`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 GRADE or NOT 2 Grade

2 GRADE or NOT 2 Grade
JMHO: I don't see a lot of value or meaning in grading most all modern era - pre-1987 football cards. I see the def value in grading the old ones, but hardly any with the new stuff.

Why? For one I think it distracts from the appearance in a display - + you need to buy a special display.

secondly, maybe you can bring up cetain modern cards that are very condition sensitive, but on the whole it doesn't have MAJOR impact on the value.

Lastly, I don't care how qualified the person is (or say they are) it is a subjective science.

I am going to contradict myself a little with the last comment - I do see the need on old expensive vintage - it does authenticate the card. In the modern day of ebay trading it also does provide a independent 3rd party opinion - again as it mainly deals with "vintage" cards.

I think it is over-used a primarily a $ maker for PSA, Beckett (who do the best job with the slabbing), and the other companies offering it as a service.

My 2 cents - thoughts?

RE: 2 GRADE or NOT 2 Grade
Get back to me when your house floods and the only cards that survive are the ones in graded holders.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(02-20-2016, 02:08 PM)hemipowered Wrote: JMHO: I don't see a lot of value or meaning in grading most all modern era - pre-1987 football cards. I see the def value in grading the old ones, but hardly any with the new stuff.

Why? For one I think it distracts from the appearance in a display - + you need to buy a special display.

secondly, maybe you can bring up cetain modern cards that are very condition sensitive, but on the whole it doesn't have MAJOR impact on the value.

Lastly, I don't care how qualified the person is (or say they are) it is a subjective science.

I am going to contradict myself a little with the last comment - I do see the need on old expensive vintage - it does authenticate the card. In the modern day of ebay trading it also does provide a independent 3rd party opinion - again as it mainly deals with "vintage" cards.

I think it is over-used a primarily a $ maker for PSA, Beckett (who do the best job with the slabbing), and the other companies offering it as a service.

My 2 cents - thoughts?
It is scary how much you and I think alike!

I literally had a stack of cards the other day, examining them for possible grading. In the end I decided that the only cards worth grading are vintage cards, and cards produced from '80-'89. Outside of that...pfffft, I don't see it. I won a card last year--a 2005 Elite Teams multi jersey card of the Vikings, graded BGS 9.5. I won it for 11.00 delivered. Unless you are doing some gigantic bulk grading IT COSTS THAT MUCH TO GET IT GRADED! It is a stinkin' waste of money. But then, I do pay money for pieces of cardboard so what do I know.

Now, I do have one exception--if you do it for you and not for profit. I will use pudge27t as my example. He super collects Reggie Bush and is in the process of grading a ton of his cards. From all I have been able to gather this is his next level of super collecting. I can, and do respect that. I love how pudge approaches collecting and grading. He has inspired me to eventually do the same with my Alstott PC...maybe. It's just so darn expensive to grade!

On a different note, when and if I do start grading heavily, I will likely go through SGC. I tend to trust them more than the others; not sure why. Maybe because they are the little guy with a good reputation...I don't know. I do know that I have always liked their product and I also think they have the best looking slab on the market. And it doesn't hurt that they charge less than the other guys,..HA!
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

I grade only for my PC, and then mainly for protection and curiosity about the grade. Grading cards I want to trade or sell just adds to the price I put into it and am not always going to get back.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I also grade for my personal collection. I collect rookie all-pro cards with autos. Should have some mail from BGS tomorrow.
[]

I guess I still don't get the sense of grading anything other that vintage and very condition sensitive cards. I just think it's a waste of $- as far as protection-insure, safety box, etc. If I am going to display them in a case - what does it help having them in another case- if there were a fire or theft - the case wont help.

Understand that is just my opinion, I'm not saying my thinking is right. I guess I really don't know why you would pay to have someone grade a modern card - I just bought a Wilson RC Auto #'d to 16 and a JJ Watt RC Auto #'d to 5 - both had really high grades (9.5 and 10 Auto) and the price was not effected.