`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early opinion of 2016 Topps series I base

Early opinion of 2016 Topps series I base
I know it's early and they have only been out for less than a week. But I just want to know what people are thinking about this years topps base. I like the set a lot. Awesome action shots sharp clear photos and no borders makes the card stand out. I think it's one of the best sets I've seen in a long time. It's a keeper. If you don't own a base topps set, this is the one to buy.

RE: Early opinion of 2016 Topps series I base
I'm loving the base set. The photos look like they're actually trying again, and the design is something different instead of updating from year to year. I think they knocked it out of the park.

The inserts, however, could use a little TLC.
Kepler

I like it too. I bought my first two packs today and got 5(!) dupes between them though.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I second Jared in that the photography goes a long way towards making the cards better. All-in-all, same old flagship. Either you like it or you don't. I've never been able to stand the inserts with flagship, which makes it an automatic no for me... This year is the same.
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

Love the base set but come on topps, how long can you keep reprinting old cards and stamping junk era wax with a buyback stamp??
Current wants:
2023 Topps Aces
Pete Rose
Ohio State Football
Adley Rutschman

I think they did good with the photographs used for the cards but echoing the disenchantment with the typical 1,000 insert sets and parallels. Also, it seems I am far from being part of the majority but I like a border used on the flagship set.

I am getting ready to start opening the boxes a received Friday. I need about 10-more hours a day.

I do like the look and design of the base set but I've gotta say that I'm not real impressed with the inserts either. I collect Hall of Famers and there's a ton of them to collect again this year but as mentioned earlier, they don't look that different from years past. I'd like to see some ingenuity. And glancing through the insert checklists they have 100 Years of Wrigley Field without a Harry Caray card and a Greatest Streaks set without Joe DiMaggio. What's up with that?
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(02-07-2016, 01:37 PM)zeprock Wrote: I do like the look and design of the base set but I've gotta say that I'm not real impressed with the inserts either. I collect Hall of Famers and there's a ton of them to collect again this year but as mentioned earlier, they don't look that different from years past. I'd like to see some ingenuity. And glancing through the insert checklists they have 100 Years of Wrigley Field without a Harry Caray card and a Greatest Streaks set without Joe DiMaggio. What's up with that?
Also regarding 100 Years at Wrigley - They did not include Kerry Wood's 20K game.

(02-07-2016, 01:37 PM)zeprock Wrote: I do like the look and design of the base set but I've gotta say that I'm not real impressed with the inserts either. I collect Hall of Famers and there's a ton of them to collect again this year but as mentioned earlier, they don't look that different from years past. I'd like to see some ingenuity. And glancing through the insert checklists they have 100 Years of Wrigley Field without a Harry Caray card and a Greatest Streaks set without Joe DiMaggio. What's up with that?
Simple-- did not have permission to do Harry Caray or Joe Dimaggio.