`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player Injuries Today VS. The Golden Era

Player Injuries Today VS. The Golden Era
Something I wonder about from time to time. People always say the players of today are bigger, stronger and faster than ever before. But workhorse pitchers especially seem to be a thing of the past as player's arms seem to give out aside from a select few guys who have career longevity as starters. Even position players seem more fragile these days. Pitch counts, inning limits and long DL stints seem to plague many of today's players and the chances of a 300 game winner in the future seems to be unlikely.

Was the "greatest generation" (which I absolutely agree with) just a tougher, country strong group of men? Maybe they just played through pain more often to make sure they take home that modest paycheck? I mean these guys had second jobs... They didn't have rigorous workout routines and extra programs to stay in shape in accordance with today's standards... Maybe the extra weight-lifting and workout routines actually hinder the prototype baseball physique with too much added wear and tear on player's frames?

The difference in pitcher's between now and then especially seems drastic to the point you could make a case for them being fragile in comparison. Maybe inflated salaries play a role also though....
What do you folks think?

RE: Player Injuries Today VS. The Golden Era
I think you hit the nail on the head about the extra lifting and strength training. I don't remember where I read about it but an article gave avg pitch speed numbers and there was a pretty good gap between now and 20-30 years ago. So many more pitchers are hitting 98-100 mph, it's unreal. More strikeouts but more homers. So throwing much faster with unnatural arm movement is doing some of the damage.

Plus nobody wants their 20 million dollar pitcher going down so they don't work them. You just are not going to see many if any pitchers hit 250 inn+ anymore or pitching 10+ CG.

However I believe pitchers now could have their bodies adapt and get back to those more rigorous schedules. Give it 10-20 years and maybe we'll have less TJ surgeries.

But I'm old school and I say suck it up ya pansies and pitch!

My own opinion about the injuries is that the constant year round training doesn't give the body any time to heal. Now I'm not saying everyone should be like Bartolo Colon, but there comes a point where the body just breaks down. I'm also a firm believer that playing one sport and one sport only (year round) isn't good.

Back when the owners totally controlled the players.......they played through anything just so the could keep their jobs. There's a different reality today with what the players are being paid and their union (one I whole-heartly back......but that's another story), so an owners "investment" needs to be protected.

Just think about what Sandy Koufax went through his last few years pitching 320+ innings each year...."shoot 'em up and send him out there". Guy quit when he was what, 31, just because he didn't want to go through like with a crippled left arm. How many of those "tough guys" do you think now wish they had done the same. (arms, knees ect...) Was Barry Sanders a wimp because he quit playing football while he was still healthy?
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I think for the most part pride and loyalty are gone. Players used to do anything they could to get out and perform for their teams. These days, they are babied because the investments in them is so astronomical. "What you've got a hangnail? To the DL!"
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html