Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the baseball card scene

New to the baseball card scene
Hello -

Looking for advice. Found 41 unopened packs of Fleer 1990 cards. Do not even know where to start. Also found some Donruss 1989 card packs and 1990 puzzle packs. Do I open them (thinking not) or sell them as a pack? What can I seriously expect to sell them for?

Thanks in advance!

RE: New to the baseball card scene
Welcome......not knowing what you mean by "found" (actually found or you purchased), I myself would keep them closed and try to sell them that way. Though 26 & 27 years old, they really aren't worth much of anything to many collectors. Hope I didn't burst your bubble..........

Also, don't be offended by the responses you may get, folks may just post something short and to the point without any negative meaning.

Good luck!

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

As Phillies Joe said, they come from what is often called the 'junk wax' era, when cards were massively overproduced, so they don't carry much value. They likely have more value closed, as folks might enjoy the nostalgia of opening them. 1989 Donruss at least has a Ken Griffey Jr RC to look for, which can carry some value if it's in good shape and is graded highly. In terms of value, a 36 pack unopened box of 1990 Fleer sold recently for around $10 on ebay.
Trading for cut autos of baseball HOFers I don't have, autos of current and future Cleveland Guardians, and anything else that catches my eye!

If you are in Canada, it is possible you have packs of the 1990 Fleer Canadian Set, which has a BV 10x the American version. Of course 10x 5cents still isn't much, and commons won't sell at all probably. A few cards in their (if that is what you have) would BV at $10 or over.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(10-04-2016, 11:23 AM)troyrwhite Wrote: Hello -
Looking for advice. Found 41 unopened packs of Fleer 1990 cards. Do not even know where to start. Also found some Donruss 1989 card packs and 1990 puzzle packs. Do I open them (thinking not) or sell them as a pack? What can I seriously expect to sell them for?
Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately, You might only get enough money for about a couple of gallons of gas.
You might have more 'fun value' opening them than selling them, because selling them might be more frustrating than fun. Like others mentioned ... They were over-produced, overly collected & people overly speculated that a case or three would pay for their children's college tuition.
Also, like others mentioned, there are a few 'better cards' in the mix. But not very valuable from a monetary standpoint, but Hall Of Fame ballplayers always have an intrinsic value.
If this acts as a 'jumping on point' into the hobby, welcome aboard.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(10-05-2016, 06:26 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Unfortunately, You might only get enough money for about a couple of gallons of gas.
You might have more 'fun value' opening them than selling them, because selling them might be more frustrating than fun. Like others mentioned ... They were over-produced, overly collected & people overly speculated that a case or three would pay for their children's college tuition.
Also, like others mentioned, there are a few 'better cards' in the mix. But not very valuable from a monetary standpoint, but Hall Of Fame ballplayers always have an intrinsic value.
If this acts as a 'jumping on point' into the hobby, welcome aboard.
it happens to me over here all the time........ people contact me because they want to sell their collections and they end up being junk wax era cards all banged up and they think they have a treasure and ask for unimaginable prices........ I politely tell them its not what im looking for
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

+1 on all of the above... I sold all my early 90s cards to a dad attempting to get his kid into collecting for all of $20 and there were several thousand cards.
I collect Peyton Manning and Griffey Jr.
My Bucket: http://s444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/soccerscrub78
[Image: manning-griffeybanner2.jpg]

I get those calls occasionally about collection when people see my name and number promoting shows. I make sure the 1st thing I say is if your cards are between 1986-95 the standard wholesale is 10 for a penny. Once that is out of the way, then we can determine if there is any value to what they have. That also lowers expectations.

Rich
Plano, Tx. Card Show #7, Sunday March 5, 2017 from 9 AM to 4 PM at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx.