`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to sell a Huge One Player Collection?

Best way to sell a Huge One Player Collection?
Hello all...

I am considering selling my Huge Randy White Collection. I think I would be considered a "Super Collector".

I was looking through everything and it is a bit overwhelming.

I might keep a few cards but I think it is time to sell my cards.

All they are doing is sitting in a cabinet...

I am still on the fence about it. I am not sure what I should do?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
[Image: Star.gif]

RE: Best way to sell a Huge One Player Collection?
eBay will get the most eyes on it, and will move it the quickest, but the most fees. COMC.com's fee structure is only advantageous if you're not cashing out and only reinvesting back into the site, plus it'll take forever to move them. Beckett Marketplace I've not used as a seller, but I've used as a buyer and I can only guess that the fees are less in that a card by the same seller on BMP is also on eBay. On BMP it's $.30 and on eBay it is $1.50. I've decided that the 80% mark up is because of the fees associated with eBay (Shipping costs and discounts are the same).

There's also localized Facebook groups and Craigslist. FB groups have zero fees but a huge risk to personal safety if not careful.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

If you live in Texas, I would try Craigslist. eBay would be next. Facebook is a great option if you can go through paypal goods, as I think you get full protection as a seller there. COMC is cool, but you have to price it all individually. I have yet to use Beckett Marketplace.
You don't have an in-person auto authenticated from the year he won the SB MVP do you?

Thanks for the advice.

Not in Texas... But I think Craiglist would be a great idea if I was there.

I was thinking of grouping similar cards together and listing them like that... instead of the whole collection at once.

I am organizing them now into groups and I think I might try eBay first. A little bit at a time...

Good luck!

It really depends on what you have in terms of volume and value. You might actually try calling some card shops in the Dallas area to see if they know of any Randy White collectors that might be interested in buying a large collection. That would be the first thing that I would do, as phone calls are easy and if there is even a little interest you will definitely get more money than you would from listing on eBay.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(02-10-2016, 09:48 AM)mg54 Wrote: Thanks for the advice.

Not in Texas... But I think Craiglist would be a great idea if I was there.

I was thinking of grouping similar cards together and listing them like that... instead of the whole collection at once.

I am organizing them now into groups and I think I might try eBay first. A little bit at a time...
Even though you get hit hard between Paypla/ebay with their big fees it is the best option. TRUST ME - Craigslist is really bad for selling just about anything because everyone wants the stuff for nothing - and insulting if you try and ask for fair prices. It's a good place to get rid of your total junk, but anything decent look elsewhere. In addition to ebay; Amazon, and other sports card web sites. Ebay is probably the best - and plan on having it sit there a long time if you want a good/fair market price. Keep some of your favorite - and display them in your TV, man-cave, etc room.

(02-20-2016, 02:44 PM)hemipowered Wrote: Even though you get hit hard between Paypla/ebay with their big fees it is the best option. TRUST ME - Craigslist is really bad for selling just about anything because everyone wants the stuff for nothing - and insulting if you try and ask for fair prices. It's a good place to get rid of your total junk, but anything decent look elsewhere. In addition to ebay; Amazon, and other sports card web sites. Ebay is probably the best - and plan on having it sit there a long time if you want a good/fair market price. Keep some of your favorite - and display them in your TV, man-cave, etc room.
I agree...

I have been going through my collection and putting some cards on the side that I might want to keep.

(02-10-2016, 01:58 PM)djohn Wrote: It really depends on what you have in terms of volume and value. You might actually try calling some card shops in the Dallas area to see if they know of any Randy White collectors that might be interested in buying a large collection. That would be the first thing that I would do, as phone calls are easy and if there is even a little interest you will definitely get more money than you would from listing on eBay.
Sage advice! This should definitely be your starting point.

I'm not a fan of COMC. As mentioned it taskes too long and really doesn't work in your favor. Some people like it but I have found that they are usually dealers in the latest and greatest fad players or the eternal super stars.

Craigslist...no.

If you do end up selling them on ebay, a method I have always found great success with is

1. I begin by selling everything individually; always more money if you can sell them solo. I then let those items ride for a few auction cycles.
2. After that I start combining into various groups, i.e. inserts, parallels, rookie year, etc. I usually do this only with low end at first, keeping higher end items solo for a while longer. In your case you have one player so your choices are a little more limited; easier for you!
3. I then take what is left and lump it together in larger lots, eventually adding any higher end stuff that is left, and this continues until it is all gone.

I will say that I have never tried it exclusively with a solo player all the way through, but I do always make it through a few steps with individual players. Team lots and such would be my last ditch effort but honestly...I have never made it that far.

Also, I am willing to start my auctions low. Don't let greed interfere with your goals. Most of us do not get into this hobby to make a profit. If we happen to make a little money along the way that is a bonus, but it is not the drive. When I decide to exit the hobby you can bet I'm dumping it ALL with the expectation of a loss. But you can also bet that I will take that money to the bank with a smile!

In the meantime, until they are all gone, consider loading what you have on Sports Card Album. It costs nothing and you can attach a selling price to the card. The start posting on all the boards that you are selling everything and provide a link to the album. As you sell items on ebay or wherever, just start deleting them or moving them to a "SOLD" album. Again...there are ZERO fees. what you sell the card for is what you get. Why more people don't use that site is beyond me. And no, I do not work for them.

Best to you, man! Whatever way you decide to tackle this, I hope you do well and are happy with the results in the end.
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

When in doubt, I use the Bay. I may not get the best price, but I feel I have a better chance of quickly moving product than through some other venues.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.