`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1991-92 Skybox ... Derek Jeter?

1991-92 Skybox ... Derek Jeter?
Didn't the early 90's have some of the wildest graphics ever? Too bad the cards from that era were mass produced, otherwise I think I'd have a much greater respect for 1991 Donruss. Born out of the late 80's / early 90's were eye-popping graphics from some of our favorite shows growing up, like ...

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

#yoholmessmellyalater

[Image: 61tUiyO53kL._SX940_.jpg]

Saved by the Bell

#kellywassodreamy

[Image: b830495c-6573-4189-9ae9-6de413652c3b.png]

One of my twitter (my twitter handle is @tanmanbbfan ) followers sent this, because it fits perfectly in line with the theme...

[Image: enhanced-32005-1422840611-40.jpg]

So the other night I was thinking about Skybox, and how clean they were. I wasn't too terribly into basketball (well...ok, maybe a I was a HUGE Shaq fan for a few years) but I didn't really HEAVILY collect basketball. Anyway, I thought it would be cool to mash up some 90's pop culture with Skybox.

Raise your hand if you can PERFECTLY recite the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air rap....

[Image: fresh.jpg]

Bonus points if you can sing the Saved by the Bell song in its entirety...

[Image: zack.jpg]

Those are all well and good, but I'm a baseball guy. How cool would it have been to have had a Skybox Derek Jeter?

[Image: facsimile.jpg]

Don't sleep on the "certified facsimile autograph", people!

It turned out so nice, I just had to make a real copy for my collection, as well as one without the certified fake auto Smile

[Image: 20160130_112044.jpg]

Obviously, I had to make one of my PC guy Canseco as well!

[Image: skybox.jpg]

Imagine all the possibilities ... 1989 Fleer Troy Aikman ... 1991 Hoops Chipper Jones, etc. What cross-over card do you wish they made?

BTW, you are welcome to sticking the Saved by the Bell theme song in your head for the rest of the day Wink

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

RE: 1991-92 Skybox ... Derek Jeter?
On the Auto, don't you mean fakesimile? lol.

You never cease to Amaze me!!

oh oh oh oh oh...... oh oh oh oh oh...... What about a mash up of Nolan Ryan and GPK (Garbage Pail Kids).
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(01-30-2016, 07:38 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: On the Auto, don't you mean fakesimile? lol.

You never cease to Amaze me!!

oh oh oh oh oh...... oh oh oh oh oh...... What about a mash up of Nolan Ryan and GPK (Garbage Pail Kids).
Thanks! Actually, I did just find out about some baseball card stickers from Toppys back in the 80's that had GPK backs on them.
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile

(01-31-2016, 12:21 AM)mouschi3 Wrote: Thanks! Actually, I did just find out about some baseball card stickers from Topps back in the 80's that had GPK backs on them.
Wow, that's cool.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Reminds me of the 1992-93 Topps Archives set in basketball and the 1996 Donruss What If? set in football, that used the baseball card styles for other sports. Have you done a 1986-87 Fleer (basketball) version of Jose Canseco? I have to wonder if it's been done before, since it is such an iconic set and it correlates to Canseco's rookie year. A 1986 Topps football style bordered card of Jose Canseco would be another interesting card.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(01-31-2016, 10:12 AM)djohn Wrote: Reminds me of the 1992-93 Topps Archives set in basketball and the 1996 Donruss What If? set in football, that used the baseball card styles for other sports. Have you done a 1986-87 Fleer (basketball) version of Jose Canseco? I have to wonder if it's been done before, since it is such an iconic set and it correlates to Canseco's rookie year. A 1986 Topps football style bordered card of Jose Canseco would be another interesting card.
I've done an mma card of 86-87 fleer before, but an 86 topps football version ... that'd be pretty cool!