`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
1/1 Questions

1/1 Questions
Does anyone have any 1/1 cards or other very low numbered cards of players who are considered busts?

I checked Beckett for Connor Cook(Michigan State) who is yet to be drafted and found 98 items listed including almost 30 1/1s. Does this seem insane to anyone? I immediately wondered if there are any 1/1s out there of players who never made an NFL roster.

I am new to Football collecting and just returning to sports cards after almost 20 years. I have not made up my mind yet on 1/1 cards. So far though, I have enjoyed how easy it has been to pick up autos of my favorite Spartans because they have not been successful in the NFL. I already have several of my personal favorites(Drew Stanton and Javon Ringer) I acquired for next to nothing. It looks like it will be a bit tougher to lay hands on some Le'Veon Bell and Magic Johnson stuff.

RE: 1/1 Questions
I collected 20 years ago as well during the card boom of the late 80's early nineties and then got out in 1993. I got back into collecting in 2011. I am personally not a fan of 1/1's. I see the appeal you can say you are the only one that owns it. But to me if you do 500 different 1/1s for a player it kind of loses its appeal. I am also a completest collector and 1/1's make it virtually impossible to get a complete collection of a player or team. I think they should make at minimum 50 of every card so everyone has a chance to get one. I do appreciate the lower print runs now compared to the junk wax era when the printing presses were going non-stop. Here's a scenario about one of ones I had thought of that sucks. Let's say I buy a box of National Treasures and leave it unopened in my closet for 30 years. And it has a 1/1 of a player you collect and you've been searching forever for that card and it's just sitting in an unopened box unbeknownst to me.
Also what if a 1/1 gets destroyed in a fire or earthquake and no one knows?

Check to see how many cards and 1/1s they have for Michael Sam. For not even playing in an NFL game, he had some insane hype and media coverage.

(04-06-2016, 06:37 PM)jjoy Wrote: I collected 20 years ago as well during the card boom of the late 80's early nineties and then got out in 1993. I got back into collecting in 2011. I am personally not a fan of 1/1's. I see the appeal you can say you are the only one that owns it. But to me if you do 500 different 1/1s for a player it kind of loses its appeal. I am also a completest collector and 1/1's make it virtually impossible to get a complete collection of a player or team. I think they should make at minimum 50 of every card so everyone has a chance to get one. I do appreciate the lower print runs now compared to the junk wax era when the printing presses were going non-stop. Here's a scenario about one of ones I had thought of that sucks. Let's say I buy a box of National Treasures and leave it unopened in my closet for 30 years. And it has a 1/1 of a player you collect and you've been searching forever for that card and it's just sitting in an unopened box unbeknownst to me.
Also what if a 1/1 gets destroyed in a fire or earthquake and no one knows?

I completely agree with you.
The whole 1/1 concept is much more frustrating than satisfying to collectors.

I completely disagree ... I find it extremely fun tracking down cards for my 1/1 PC .... I know for a fact I will never get every Dolphins 1/1 so I dont let it bother me if some slip by either by not seeing or by being way over priced ......

If ya got a few mins check out this thread....

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1572319.html

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

Do you still have the Javon ringer 1/1s? I been collecting him for years now

I've pulled 1/1 of guys who are already out of football by the time the product even came out, so yeah, it happens. I remember one product in particular I bought a ton of, and pulled a bunch of redemptions for autos /5 and red ink autos. Waited a while for those redemptions, most of the guys were cut by Opening Week, and THEN all the autos showed up.....
''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)