`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Weakness, guilt, despair and joy on a Gypsy Queen journey (pushing my luck? Update)

Weakness, guilt, despair and joy on a Gypsy Queen journey (pushing my luck? Update)
As the title says, my Gypsy Queen Journey was one of many different emotions.
First was weakness, when I realized I was going back on my vow to cut down my retail purchases. But I needed some 2016 Gypsy Queen. I've always liked the product, usually did pretty well with hobby boxes throughout the years, but was a little dissatisfied with 2015. This year, it looked much better.
So Yesterday, I gave into my weakness & I attempted to find some GQ in the local Target. Nothing there Sad but a couple of Donruss blasters were staring at me, begging me to take them home. I succumbed to my weakness and bought them.
Here's what I got:
[Image: 9041E5DD-361C-4786-9935-F1FEDB71336A_zpslcpoz2f6.jpg]
[Image: 52F26DD9-C7B1-4DA7-A316-57EE37AF8FF2_zps7scdcvuo.jpg]
Harper DK pink & black /199
Waldrop auto
Sonny Gray jersey /99
Pedro Martinez /313
Not bad, but not GQ!
So then, I found myself in Wallyworld, staring at 3 boxes of GQ. Woo hoo
I really felt guilty, buying 3 blasters, when I knew I could get a hobby box with 2 relics and 2 autos for about the same money. But my waxrippin'weakness took control.
Despair set in after tearing into the first box and first pack of GQ when I found this ....
[Image: 415DD990-6185-4D15-9C06-3D57F7711964_zpsjggdeywo.jpg]
A Gehrig mini MVP card, mis-packed and bent/curled at both ends!
Good grief ... Is this a continuation of my damaged card streak!? Sad
But soon that feeling slowly faded as I pulled the following from the first 2 blasters
[Image: 7960FB97-45FA-4AE7-A1AB-035799391CD7_zpss1v9oxub.jpg]
Refsnyder auto (PC) a few Yankee mini PC Cards, Bryant and Trout base and a Hector Olivera auto /50
So far so good, but kinda feeling like the next box was gonna bomb. After finding my third mini exclusive I found a mini /50 ...
[Image: 2C7734D3-395D-491D-B498-ABD52F5D99D1_zps79dldzvf.jpg]
Bruce Sutter mini foil rainbow and gold /50
Logan Forsythe & Brooks Robinson mini /250
Jim Palmer & Catfish mini foil rainbow ... Very cool!
Thought the festivities were over and done, until I pulled this little joyus beauty!

Happy, happy, Joy, Joy!
[Image: 9974E8DC-7474-4DCC-B856-D8E6C4055BE0_zpspydwz9rz.jpg]
Trout mini relic 3/5 ... Woo hoo
Not too shabby. Sure a trout auto would have been nicer, but still ... Made me feel a whole lot less guilty for spending $60 on retail.
Thanks for looking!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: Weakness, guilt, despair and joy on a Gypsy Queen journey
Excellent pulls! Such a shame on that Gehrig though. I ramped up today and bought 4 of the Wally hanger packs and 5 blasters! Hoping to get some good stuff too. I'm convinced that they don't want me to buy hobby this year...

*edit* just realized my red framed Unit wasn't numbered Sad . That Trout is sick!

Nice, Doc! I had one brown floater of a box of GQ and am now focusing on singles of one particular player ... now I know where all the retail luck is going these days.
Kepler

Wow, that's sweet, congrats...Smile
[Image: cyber-1.png]
Bucket
Collecting CURRENT Raiders....Carr, Mack, Bo, brown ++

Nice pulls Doc! That Trout is a beauty.

That Trout is pretty awesome, Doc! And I imagine the Yankee-heavy GQ blaster was quite well-received! Congrats!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

DrM...1st, I got your package.....yours is going tomorrow (sorry about that). Now for the GQ. Sorry about the Gehrig, but don't fret, one will be coming your way. Congrats on the Trout.....that's a great hit, especially out of retail. Myself, because I really like the old time feel of the cards and the overall quality and pictures, GQ is the best. Enjoy your cards and I have a little surprise for you coming once i get mine sorted.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Very nice Trout!
To facilitate trading, please mark your wants in the "wants" column and "trade for" column in your Org.
[Image: Henderson-Discussion-Signature.jpg]

Love the Trout!!!!
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

(04-14-2016, 05:16 PM)wpro11 Wrote: Excellent pulls! Such a shame on that Gehrig though. I ramped up today and bought 4 of the Wally hanger packs and 5 blasters! Hoping to get some good stuff too. I'm convinced that they don't want me to buy hobby this year...
*edit* just realized my red framed Unit wasn't numbered Sad . That Trout is sick!
Thanks! Even though the 'Big Unit' wasn't numbered card, it is still a HUGE hit!
(04-14-2016, 06:10 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: Nice, Doc! I had one brown floater of a box of GQ and am now focusing on singles of one particular player ... now I know where all the retail luck is going these days.
Thanks, Jared! Sorry about your stinker-roo of a box. They can't all be mega hit boxes like Joe's superlative break. Law of averages, my man. After a cold spell, it means you're due! I know how my retail luck comes and goes, so I'm quitting while I'm ahead. I might pick up a hanger or 2 of GQ, but probably not going back to blasters. My luck is done there.

(04-14-2016, 06:10 PM)cybertrenz02 Wrote: Wow, that's sweet, congrats...Smile
Thanks!
(04-14-2016, 06:18 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Nice pulls Doc! That Trout is a beauty.
Thanks, Matt!
(04-14-2016, 07:24 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: DrM...1st, I got your package.....yours is going tomorrow (sorry about that). Now for the GQ. Sorry about the Gehrig, but don't fret, one will be coming your way. Congrats on the Trout.....that's a great hit, especially out of retail. Myself, because I really like the old time feel of the cards and the overall quality and pictures, GQ is the best. Enjoy your cards and I have a little surprise for you coming once i get mine sorted.
Thanks in advance, Joe! Glad you got the box, hope the other Phillies goodies are helpful. Take your time, as always, I'm never in a rush!

My retail luck can't get much better, but you had the right idea getting a case. GQ has always been a fun and fulfilling product. Agreed, GQ (and Heritage) give me that nostalgic feeling and remind me why I started collecting cards in the first place (minus the stick of gum Smile ) I think GQ is the better value, since 2 autos & 2 relics per box beats the heck out of Heritage's 1 auto or 1 relic per box.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.