`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1991 Conlon Variations

RE: 1991 Conlon Variations
(03-13-2016, 09:13 AM)hittinaway Wrote: There is a Conlon Baseball card collector who has a blog and maybe he might know. http://conloncards.blogspot.com

It's a pretty massive set and many of the cards do have prototypes and some with different border colors.
Thanks. This was very helpful and will probably answer other questions I have about these cards.

FYI - here's what I learned regarding these particular variations (cut and pasted from his site).

"The '91 Set was the first to be printed by Megacards in partnership with The Sporting News. The set consists of 330 cards released in 3 printings.

1st printing (Very Rare)

Cards 1-67 were labeled "HALL OF FAME" in the top right corner. Since no information is available suggesting this was ever sold as a full set, I have assumed the 1st printing only included cards 1-67, possibly distributed only to the hobby as "prototypes" of the coming full set.

2nd Printing (Rare)

The 2nd printing also was missing the MLB logo from all cards but the first 67 cards were labeled "HOF(+induction year)" in the top right corner. This is assumed to be a design change to include the induction year. Since there are cards numbered 68-330 that do not have the MLB logo, it is assumed the 2nd printing was, in fact, a 330 card set.

3rd Printing (Common)

The 3rd printing (and the most common) finally included the MLB logo on all 330 cards while the first 67 cards were labeled "HOF(+induction year)" in the top right corner - the same as the 2nd printing. This is the set most commonly found."
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

RE: 1991 Conlon Variations
I have this set and haven't looked at it in years. It appears to me I have the comon set because the first 67 cards have HOF+year inducted and the MLB logo on the back. It is a fun set to look through anyway.
I guess I had forgotten how large this set was. 1430 cards. The last 110 cards have a gold border around the picture and a gold Conlon logo in the lower right hand corner. They also have a Conlon logo on the back in place of the MLB logo. After looking at my collection, I realize the set stretched from 1991-95. Still a large set.