`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2015 Contenders - Panini is Shameless

2015 Contenders - Panini is Shameless
I do not trade and honestly its not even worth listing the autographs in this box they are so terrible.

All I really have to say is out of the 6 autographs in this box, there was only 1 on card auto - and only three were of drafted players - one of whom missed his entire rookie year on I.R. and another who was a cornerback for one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL.

But what really set this box apart as being probably the worst hobby box I have ever gotten was the three undrafted autographs - there were not unheralded guys who made the roster and got significant playing time - on the contrary, one of the guys failed to even make a practice squad. The other finally made a practice squad at the end of the season - one bounced around multiple practice squads and actually made an active roster for one game at the end of the year.

I also have to ask, isn't Contenders supposed to contain two on-card RPS autos? This box only had one.

Also, it seems that with Panini going towards an exclusive license, they are simply mailing their products in - the inserts in Contenders now include pennant cards which are like the ones which used to be in Rookies & Stars - the design is essentially a repeat of last year's with slight changes - terrible.

If Panini can't even make a product with as much goodwill as Contenders worth buying, football cards have a very bleak future

RE: 2015 Contenders - Panini is Shameless
I looked at Panini's website and they now only say 1-2 on card autos per box - so you can likely expect that many of the boxes will only have 1 on-card auto.

and they say 5 autos (on average) so if you get less you are out of luck

So definitely caveat emptor with this product

Haha, I didn't see this review until just now. I did one too, I was in 3 cases over the weekend with my team, and it was pretty amazing how much crap was in those cases. Best card of them all was a Tyler Lockett Cracked Ice auto...in 3 cases. I guess there was a Gurley or two, but they were just base sticker autos, and they were redemptions. Also, a few panini point cards. Very disappointing!

This is why I tend to shy away from Contenders. Pulling a remotely good auto is few and far between and there's a lot of "Who?" cards packed in there....
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

yea I was the same way. Fortunately I pulled a Mariota cracked ice and a gurley redemption that's it for me. I'm not touching this box anymore lol. Maybe when the price comes down like stated I might give it another shot. But I think I'm going to go for the new Topps coming out.

The 49.99 retail boxes are terrible as well.

I bought two ... one crap undrafted auto, one 150-point redemption, four crap jerseys, one other rookie insert per box (last year's had 3-4 rookie inserts per).

So, like of the 6-8 players pictured on the box (Winston, Mariota, Cooper, etc.), I got exactly zero, LOL.

I will not buy any more.

(01-12-2016, 06:49 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: The 49.99 retail boxes are terrible as well.

I bought two ... one crap undrafted auto, one 150-point redemption, four crap jerseys, one other rookie insert per box (last year's had 3-4 rookie inserts per).

So, like of the 6-8 players pictured on the box (Winston, Mariota, Cooper, etc.), I got exactly zero, LOL.

I will not buy any more.
Sadly, if it wasn't for shipping costs a 150 point card is probably much better than the auto that would have been in there - at least then you can pick which bad autograph card you get. With shipping costs though, i'd rather not have to pay to get my bad autograph card.

For an extra $50 or so you could have gotten a hobby box and got three additional bad autographs - maybe one decent auto.

The hobby box only had three other non-autograph rookie inserts - many of the packs were all base - and most of hte inserts were these stupid pennent cards. Also one Legendary Contender card which is stupidly die cut in such a way to make storage difficult
(01-12-2016, 11:27 AM)jkeels Wrote: yea I was the same way. Fortunately I pulled a Mariota cracked ice and a gurley redemption that's it for me. I'm not touching this box anymore lol. Maybe when the price comes down like stated I might give it another shot. But I think I'm going to go for the new Topps coming out.
how many boxes was that? From what it sounds based upon other breaks you completely knocked it out of the park and don't want to press your luck anymore. Unless you broke an entire case or something

(01-11-2016, 06:12 PM)demondukk Wrote: This is why I tend to shy away from Contenders. Pulling a remotely good auto is few and far between and there's a lot of "Who?" cards packed in there....
For some reason, I keep being a sucker and buying Contenders - probably because the very first hobby box I got of it was in 2011 and I got a Cam Newton Rookie Ticket - I haven't hit anything else good from Contenders since.

Ouch sorry
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK