`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA to BGS Crossover Questions

PSA to BGS Crossover Questions
I've currently submitted a batch of cards to PSA for grading. It's been my plan to take some of the PSA 10s (if I have any, which I certainly hope I do) and submit them in the PSA slabs to BGS, hoping that they might be able to land a BGS 10. I believe that when I submit to BGS I can stipulate that the cards not be crossed over unless then do achieve the desired grade (BGS 10 in this case). I know that many would debate PSA 10 vs BGS 9.5, but I'm not looking to get into that here. Does this sound like a decent idea? Anything I'm overlooking here?

The sorts of cards I'll be submitting are things like late 80s Basketall, 89 UD Griffeys, some early 80s Topps Baseball, 80s football, etc.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can offer!

RE: PSA to BGS Crossover Questions
If your preference is a BGS slab there might be a cheaper way to go about it.
How much are you paying over at PSA for grading per card?

Different Option
You can do a RCR (Raw card Review) with beckett for under $10 a card if I'm not mistaken.
If they deem your card a RCR grade of 10 then you'd simply have to submit it to BGS for slabbing.

Thanks for your reply.

My preference isn't for one slab or the other, it's for the BGS 10 grade over a PSA 10. It seems the standards, especially on centering, are more rigorous and so a BGS 10 seems to fetch significantly more at auction.

I'd rather grade my cards with PSA as it seems a 9 or 10 is more easily attained. But if a card turns out to be capable of a BGS 10, I certainly would prefer that. I guess I'm using PSA as a way to pre-screen my cards, but also as a fall back for sale.

For example I have 5 89 UD Griffeys. A PSA 10 goes for about $350, while a BGS 9.5 goes for 250. I think I have two that can land PSA 10s. So I would rather land that, then submit them to BGS and get 9.5s. That said, if I do get PSA 10s, I would then submit them to BGS with a minimum crossover grade of 10, and at worst waste my evaluation fee if they're not worthy. A BGS 10 Griffey recently sold on Ebay for over 2k.

That makes sense. I was coming purely from a collector perspective.
Best of luck on Grading/Cross Overs.

(01-08-2016, 07:02 PM)sonic311 Wrote: That makes sense. I was coming purely from a collector perspective.
Yeah, I figured as much. Its probably sacrilege to some here, but I'm in the process of liquidating the collection that my dad and I put together in the late 80s and early 90s. Seeing the awesome stuff some people post on these boards, especially some of the newer football cards, has me itching to pick the habit back up, but my wife would kill me. I already have too many other expensive hobbies and habits!

I called Beckett customer service to ask about crossing over PSA graded cards and the person was totally unclear and not at all helpful. I think it was someone at a call center in south Asia. So I sent an email... waiting to hear back.

Why would you pay top dollar to PSA to prescreen your cards? Last time I looked, the lowest tier for PSA grading was $17 per card. To me that's a waste of your money when you can do the raw card review. Far be it for me to tell anyone how to spend their money, but on the other hand, there's gotta be a less expensive way to do this. If you have so much extra cash, you could send me some. :-) Just kidding.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

(01-09-2016, 12:34 AM)bamyanks Wrote: Why would you pay top dollar to PSA to prescreen your cards? Last time I looked, the lowest tier for PSA grading was $17 per card. To me that's a waste of your money when you can do the raw card review. Far be it for me to tell anyone how to spend their money, but on the other hand, there's gotta be a less expensive way to do this. If you have so much extra cash, you could send me some. :-) Just kidding.
I'll join PSA at the lowest level, which costs $119 and includes a voucher for 6 gradings. With those six I'll submit a bulk order of 50 additional cards at $8 per. Total of $519 (without shipping) for 56 cards, comes out to 9.26 per card. Not fantastic value, but good enough for now.

OK, I was wondering if they had any kind of deals.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

(01-08-2016, 04:50 PM)EazyE_3333 Wrote: Thanks for your reply.

My preference isn't for one slab or the other, it's for the BGS 10 grade over a PSA 10. It seems the standards, especially on centering, are more rigorous and so a BGS 10 seems to fetch significantly more at auction.

I'd rather grade my cards with PSA as it seems a 9 or 10 is more easily attained. But if a card turns out to be capable of a BGS 10, I certainly would prefer that. I guess I'm using PSA as a way to pre-screen my cards, but also as a fall back for sale.

For example I have 5 89 UD Griffeys. A PSA 10 goes for about $350, while a BGS 9.5 goes for 250. I think I have two that can land PSA 10s. So I would rather land that, then submit them to BGS and get 9.5s. That said, if I do get PSA 10s, I would then submit them to BGS with a minimum crossover grade of 10, and at worst waste my evaluation fee if they're not worthy. A BGS 10 Griffey recently sold on Ebay for over 2k.
The grading scale is slightly different. PSA does not do a half grade scale of 9.5 so a PSA 10 GEM MINT ='s a BGS 9.5 GEM MINT. They do not have a PRISTINE.

My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

I have no experience here but I'm thinking that the graders at Beckett would have a hard time crossing a PSA 10 to BGS 10......or 9 for 9 etc. I think it my be natural to have some company bias for the company you are working for.

Anyone with actual experience doing crossovers disagree? Because to me, as a mostly vintage collector I have thought of doing the opposite which is going from BVG to PSA because PSA has a higher value on most vintage cards than BVG but can't imagine PSA giving the same or higher grade....
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]