`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Panini Absolute vs. Panini Absolute Retail

Panini Absolute vs. Panini Absolute Retail
I was adding some 2012 Absolute's to Org and was wondering what difference was between the two versions, for example, 2012 Absolute #34 Tom Brady and 2012 Absolute Retail #34 Tom Brady?
Basically, what the difference is between the "2012 Absolute Retail" and "2012 Absolute" versions and if there are any distinguishing marks between the two versions listed in ORG.

RE: Panini Absolute vs. Panini Absolute Retail
Usually it is simply card stock. The retail is usually thinner, where the hobby is thicker and more rigid.

The hobby ones have a refractor like finish, while the retail ones don't. It's hard to see in pictures sometimes, but here is a comparison.
RETAIL: [Image: Tom-Brady.jpg?id=424013d0-960d-46c5-8c65...e=original]HOBBY:[Image: Tom-Brady.jpg?id=b2fea0be-6b19-49e9-bcfc...e=original]
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

It's really hard to tell sometimes without having one next to the other for comparison.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

It's annoying as heck trying to figure those out...

(05-22-2016, 11:38 AM)savagenate Wrote: It's annoying as heck trying to figure those out...
I hate that Panini makes separate hobby and retail versions of the same product. I wish they would call it something different. At least back in the day when Playoff did it they used the EXP and SSD identifiers and made the products distinctly different. What is even more annoying is that Panini makes Prestige in 3 different retails versions for basketball (regular, Plus, and Premium).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

These have bugged me for years b/c most people have no idea what the difference is or how to tell. The answer is easy though. Absolute & Absolute Memorabilia (Panini and Donruss versions) have a holofoil coating on the entire front for the hobby cards and the retail cards do not have holofoil at all.