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1998 CE Supreme Season Review Rookies with gold foil vs rookies with holofoil

1998 CE Supreme Season Review Rookies with gold foil vs rookies with holofoil
Does anyone know why some rookies in this set have only a gold foil version and some only have a holofoil version?
In looking up information, I have only found 8 of the 49 cards where a person has both. I would really appreciate any information people might have.
http://www.comc.com/Cards,sc,=1998+supre...61e,ot,i20

http://www.comc.com/Cards,sc,i20,=1998+s...review+74b

http://www.comc.com/Cards/Football/1998/...ss/6041080

http://www.comc.com/Cards,sc,=1998+supre...09c,ot,i20

http://www.comc.com/Cards,sc,=1998+supre...34a,ot,i20

http://www.comc.com/Cards,sc,=1998+supre...65a,ot,i20

http://www.comc.com/Cards,sc,=1998+supre...65c,ot,i20

http://www.comc.com/Cards,sc,i20,=1998+s...eview+172a

RE: 1998 CE Supreme Season Review Rookies with gold foil vs rookies with holofoil
Here is the answer for you, from the printed Beckett Football Card Price Guide.

1998 CE Supreme Season Review were issued in 6 packs, one of the cards was a Gold Ingot parallel on 50 pt card stock. There were 30 redemption cards, 1 per team, so for my Jets,
#128 was the Jets draft card that could be kept or redeemed.
The base team draft pick redemption card #128 got you the replacement card #128A Scott Frost with Gold foil.
The Gold Ingot draft pick redemption card #128 got you the replacement card #128A Scott Frost with holofoil highlights. I have both versions.

However I checked on ebay and there is a Scott Frost Gold Ingot parallel so maybe Edge gave out the Gold Ingot parallel and the holofoil for the Gold Ingot redemption. I don't remember now.

RE: 1998 CE Supreme Season Review Rookies with gold foil vs rookies with holofoil
Interesting. I also have all but the regular gold foil version for Tavian Banks including the redemption cards. I would still be interested in someone has other information about them to help me find out if I am still missing a card or not.

(12-15-2016, 01:44 AM)ginge01 Wrote: Here is the answer for you, from the printed Beckett Football Card Price Guide.

1998 CE Supreme Season Review were issued in 6 packs, one of the cards was a Gold Ingot parallel on 50 pt card stock. There were 30 redemption cards, 1 per team, so for my Jets,
#128 was the Jets draft card that could be kept or redeemed.
The base team draft pick redemption card #128 got you the replacement card #128A Scott Frost with Gold foil.
The Gold Ingot draft pick redemption card #128 got you the replacement card #128A Scott Frost with holofoil highlights. I have both versions.

However I checked on ebay and there is a Scott Frost Gold Ingot parallel so maybe Edge gave out the Gold Ingot parallel and the holofoil for the Gold Ingot redemption. I don't remember now.
This is wrong.

The original redemption was for only the first 1000 sent in. The response was overwhelming as the cards were quite common. The first 1000 who mailed in received the holofoil version. The rest received the gold version.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

(12-15-2016, 02:29 PM)Marinocollector Wrote: This is wrong.

The original redemption was for only the first 1000 sent in. The response was overwhelming as the cards were quite common. The first 1000 who mailed in received the holofoil version. The rest received the gold version.
Hi Marinocollector, please advise, as you say 'This is wrong'

In 1998 I bought the CE (Collector's Edge) Supreme Season Review base Jets set locally at card shows in L.A., and picked up a couple of the base Jets draft pick cards #128.
I did not get the more expensive parallel Gold Ingot set, I did notice that the Gold Ingot draft pick parallel (on thick stock like all the other Gold Ingot parallels) did not have the words Gold Ingot stamped on it.
When I saw bballkm32's post I shared my two cents, based on my memory and the Beckett Football Card Price guide. After checking ebay this week, I bought the Jets Gold Ingot parallel set (including the Jets Gold Ingot draft pick card) and found a new variant (the Scott Frost Redemption card (thin stock with Gold Ingot stamped on it), Marinocollector, your help on this set would be appreciated if you have more information.

According to Beckett Football Card Price Guide,
'1998 CE Supreme Season Review were issued in six-card packs, one of the cards was a Gold Ingot parallel on 50 pt card stock. There were 30 redemption cards, 1 per team',
so for my Jets', #128 was the Jets draft pick.

Beckett Football Card Price Guide Gold Ingot parallel notes,
'is parallel to the base set and is printed on heavyweight 50 pt card stock with gold foil lettering and an etched foil 'Gold Ingot' stamp. The redemption draft picks cards feature holofoil highlights instead of the Gold Ingot design. They were also printed on thinner card stock from the basic Gold Ingots.

Reading the back of the draft pick cards it does state 'Limited to the first 1000 redemptions', yes, that's what you said Marinocollector.

I assumed 1000 thin base card redemptions (Gold foil 128A Scott Frost), 1000 thick Gold Ingot redemptions (holofoil 128A Scott Frost), so
Question, can you confirm the first 1000 redemptions were holofoil, is there a guess to the number of Gold foil redemptions, is the holofoil or Gold foil a SP??

