`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is the end near ?

RE: Is the end near ?
I think the reason why high end does not move for much anymore has to do with supply. In 2005-06 the only high ends-- $100 a pack or more were Ultimate collection and The Cup. Last year we had those 2 plus SP GU, and UD Premier. This year Black diamond went high end as well as UD Black returning.

Just think they have killed the high end by making to much of it. Put the Black Diamond and SP GU back to what they used to be.

The 90's boom was a little different. In the 90's everyone collected, moms, dads, Nan's, pops, boys, girls, everyone got caught up in the excitment. There were card stores in every corner of every town, every corner store, gas station and drug store sold cards. To keep up with the demand companies over produced cards flooding the market plus there was card companies popping up as well. Soon after most stopped collecting and moved on to the next niche collectable (beanie babies?). even though today cards are over produced and the market is flooded with gu, autos and low number inserts there are bigger problems and that's the cost. Card companies have taking a kids hobby and turned it into big business. Not only have they chased away the kids they also chased away the working collector. Collectors have changed they only want the big money cards, the hobby is a huge gamble now and like all gambling you usually lose. over the past 5+ years there is very little extra money around and most families have trouble making ends meet. Peoples debt load is at a high time high, people can't afford to rack up high visa bills on the hopes of making money on cards. It has happened for years and it is catching up to collectors.

I seriously think that you will see the hobby go back to the way it use to be, somewhat anyhow. I don't think the high end products will survive. We already see game used and autos of stars not selling even at rock bottom prices. I think we will get back to lower end sets continuing to sell, sets like Ud 1 and 2 will survive but the high end stuff will die. I might be wrong but I don't see how the hobby can survive. Kids, teens and young adults don't collect anymore, sure there are some but not many. I think the hobby is in for serious change.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.

The end isn't near......its here. Just spent $3600 on a case of SPGU and my case hit from 20 packs was a Dylan Larkin Draft Days auto Letter. Nobodies fault but mine, but really tired of being the sucker that drops that $3600 only to have the collectors buy the card's back for cheap and I recoup only about $600 on the case. Even a dummy like me realizes those numbers spell nothing but economic suicide. I am done cracking.

I realized it back around 10 years ago. Now each year I usually bust a box of OPC and UD series 1. Now I buy any singles I want and don't waste money hoping to hit something. Too be honest I usually stick to buying vintage and modern Opc cards and a few Newfoundland born players.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.

It actually scares me. I would love to collect something that my kids some day will be able to set a value to. Not big bucks, but not worthless like my fathers collection when he handed it over to me. I wish there'd be something and it makes me feel like im just throwing money away. I feel like i should just save up and spend that money on silver and gold bars Smile
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

(02-17-2016, 04:58 PM)Optimus_Prime Wrote: It actually scares me. I would love to collect something that my kids some day will be able to set a value to. Not big bucks, but not worthless like my fathers collection when he handed it over to me. I wish there'd be something and it makes me feel like im just throwing money away. I feel like i should just save up and spend that money on silver and gold bars Smile
Totally agree !!! It's a hobby not a means of investment. The new edition of UD The Cup 2015-16 cases and tins with Connor McDavid no doubt will be costly. If you happen to pull a "dud" case , that's when the seller has to ask ridiculous prices to just try and break even. We've all seen it.

Look at the price of high-end Crosby cards, i.e. Shields and Property Of, they will NEVER sell at the current offerings. Invest your hard earned money on YOUR future, not theirs !!

This also applies to hockey cards:
"Baseball cards have no intrinsic value. They are functionally worthless as are cancelled stamps, knick knacks, empty beer cans, the Mona Lisa and pearl earrings. The value of a baseball card, as the value of these other collectables, can only be assessed by you and your enjoyment in viewing and possessing these cardboard swatches."
Beckett's "Baseball Price Guide #2" from 1980, p. 23.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Good. I'm sick of card companies artificially building value into their product by simply charging more for it. Shame on anyone who didn't see through that ruse.
[Image: sp9m5j.jpg]

(02-16-2016, 05:55 PM)newfiecomicguy1 Wrote: The 90's boom was a little different. In the 90's everyone collected, moms, dads, Nan's, pops, boys, girls, everyone got caught up in the excitment. There were card stores in every corner of every town, every corner store, gas station and drug store sold cards. To keep up with the demand companies over produced cards flooding the market plus there was card companies popping up as well.
With ebay, comc, etc... I would say in the digital age that it is pretty much the same. And as for card companies popping up, just look at card companies today. Back then you had Topps/O-Pee-Chee, Fleer, Donruss, Score, Upper Deck... but now each company has multiple upon multiple releases of the sports they have license over. Heck their are probably more sets today than in the 90s when you think about it. I am a baseball collector. Off the top of my head we have in baseball alone (and I'm sure Hockey parallels this):
Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman Prospects, Bowman Chrome Prospects, Bowman Draft, Bowman Chrome Draft, Topps (series one, two, and update), Topps Heritage, Topps Heritage Minors, Topps Pro Debut, Topps Archives, Topps Gypsy Queen, Topps Allen and Ginter, Topps Opening Day, Topps Museum, Topps Triple Threads, Topps Stickers, Donruss, Donruss Diamond Kings, and I'm going to stop there since I'm tired of typing. Then each of these has endless parallels as you state below.

(02-16-2016, 05:55 PM)newfiecomicguy1 Wrote: Soon after most stopped collecting and moved on to the next niche collectable (beanie babies?). even though today cards are over produced and the market is flooded with gu, autos and low number inserts there are bigger problems and that's the cost. Card companies have taking a kids hobby and turned it into big business. Not only have they chased away the kids they also chased away the working collector. Collectors have changed they only want the big money cards, the hobby is a huge gamble now and like all gambling you usually lose. over the past 5+ years there is very little extra money around and most families have trouble making ends meet. Peoples debt load is at a high time high, people can't afford to rack up high visa bills on the hopes of making money on cards. It has happened for years and it is catching up to collectors.

I seriously think that you will see the hobby go back to the way it use to be, somewhat anyhow. I don't think the high end products will survive. We already see game used and autos of stars not selling even at rock bottom prices. I think we will get back to lower end sets continuing to sell, sets like Ud 1 and 2 will survive but the high end stuff will die. I might be wrong but I don't see how the hobby can survive. Kids, teens and young adults don't collect anymore, sure there are some but not many. I think the hobby is in for serious change.
I hope!

[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

If people would just stop breaking case after case after case just for resale purposes, the market would settle itself in my opinion. Look at McDavid's Young Guns card. I know somebody that broke 35 cases of this product just for reselling; didnt even keep a couple copies for their collection. Thats insane.

Those people are flooding the singles market and it brings the price down very quickly. And if there wouldnt be that much demand (UD Series one Hobby was sold out in a WEEK), manufacturers wouldnt price their products with crazy prices like we see today. Sad story is that those people break so much, they dont even break even.

Every year since I got back into the hobby, I used to buy a case of series 1 and 2 and always enjoyed being able to recover a few dollars from my 22 spare young guns cards and various inserts that were in my case. This year, forget it. You end up getting a buck a card; IF its gonna sell.

As for higher end products, lets just say I got burnt very quickly. The worst recent example would be Team Canada Master Collection. 3000-3500 a box and you barely get 1000 worth in there; 2000 if you hit big.

I'm done with case breaking and completely done with high end products. I'm still stuck with a good % of my inserts and rookies from my two cases and will most likely end up trading them for older cards since the resale market is saturated. Back to a couple boxes per release and then I go single shopping.

This is where the fun is all about!