Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do?

What would you do?
Hey everyone,

I need some advice on how to proceed with my current situation. I have a few autographed items I bought from a local card store about 10 - 12 years ago. The store is still in business.

One bat with 6 yankee signatures (Jeter, Giambi, Williams, Oniell, Mussina, Torre) I acquired this piece as a gift from a family member. I was there to pick it out. I think I was 13 at the time. I remember the price seemed very reasonable but because I was young and too trusting, I didnt assume anything. A few months ago, I took a much closer look at the bat. Something looked funny. I sent it to JSA and they could not authenticate it for a number of reasons.

I have a few other pieces from this same store that look questionable. I am going to send them to JSA or PSA (ball, bat, photo all from major stars). If/When they come back with a letter stating they could not authenticate the items, what would you do? And yes, ALL of the items came with a COA from the store. (Im much more careful now)

Collecting: Bryce Harper, Cal Ripken Jr, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and Ted Williams.

RE: What would you do?
I'd let it be known but I think too much time has passed. Assuming they are a legitimate business, they probably didn't know that the items were fake. Now 10-12 years later they are informed that items they sold a decade ago were illegitimate. They will most likely think your trying to scam them unless your really familiar with them. Ultimately if my LCS was unknowingly selling a bunch of fakes I'd have to cease doing business with them because of their incompetence.

If the store is still in business and you have the COAs from the store, then carefully read what the COAs say. Most don't really say much, as they guarantee authenticity but don't provide recourse on a return for questionable authenticity. If the COAs do offer refund, then there you go. If they don't offer anything on the COA, then I would take the letters you get back from JSA/PSA and show them to the shop and see if they offer to do anything for you. Do not demand a refund or anything else, but rather see what they offer. If they start claiming that JSA/PSA doesn't get everything right, and that they stick behind the legitimacy, then you know that they know they're selling fake stuff. If they apologize and try to fix the situation with a refund or exchange, then proceed as you wish.
That being said, if they do end up blaming JSA/PSA you can always mention that the FBI has been dealing with sports memorabilia fraud for a while and that they trust JSA/PSA as a credible source for authenticity. You could insinuate that the FBI might be interested in checking out stores that are known for selling forged autographs. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, and that it was an honest mistake by the shop.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

If the store put their name on the COA, I would bring along your JSA/PSA letters and show them. Ask them what they can do for you. It's their reputation that they decided to put on that COA so a good businessman would attempt to make things right to some end.
If they flat out say there is nothing they can do....well then they are just pushing anything and anything and attaching COA's to give customers a false piece of mind.
Then you may want to mention something about negative comments about to be left on Yelp on Google.
Yelp and Google are the bane of small business's. As well as contacting your local PD, it is illegal to sell forged memorabilia as legit. Police almost always will follow up eventually with a visit. And heck go for gold and contact the local paper, most local news tabloids are always looking for a local story to publish. Another thing a small business does not want. Sucks to come down hard on an established local small business but if your selling merchandise with COA's, it better be legit.

(02-22-2016, 05:21 PM)charleybrown Wrote: Something looked funny. I sent it to JSA and they could not authenticate it for a number of reasons.
What "looked funny" & what were reasons given for not authenticating it?
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

I'd think this is pretty easy to deal with. First of all, I doubt you have any receipts so when you go back to the store, I'd strongly suggest coming up with a price of something fair for both you and them. Either in trade on new unopened product or as cash back. Remember to keep in mind of the vast price differences between when the items were purchased and the rates today.

I would also tell you to wait to discuss it when there is nobody else in the store and be overly nice about everything. If you are rude and cause a scene in front of other customers, they are likely to toss you out with a few choice words. Be nice. Even when you tell them you are going to take them to court, still be nice.

If they are unwilling to work with you, I would then tell them you are going to take legal action and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and give them negative feedback online (Google etc.). If they are still in the business of selling autographed items, they don't want that crap out on the internet.

If you need to take legal action, you can file in small claims court for next to nothing. Just a filing fee. And you can represent yourself. Simply tell the Judge they sold you items that can't be 3rd party authenticated by well recognized firms in this industry. Show him the COA the store issued for each item and this will be a slam dunk deal. I think the most you can sue for in small claims court is $500 but it would be $500 better than where you are with a bunch of fake crap today.

Either way, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Wouldn't there be some statute of limitations on this? Since it was so long ago?

(02-22-2016, 10:12 PM)BGS_Graded_Card_Guy Wrote: I'd think this is pretty easy to deal with. First of all, I doubt you have any receipts so when you go back to the store, I'd strongly suggest coming up with a price of something fair for both you and them. Either in trade on new unopened product or as cash back. Remember to keep in mind of the vast price differences between when the items were purchased and the rates today.

I would also tell you to wait to discuss it when there is nobody else in the store and be overly nice about everything. If you are rude and cause a scene in front of other customers, they are likely to toss you out with a few choice words. Be nice. Even when you tell them you are going to take them to court, still be nice.

If they are unwilling to work with you, I would then tell them you are going to take legal action and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and give them negative feedback online (Google etc.). If they are still in the business of selling autographed items, they don't want that crap out on the internet.

If you need to take legal action, you can file in small claims court for next to nothing. Just a filing fee. And you can represent yourself. Simply tell the Judge they sold you items that can't be 3rd party authenticated by well recognized firms in this industry. Show him the COA the store issued for each item and this will be a slam dunk deal. I think the most you can sue for in small claims court is $500 but it would be $500 better than where you are with a bunch of fake crap today.

Either way, good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Thanks,
- Steve

I think in the politest possible way you have the store verify their COA and show providence for authenticity. If it plays out they are real or you have more positive assurance (pictures, signing dates etc..) send that I go back to psa for updates?

If they can not authenticate, ask for refund.. There is no statute of limitation on a COA and if that store wants to keep its reputation they will honor the mistake and make it right.

Good luck and sorry
Collecting Vintage football and all things Mickey Mantle.
[Image: th_598ff54f.jpg]

(02-22-2016, 10:10 PM)krn001 Wrote: What "looked funny" & what were reasons given for not authenticating it?
JSA gave me six reasons - 1) Atypical letter slant, angle, and/or pitch. 2) Irregular shape and or formation 3) Irregular overlapping 4) Irregular spacing 5) Lacks spontaneity, rhythm, conviction, and or movement 6) Sizing of letters disproportionate/exaggerated/undersized

What I thought looked funny, to me, that the pressure to sign was the same on ALL the signatures.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Much appreciated
Collecting: Bryce Harper, Cal Ripken Jr, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and Ted Williams.

(02-23-2016, 06:11 AM)sshissler Wrote: Wouldn't there be some statute of limitations on this? Since it was so long ago?
Nope.