Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RANT: My favorite kind of trader
Tongue 
RANT: My favorite kind of trader
I want to preface this post by saying this is not the only forum I go to for cards, and this post has to do with something that happened on one of those other forums and not here. However I think people here will be able to easily relate.
One thing I really enjoy doing is putting together sets, and most times I buy boxes I usually do so with the intent of putting together the set. The problem is a lot of people don't list commons for trade for one reason or another. So when I found a post offering to help out those trying to complete sets I listed my needs and got a fairly quick response saying they had a bunch of the cards I needed. I got a little excited thinking I might be able to check off a bunch of cards off my list. Now, I could easily pick up all the cards from SportLots, COMC, eBay, Beckett Marketplace and a few other sites, but I typically prefer to trade to finish sets as it just isn't worth spending the money on common set fillers.
All that being said, when I inquired what they were looking for in trade they sent a list of the hottest players you can think of and said they are only looking for autos of those players. Before responding I quickly added up the book value of the cards they had for me and it was under $50 total, but they were asking for autos of players whose autographs rarely SELL for under $100, i.e. Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Kris Bryant, Michael Jordan, Lebron James, etc.
[Image: forehead-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif]
When I asked if there was anything else they collected, they added Game Used cards, but only those from the highest end products (i.e. Exquisite, etc), and again only of the biggest name players. So I told them I would pass, and they offered to sell the cards to me for the amazing price of $0.50/common and $1+ for star players.

Now, just to put things into perspective I wasn't asking for vintage singles or singles from high-end sets. I was looking for very low-end singles (Topps, Donruss, etc), with most being $1 or less each in book value with the highest being a $6 BV insert. What really annoyed me about it is that they were the one that started the thread saying they wanted to HELP people finish sets.
OK my rant is over, thanks for listening.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: RANT: My favorite kind of trader
That stinks, would trade to help with sets for Texas Rangers.

trading is more enjoyable for me as well. but i avoid idiots like the guy u speak of. what irritates me, and its only a small irritation, is guys that are super particular on book value in trades. i personally dont care much if the cards are around the same worth and number. but when it involves 500 cards and the difference in value mught be 5.00 who cares.
http://cardboardcollecting.ca/

"There’s no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation" - Pierre Trudeau

Trading and Buying 1952 Bowman baseball, contact me if you have some to trade/sell.

Hard to believe some traders think that that's okay. I have all my commons listed. If I can help you out, I'd be happy to trade for a fair value of non-auto, non-game-used cards.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

What years/sets are you looking for? I don't really trade much through the mail but if I have any commons you need I would send them to you. I would have to add them to my org so you could see what I have.

I am just somewhat paranoid about sending higher valued stuff through the mail after seeing so much stuff getting damaged or stolen. I only like to trade that stuff in person.

I find it extremely annoying when people do this. A stack of commons for autos and game used? The trade better be heavily in your favor, I mean $100 in commons to $25 autos and game used value. It's just the way this hobby is. Set collectors are the minority while most just want the "big" hits of players you mentioned above. I use to try to complete sets by trading with others on here until I ran into too much of this. Now I just buy the competed sets from people who bust a ton of product looking for hits and dump the commons in the form of sets for dirt cheap.
I am one who no longer lists my commons because it's a lot of work and people aren't usually looking for them. What sets are you looking to finish? If I have some I'll just send them to you.

Sorry to hear about that experience! I've been willing to trade AU or GU for my set needs, but this guy just seems excessive.

One of my most satisfying trades here involved a few Jeter GUs for a ton of inserts I needed to finish a couple of very different sets.

What sets are you building? I'm renewing my OPG soon and while I probably won't load all my commons, I'd be happy to help.

That guy = doosh

Karma will come back to kick him in the berries.

Now, just to put things into perspective I wasn't asking for vintage singles or singles from high-end sets. I was looking for very low-end singles (Topps, Donruss, etc), with most being $1 or less each in book value with the highest being a $6 BV insert. What really annoyed me about it is that they were the one that started the thread saying they wanted to HELP people finish sets.
OK my rant is over, thanks for listening.
[/quote]
What a rotten experience! I have actually quit trading on Beckett because that exact same problem

I know what you feel. I am a set builder for all bowman products and and few other sets, and some want to trade their commons for star players. In many cases I trade in their favor, but it is hard to trade a $40 or more card for many commons.