Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2016 New Years Resolutions...
Lightbulb 
2016 New Years Resolutions...
So, last year came and went...and some seemed to like the thread, so let's try again! Smile
This year, I would love to add:

Brett Favre Packer auto
Andrew Luck 2012 Topps Chrome refractor
Russell Wilson 2012 Topps Chrome refractor
Finish Lynch 2013 and 2014 Chrome rainbows
Add up through XXV SB MVPs

How about you guys?

RE: 2016 New Years Resolutions...
YES! The New Year Resolution thread!

SO this year will not be terribly unlike last year. I will be focusing on pretty much the same things, just more...uh...focused.

1) I would like to move the Alstott PC to 85% completion. Last year I was able obtain 25% of his cards but I am now down to the final 25%--the nitty gritty--so 10% is probably realistic.

2) I still want to finish those auto sets and quad sets. Here's what I am working on:

AUTOS
1997 Press Pass autos--9 to go
1997 Mirror Image--1 to go!!
1998 Player's Ink Green--2 to go
1998 Player's Ink Silver--15 to go
1999 Donruss Preferred Signatures--4 to go
1999 Inkredible--2 to go (Walter Payton has an on card auto in this set, sooooo...yeah. It my be a while before this one is done.)
2000 Finest Moments--10 to go
2001 UD Game Gear autos--3 to go, but I honestly do not believe these three exist so it is likely that this set is already complete.

QUADS
1999 Absolute Team Threads--10 to go
1999 Momentum Rookies--2 to go
2000 Tag Team--14 to go (these are proving difficult to find)
2000 Contenders ULTIMATE Quads--8 to go (this set is a beast!)

3) Complete 80% of the NFL leading rusher set...so another 25%.

If I manage to close in on these goals in a decent amount of time I will either pick up another auto set to work on or simply turn all my focus to graded cards, roughly 2001 and older. I will also probably star hording all the Alstott autos and rare cards I can get my hands on...we'll see.
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

(01-03-2016, 03:01 AM)jephthah1 Wrote: YES! The New Year Resolution thread!

SO this year will not be terribly unlike last year. I will be focusing on pretty much the same things, just more...uh...focused.

1) I would like to move the Alstott PC to 85% completion. Last year I was able obtain 25% of his cards but I am now down to the final 25%--the nitty gritty--so 10% is probably realistic.

2) I still want to finish those auto sets and quad sets. Here's what I am working on:

AUTOS
1997 Press Pass autos--9 to go
1997 Mirror Image--1 to go!!
1998 Player's Ink Green--2 to go
1998 Player's Ink Silver--15 to go
1999 Donruss Preferred Signatures--4 to go
1999 Inkredible--2 to go (Walter Payton has an on card auto in this set, sooooo...yeah. It my be a while before this one is done.)
2000 Finest Moments--10 to go
2001 UD Game Gear autos--3 to go, but I honestly do not believe these three exist so it is likely that this set is already complete.

QUADS
1999 Absolute Team Threads--10 to go
1999 Momentum Rookies--2 to go
2000 Tag Team--14 to go (these are proving difficult to find)
2000 Contenders ULTIMATE Quads--8 to go (this set is a beast!)

3) Complete 80% of the NFL leading rusher set...so another 25%.

If I manage to close in on these goals in a decent amount of time I will either pick up another auto set to work on or simply turn all my focus to graded cards, roughly 2001 and older. I will also probably star hording all the Alstott autos and rare cards I can get my hands on...we'll see.
Wishing you luck! Do you have a want list anywhere? I'd be happy to help keep my eyes open in trades to see if I come across anything you need Smile

(01-03-2016, 05:31 PM)savagenate Wrote: Wishing you luck! Do you have a want list anywhere? I'd be happy to help keep my eyes open in trades to see if I come across anything you need Smile
I don't have a list, per se. I track all my cards in Beckett's Org. I could make some of it public. Would that give you the ability to see my "wants"?
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

(01-04-2016, 12:55 AM)jephthah1 Wrote: I don't have a list, per se. I track all my cards in Beckett's Org. I could make some of it public. Would that give you the ability to see my "wants"?
I think it would.

A) I'm entering my 17th year of collecting Mark Brunell. Over the last five years, I would be lucky to find 5-6 cards off the need list each year and that would be my goal again this year. Would love to find some of those late 1990s parallels I need.

B) Last time I updated my completion % was May 2011 and it was at 96.4. Need to find time to update that % which should be in the 97.??% range.

C) Also need to update my autograph, memorabilia and special serial # quantities. As "organized" as I am, it's still organized chaos at best!

