`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is the end near ?

Is the end near ?
Has anyone looked recently at the completed listings for Upper Deck The Cup, particularly the higher end stuff. The fact is that these high-priced cards are not moving. The only ones that move are the ones listed auction style (for obvious reasons).

Are they priced too high? ... Have the sellers invested so much money that they have to stick to their guns or lose some serious cash. When I first got into serious collecting was with the original 2005-06 The Cup featuring Crosby. For example, collectors that paid $10,000 plus for some cards I'm afraid will be taking them to their grave. Phaneuf cards #'ed to 3 selling for $2000 plus then might fetch $200 today.

Let me know your thoughts

RE: Is the end near ?
(02-08-2016, 08:31 PM)4Blake4 Wrote: For example, collectors that paid $10,000 plus for some cards I'm afraid will be taking them to their grave. Phaneuf cards #'ed to 3 selling for $2000 plus then might fetch $200 today.
I'm somehow getting the same feeling with McDavid cards.

(02-09-2016, 11:16 AM)hcleeves Wrote: I'm somehow getting the same feeling with McDavid cards.
Exactly my point .... buy a Crosby or McDavid card for say $10,000 or put that $10,000 into an RRSP .... which is going to return you more in the future? If you're buying these cards at this price for an investment, sit down and do the math.

One thing to keep in mind is people arguably had more disposable income back then than they do today.

Cards aren't as rare as they were in the past. I recall a time when you crapped your pants if you pulled a card #'d/10. These days, every set has patches, auto's rc, 1/1, #/10, /25 and so on in 20 different releases every year. Why pay $200 for a patch card from The Cup, when i can go get other just as nice patch cards of the same player/team for $2.99
Pretty much trying to work on my YG PC.

I haven't collected hockey in awhile but at the same time I haven't been chasing any sports lately. I'll always love my teams, but sports cards just don't do it for me anymore. There are just sooo many parallels anymore that stuff just isn't rare and unique. Baseball stuff especially. Oh yay I just pulled a dual relic auto /10....oh but then there is a triple relic auto /10, a quad relic auto 10, a single auto /10, and then all of those same cards in a parallel /25. Topps Supreme is horrible with this....an auto /50, /45, /35, /25, /20, /15, /10, /5, /1 all of the same player. I've since switched over to collecting James Bond cards. If you haven't checked the stuff out, it's great. Their relic and autograph card designs don't change over the years, they just keep adding to the checklist with each release. All this player worn junk and sticker autos is ridiculous. With the Rittenhouse Bond cards that I've been collecting, all the autos are bold and on card, and the relics are all genuine from the movie and the item the piece is from is pictured on the back of each card. Card companies have gotten away from proving the legitimacy of their relic cards because they are everywhere now and why should they have to prove it to the consumer? Topps and Upper Deck at their rookie shoots just have players throw on multiple jerseys and kabaam an endless supply of player worn stuff to stick in cards!

Yep it is getting close to the end for me Too many redundant pictures of the player on several cards. Need to scale back and focus on older sets.
[Image: scan0004-1-1.jpg] [Image: scan0005-1-1.jpg]
Collecting; Flyers-Red Wings-Brodeur-Cujo-Hasek-Shanahan, 04-05 Franchises Memorabilia

I am all about Patrick Roy base and inserts now. I don't even attempt to collect his GU and AU cards now. So many produced and most hold very little value compared to the past.

I am also glad I unloaded my extra McDavid YGs when they were commanding top $. I am sure they will spike again at some point but I don't see people paying over $200usd for them again.

This is a tough hobby as there really isn't value in products anymore. You either hit it big or you get nothing in return it seems. Trading is a lot harder now with the cost of shipping from US to Canada. The low Canadian $ is really hard to swallow too when buying boxes.
[Image: 36415429146_421111660f_b.jpg]Scott Nobles, on Flickr

I won a really sick Ovechkin patch card for 25 bucks. I think the end is near.

I wonder if this is just like what happened in the 90's.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches