`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Topps ...I have mixed emotions

2016 Topps ...I have mixed emotions
Surprise, surprise ... we're in the midst of a blizzard in Minnesota. So, while on my way home early from work I stopped off at Target to buy some food and happened upon the freshly stocked 2016 Topps.

So, as I usually do I picked up a blaster, 2 hangers and a $5 jumbo pack to see how it goes.

I'll called it a mixed experience. I love the look of the base cards, but the inserts are kinda blah. Also, out of all of that I only managed one gold, two rainbows and zero variations. But even more disappointing than that is that I didn't land a single Miguel Sano ... that was what I was really hoping for to be completely honest - a gold, rainbow, even a base. So, the base cards are top-notch, most of the inserts pretty boring. That means I'm probably really going to like Opening Day.

Here's the highlights.

[Image: 20160202_230920_zpsqo7smune.jpg]

[Image: 20160202_231009_zpsryxblc5y.jpg]

[Image: 20160202_231217_zpsen3jgcl2.jpg]
Kepler

RE: 2016 Topps ...I have mixed emotions
I'm not so sure that I like the base cards this year. (I probably say that every year Smile )
They look like Stadium Club cards with the 'full bleed" no borders.
Again with the Medallion cards!?!? Why Topps, Why?
I like the Perspectives inserts! Pretty cool.
Well, Jared ... At least you got a Buxton insert card. I'm sure there'll be Sano cards aplenty!
Thanks for the preview!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

OK, since we're nitpicking ... sorry, but Topps needs to get rid of the retired players.

I would much rather they go a little deeper into the current rosters and expand the base set rather than feed us the umpteenth Brooks Robinson/Warren Spahn/Rod Carew inserts that nobody wants to collect, buy or trade for.

Also ... I know they held Schwarber and Conforto back from 2015 Update so that they could headline 2016 Series 1, but the rookie card logo and the trophy cup make them look a little busy.

Heck, why not throw the "Future Stars" banner across them while they're at it?

I think they look pretty nice and would love a shot at any Lucroys or that Nolan Ryan insert if trading, Thanks!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

You got the Cuddyer Pressed Into Service Card! Looks like you did well for a Twins fan, despite no Sano
Always looking for new and old Twins cards I don't have

(02-03-2016, 04:17 PM)wibs13 Wrote: You got the Cuddyer Pressed Into Service Card! Looks like you did well for a Twins fan, despite no Sano
I don't know ... I got the Buxton, Carew and Cuddyer, but the only other Twins I got were a Boyer and 2 Perkins. If that was from the blaster I'd be pumped. For $45, not so much.

The Buxton is a pretty sweet photo though.
Kepler

i got a base sano so far
collect:pujols, trout,Salvador Perez,Jeter (rcs)

shipping: please have the respect of packaging the cards were they will not get damged. shipping cards in between toploaders when they are higher end cards is not acceptable. i will not ship cards like that to you so please do not ship them to me like that.

(02-03-2016, 08:52 PM)908 Wrote: i got a base sano so far
So far I've overpaid slightly on Ebay for the Sano auto and the Sano team pin. Should've skipped the box and gone that route from the jump. lol

But, I really, really like the look of the base cards this year. And I'm not sure why. Maybe it's that the photos are actually good for a change.
Kepler

[quote='rjcj2017' pid='2597578' dateline='1454520022']
OK, since we're nitpicking ... sorry, but Topps needs to get rid of the retired players.

I would much rather they go a little deeper into the current rosters and expand the base set rather than feed us the umpteenth Brooks Robinson/Warren Spahn/Rod Carew inserts that nobody wants to collect, buy or trade for.

Hate to say this, but I know several people around where I live that DO collect the retired players. Besides the Yanks retired players, I do Brooks and Spahn. I'd even buy, but it seems like everyone thinks they have a gold mine. Send me a list of who you have and let's work out a deal.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

I think the photography is noticeably better than in years past. Some really cool photos.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*