`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Getting back into collecting, can anyone help me get up to speed?

Getting back into collecting, can anyone help me get up to speed?
Hello.

I am a big hockey and sports fan who has been out of collecting since around 2000 or so. I had to focus on finishing high school, completing college, and finding one of those job things.

I have always been a big fan of the design of cards and love opening packs and obtaining cards of my favorite players. When I was a highschooler never really had the sort of bankroll to chase higher end cards, or rip high end packs trying to pull a valuable rookie.

I have scratched my proverbial itch over the years playing the Ultimate Team game modes in the EAS video games. I spent more time completing collections and flipping cards to bankroll opening more packs.

Now that I have more time and access to funds I am interested in getting back into the hobby after going to a small card show in town the other weekend; I just dont know where to begin.

I would appreciate any help, but have the following questions:

Where is the hobby at now in terms of a meta type state?
- What is the most popular in order? (ex. rookies, GU, Autos, etc)
- What is the least popular?

Not expecting anyone to reveal any trade secrets, but coming from ultimate team and my enjoyment of flipping cards to bankroll myself.

But is it possible to do the same (or at least mitigate expenses)?

What tools via apps, web page add ons etc do you guys use?

I am looking to get a digital price guide, what is the best value, for what is actually in vogue? The digital version of the print magazine or the actual online price guide?

Any common scams I should look for when buying or trading cards?

Any other tips, suggestions, or resources?

Also I know enough to be dangerous in photoshop/illustrator. So if anyone needs a signature please PM me what you are looking for in terms of style, content and dimensions.

Thank you in advance! I look forward to becoming a part of this community once more.

RE: Getting back into collecting, can anyone help me get up to speed?
WELCOME BACK! I AM NOT SURE HOW MUCH HELP I CAN BE. BUSTING PACKS IS REALLY FUN. IF YOU HAVE BANK ROLL, THE HIGHER END PRODUCTS ARE PANINI NATIONAL TREASURES, PANINI CONTENDERS, PANINI BLACK. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A FAN OF ROOKIES & STARS. I THOUGHT I READ SOMEWHERE THAT PANINI WILL BE THE ONLY CARD COMPANY TO HAVE NFL LICENSE. SO TOPPS LIKE UPPER DECK WILL BE IN COLLEGE UNIS. I AM A DALLAS COWBOYS & MICHIGAN WOLVERINE (COLLEGE UNI ONLY) SO ALOT OF MY TRADING IS FOR THOSE CARDS. I ALSO COLLECT NFL STARS AND KEY ROOKIES ON A YEARLY BASIS.
COLLECT DALLAS COWBOYS, MICHIGAN WOLVERINES IN COLLEGE UNI, KELVIN BENJAMIN JASON WITTEN & 2012 TOPPS CHROME DEMARCUS WARE RAINBOW (WANTS MARKED).

(06-27-2016, 09:42 PM)maizenblue73175 Wrote: WELCOME BACK! I AM NOT SURE HOW MUCH HELP I CAN BE. BUSTING PACKS IS REALLY FUN. IF YOU HAVE BANK ROLL, THE HIGHER END PRODUCTS ARE PANINI NATIONAL TREASURES, PANINI CONTENDERS, PANINI BLACK. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A FAN OF ROOKIES & STARS. I THOUGHT I READ SOMEWHERE THAT PANINI WILL BE THE ONLY CARD COMPANY TO HAVE NFL LICENSE. SO TOPPS LIKE UPPER DECK WILL BE IN COLLEGE UNIS. I AM A DALLAS COWBOYS & MICHIGAN WOLVERINE (COLLEGE UNI ONLY) SO ALOT OF MY TRADING IS FOR THOSE CARDS. I ALSO COLLECT NFL STARS AND KEY ROOKIES ON A YEARLY BASIS.
Thank you, yes just confirmed via

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/news/...usive-2016

Panini will be exclusive to the NFL this year. I do not like this one bit. I have seen what has happened to Madden since they got exclusive rights to the NFL. I know a physical product such as this is different, and will still be a quality product. But being the only product in town, I fear for drastic price spikes and less innovation in terms of card design.

NFL needs to stop being so greedy and lining pockets with licensing deals, and let the products and the market make them their money.

(06-27-2016, 10:11 PM)Farge43 Wrote: NFL needs to stop being so greedy and lining pockets with licensing deals, and let the products and the market make them their money.
It is unfortunate that consumers now have fewer options to pick from but this one can be blamed on the NFLPA. Keith Gordon helped pave the way for this. You can't blame him too much though, he's looking out for the NFLPA, not collectors.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/112907...eal-panini

Welcome back to the hobby! I would be interested in a new trent Richardson banner. Just let me know how much!
~ \\ * Collecting Jeff George * // ~

Welcome! Try to get some of your questions here...What's popular? Well, right now, in the offseason, only high end stuff, and even that isn't moving very quickly. Each year rookie autos are going fast at extremely high prices (check out some auction sales for Gurley, Odell Beckham, Mariota, or Winston). They don't always hold value though, as guys like Gordon drop off the statistical cliff. His stuff rivaled Gurley's at the start of last year. Now? Nooooooot so much. Veteran on card autos are next. Usually of the top players. Guys like AP, Rodgers, Brady, Favre, those guys are way at the top. Most popular releases probably depend on the tier. High end, National Treasures probably.Least popular? Base cards...brand, Sage and Score probably get the least love.

It's not easy to break even, or even get close, at least at the start. Chances of you getting your money back out of a box are not good. If you get a few hits, you can usually flip those for cards you want though, so it does take some of the expense out of it.

Price guide, obviously Beckett has one. Unfortunately, it's extremely out of date. As far as scams, if trading on here, make sure they have good feedback, or make them send first (though if you're new, you may be expected to send first to more established traders).

I use Sportscardalbum to upload photos for showing off or trade threads. Hopefully that helps some!

Everything is up to interpretation. Personally, I dislike football RCs. So many of the players on those cards will never see a Sunday snap. However, Beckett might still list that one card as $2 in a few years.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(06-30-2016, 01:28 PM)jonathani Wrote: Everything is up to interpretation. Personally, I dislike football RCs. So many of the players on those cards will never see a Sunday snap. However, Beckett might still list that one card as $2 in a few years.
Or Johnathan Franklins for $60+ Sad lol

Thanks very much for the advice everyone! Look forward to hitting the ground running once the new stuff starts to drop.

id find another hobby. Smile
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.