I assumed as I only collect the Jets, there was one player per team, Detroit has five players, the most rookie redemptions for any team
61 Lions draft pick
61A Jamaal Alexander
61B Chris Liwienski
61C Terry Fair
61D Germane Crowell
61E Charlie Batch

The Patriots, Giants and 49ers all had three, I don't know if there were three times the number of draft picks redemption cards issued for those teams, 5 times the number for the Lions, if so, were the other teams draft pick redemptions SP's?
Or was it if all of a teams cards had been redeemed (1000 holofoils), a Lions, 49ers, Patriots, Giants or one of the 9 teams with two players was sent instead or were the Gold foil redemptions produced for the team and (example) a Jets fan who sent in a redemption after the first 1000 got a Jets gold foil redemption?
Were there 1000 holofoils of each card made so 5000 Lions holofoil cards or 200 holofoils of 5 players to equal 1000, and how many Gold redemptions of each Lions player were produced?

I missed out on a 1996 Coll Edge Presidents Reserve Long Shot Alex Van Dyke (Jets) rookie redemption and was given a Terrell Owens rookie redemption instead by Coll Edge so I knew about being sent a substitute, I later sold Owens for $10 on ebay, got the Van Dyke for a lot less!!!

I have uploaded two scans
[Image: 1998%20Jets%20CollEdge%20Supreme%209a.jpg]
[Image: 1998%20Jets%20CollEdge%20Supreme%209b.jpg]
1st row Base draft pick card, Gold Ingot draft pick card (thick 50 pt), Keyshawn Johnson Gold Ingot card (thick 50 pt)
2nd row, my Scott Frost received redemption (holofoil with upside down wrong back of Edge Advantage like Brian Griese, bought off ebay Scott Frost Gold redemption
3rd row, both bought this week on ebay Scott Frost holofoil redemption (with correct back), Scott Frost Gold Ingot redemption (not listed on Beckett??)
The second scan, the reverse of the cards

When I received my redemption in 1998 I was pleased it was Scott Frost, and bummed that the back has a 1998 Coll Edge Advantage like back #192, I think I was sent a prototype test print, the 1998 Advantage 192 was Charlie Batch, 183 was Griese.
Years later on ebay I bought the Scott Frost Gold Foil redemption with the correct back.

This week I saw the Scott Frost Holofoil redemption and the Gold Ingot redemption, took a chance and bought them both from Burbank Sportscards.
The Holofoil Redemption has the correct back, (3rd row) I'm very happy

Marinocollector, any idea on the origin of the Gold Ingot stamped redemption? Were the Gold Ingot redemptions also sent out back in 1998?

All four Scott Frost redemptions I have scanned are on regular (thin) paper stock.

Approx. 3-4500 of each basic redemptions were sent in. I am not sure of the Gold Ingot. It was an article in the old Beckett. They had a break down and everything talking about it. I received quite a few sets. This is what I know....

The response was overwhelming for the rookie sets because of Manning and Leaf. So much so the Edge revamped the program. Instead of the redemption being for just one rookie card, they sent multiple cards for some teams. Everyone received the entire rookie team set. For the people who were on the ball and sent in the redemption to be one of the first 1000, Edge sent them a holofoil rookie team set version. The gold base team set version were sent to anyone who was not one of the first 1000. The Gold Ingot was the most limited of the 3 versions, with less than 1000 made of the redemption card itself. I think they were all thin stock for the rookies.

So it goes like this...

Base redemption -
1-1000 redeemed = holofoil team set
1001+ redeemed = gold base team set

Gold Ingot redemption = Gold ingot team set

Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

(12-17-2016, 08:35 AM)Marinocollector Wrote: Approx. 3-4500 of each basic redemptions were sent in. I am not sure of the Gold Ingot. It was an article in the old Beckett. They had a break down and everything talking about it. I received quite a few sets. This is what I know....

The response was overwhelming for the rookie sets because of Manning and Leaf. So much so the Edge revamped the program. Instead of the redemption being for just one rookie card, they sent multiple cards for some teams. Everyone received the entire rookie team set. For the people who were on the ball and sent in the redemption to be one of the first 1000, Edge sent them a holofoil rookie team set version. The gold base team set version were sent to anyone who was not one of the first 1000. The Gold Ingot was the most limited of the 3 versions, with less than 1000 made of the redemption card itself. I think they were all thin stock for the rookies.

So it goes like this...

Base redemption -
1-1000 redeemed = holofoil team set
1001+ redeemed = gold base team set

Gold Ingot redemption = Gold ingot team set
Marinocollector, thanks for the info Smile
I can't imagine Panini today wanting to do 3-4500 redemptions of each team!!!
Yes, I remember 1998, the discussion between Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf, who's the better QB, it was also Randy Moss's rookie year, those cards were all in great demand, Manning's Gold Ingot redemption Pop10 #ed to 2 sold for $510 in Oct 2016, amazing!!!.
Good to know Coll Edge had revamped the redemption program, I guess if you were the Lions back then you did well, a lot of offensive skill position rookies so Lions fan got 5 cards, my Jets had a converted Nebraska QB Scott Frost who the Jets tried to make a S but it never worked out. Our other top picks were a 2nd rd DE and a 3rd CB so only one Edge redemption card.

Yes, all three versions are on thin stock, so it looks like the Gold Ingot redemption is the relative SP.