`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just need to vent

Just need to vent
Can someone please explain to me how it's possible that there is only ONE (licensed) manufacture of hockey cards and yet, there are 265 Ovechkin cards listed in the Beckett OPG for 2015-16?????? I understand that the hockey year and calendar year are off. I get that, but here we are 22 days into 2016 and there are 265 cards listed for ONE hockey year, by ONE manufacture!!!!! Am I the only one that thinks this is crazy? ?? I stopped buying boxes in 2014-15, in order to concentrate on my PC players. And after looking at the prices of some of the products being put out by that ONE manufacture, I almost fell over!!! In 2013-14 I paid a little over 1k for a case of rookie anthology. I pre-ordered and realize that a case now is probably considerably less. But I didn't think that was a bad deal considering the potential product that you could get. In one case, there were rookie anthology cards, prizm, select, and probably a couple more. I don't know where I'm going with this because I'm still stuck on the fact that ONE maker made 265 cards of the same player, IN ONE YEAR!!!!! I'm well aware that some of you may be saying, get a new hobby if you don't like it. And that's fine. I may not be old at 42, but I'm "old school" at heart. Alright, I'll step down from my soapbox. Please, leave a comment, even if it's negative. Give me something to read while I sit here and load 265 WANTS into my PC list. (Side note - yes, I know how to do it in a batch, so don't bother trying to hit me with anything there LoL)
Have a great night, everyone, especially those of us in the mid-Atlantic and northeast who are expecting a decent amount of snow. How you all got your shovels from the garage before it started!!!! Goodnight!!!! - Joe

RE: Just need to vent
This doesn't bother me so much, because it is what it is, and it's largely our own doing. A new product comes out, we jump on it like sharks with blood in the water, and then 2-3 weeks later, we're looking for the next product. With the same players in it. Upper Deck is only doing what any business would do, pumping out new products continually to feed our wants.

What bothers me is that there is only one manufacturer now (well, one main manufacturer, I guess Leaf counts). I liked the variety, both in design and price, that having Panini in the mix brought. Was sorry to see them go.

BTW, it's shortly after noon here (outside Wash DC), and I just finished clearing the driveway and sidewalks. In most places, it has piled up as high as the top of the snowblower. And it's supposed to continue snowing into the early morning hours.... If you're trading with me (and I'm definitely open for business!) and I haven't shipped yet, please expect a delay, I probably won't see mail service for a while... - Mark.
Building sets, and collecting Alex Ovechkin, Calle Johansson,
Craig Laughlin and Braden Holtby

RE: Just need to vent
I guess that's a fair assessment of this whole debacle. I think a little competition drives companies to make products better than their competitor. In this case, they have no competition, so it's take it or leave it. I also liked the differences in design, but that won't happen again until this deal expires in 2018, I think.

Thanks for the reply. I'm on the bay, just outside rehoboth,de. We have had again couple communities evacuated by national guard already and we again re supposed to get again re little more storm before this crap ends. I am trading with you, but we already discussed this problem. Try to stay warm and dry, and just rife this thing out!!
-Joe