We should revisit thread at the end of year to see how we all did!
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

Nate, Favre autos are falling from the ceilings in Wisconsin. Every gas station or restaurant I walk into has one hanging on the wall. To me, that makes them about worthless through over saturation (if they're real), but you still should have no problem finding one on a card or anything else. I just saw a few auto cards in an antique mall over the weekend I could have bought with the cash in my pocket. Alas, I'm a Bears fan.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Excellent thread! I'll have to go through the ol binders and see what percentages I'm at but looking for:

Set Building
2010 - 2015 "base" Finest Atomic Rookies: Most needs are from 2013 and 2015.
2010 - 2013 "base" Finest Moments
2015 Finest '95
1994 - 2015 Finest base sets: Have 1999, 2010-2014 complete today with decent dents in 2000, 2006, 2008-09, and nearly done for 2015
1999 Playoff Team Tandems: 25/31
1999 Finest Gold Refractor set: 80ish/175
1999 Finest Refractor set graded: 75/175

Player Collecting:
Alshon Jeffery - I'm starting to cool on him a bit depending on contract status. If he leaves the Bears I'll probably stop chasing autos and mem cards and only look for inexpensive base.
Ka'Deem Carey/Jeremy Langford - It'll be sad to see Forte leave, but the future is now for Chicago's backfield. I'd love to see Forte sign a two-year deal with a contender and get a shot at a ring he'll never get in Chicago.

(01-03-2016, 03:01 AM)jephthah1 Wrote: 1999 Inkredible--2 to go (Walter Payton has an on card auto in this set, sooooo...yeah. It my be a while before this one is done.)
I've toyed with chasing this set as well and I'm much further behind. If I had the chance to add any Walter Payton auto to my collection, it would be from this set.

(01-04-2016, 05:11 PM)jaderock Wrote: A) I'm entering my 17th year of collecting Mark Brunell. Over the last five years, I would be lucky to find 5-6 cards off the need list each year and that would be my goal again this year. Would love to find some of those late 1990s parallels I need.

B) Last time I updated my completion % was May 2011 and it was at 96.4. Need to find time to update that % which should be in the 97.??% range.

C) Also need to update my autograph, memorabilia and special serial # quantities. As "organized" as I am, it's still organized chaos at best!

We should revisit thread at the end of year to see how we all did!
It'll still be here Smile Do you have a "want list" somewhere that we can all see?

(01-04-2016, 05:34 PM)jonathani Wrote: Nate, Favre autos are falling from the ceilings in Wisconsin. Every gas station or restaurant I walk into has one hanging on the wall. To me, that makes them about worthless through over saturation (if they're real), but you still should have no problem finding one on a card or anything else. I just saw a few auto cards in an antique mall over the weekend I could have bought with the cash in my pocket. Alas, I'm a Bears fan.
Haha, definitely over saturation...what player isn't today? Still, dropping $150 or so on a card takes some saving for me Smile Shouldn't be too bad though...it's find the right one!

(01-04-2016, 05:36 PM)jplarson Wrote: Excellent thread! I'll have to go through the ol binders and see what percentages I'm at but looking for:

Set Building
2010 - 2015 "base" Finest Atomic Rookies: Most needs are from 2013 and 2015.
2010 - 2013 "base" Finest Moments
2015 Finest '95
1994 - 2015 Finest base sets: Have 1999, 2010-2014 complete today with decent dents in 2000, 2006, 2008-09, and nearly done for 2015
1999 Playoff Team Tandems: 25/31
1999 Finest Gold Refractor set: 80ish/175
1999 Finest Refractor set graded: 75/175

Player Collecting:
Alshon Jeffery - I'm starting to cool on him a bit depending on contract status. If he leaves the Bears I'll probably stop chasing autos and mem cards and only look for inexpensive base.
Ka'Deem Carey/Jeremy Langford - It'll be sad to see Forte leave, but the future is now for Chicago's backfield. I'd love to see Forte sign a two-year deal with a contender and get a shot at a ring he'll never get in Chicago.

I've toyed with chasing this set as well and I'm much further behind. If I had the chance to add any Walter Payton auto to my collection, it would be from this set.
I don't collect Finest much at all, but I'll keep my eyes open. I'm always looking for low numbered Jeffery/Carey/Langford for you...hard to find though! I agree, it would suck to see Forte go, despite being a Packers fan. I enjoy watching guys get and stick with a team. On the other hand, for those guys who do all the work, and carry their team at times, it'd be nice to see them all get a shot at a ring in their careers.

My 2016 Collecting Goals:

1) Reach 1,000 different Drew Brees cards.

2) Start a new project: Obtain one autograph of each player from the 2009 New Orleans Saints super bowl team.

3) Complete my tradelist.

4) Clear out all of my base cards.

5) Add 5 New Orleans Saints 1/1 cards to my collection.

Good luck to everybody with their goals.
Kris Bryant Collection : 61 Cards