`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anatomy of a random unsorted Box...

Anatomy of a random unsorted Box...
So at a recent card show I bought a random box of unsorted cards, as I usually try and do. To me if at a show you get a box of cards at a reasonable price why not? You might find some useful cards, you might find some trade bait, you might find crap. And for under 20 bucks isn't that the same odds of any hobby box? So for under 20 I purchsed about 1200 cards. In the lot there was as expected a bunch of this...
[Image: show001_zpsvdvqzxes.jpg]
No offence to Stan Javier or Dodgers Fans but we know the era and what iti is.

Also in the box was some other more interesting stuff...like this.
[Image: show005_zpsawly8vze.jpg]

A few broder cards and random in person autos. Anything earth shattering? No. But some good throw ins to player or team collectors during a trade. So cool enough.

Also a good mix of something like this. Not high end by any means but some cool trade bait.
[Image: show006_zpsndcwss2d.jpg]
The Francona is from 1962 and from a coin set called Salada. Nothing huge but pretty cool. Jeter Mini,Verlander rookie, a couple of Ruth serial numbered, some Nolan Ryan etc.., and the Rickey 90 Fleer (why would he include that you say) is the 1990 Canadian version which increases the BV x100 for some reason.

Also, and one of the primary reasons for this post was this...
[Image: show002_zpstqacogmt.jpg]

Here is the back.

[Image: show003_zpsqjcys6mp.jpg]

As can be seen it is a 1990 Fleer Canadian card of Shawn Hilligas. Looking at it you would think it was a printing plate, except it is on normal card stock for the set. Now looking up things on the net I found some things like this from the same era...
[Image: 1984-7a.jpg]

[Image: 89%2BDonruss%2BBlue%2BTest%2BPrint.jpeg]

which claim to be printing proofs ala black, cyan, yellow printing proofs of the published card. No I have no illusions of finding a valuable piece of hobby history, but does anybody have any insight into exactly what this is??

Oh ya, before you judge "Why would he buy a box of this, even if cheap?" It isn't because also int the box ended up about 100 cards needed for sets and Tiger Cards. It is because of the box break rush and the possibility of running into things like this, which by the way was also in the box...
[Image: show004_zpsybrmpz4g.jpg]

All seen are marked for trade, along with others that will be added as I can.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

RE: Anatomy of a random unsorted Box...
I think that these boxes are fun..if you have the time...I would do the same thing..just to see what is there...I think you did very well!!

Nice! To me the Hillegas looks like a card with extended sun exposure.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(12-01-2015, 07:29 AM)bonds20001 Wrote: I think that these boxes are fun..if you have the time...I would do the same thing..just to see what is there...I think you did very well!!
Thanks! They are a blast to go through, and I try and pick up one at most shows I go to. Being in the Toronto area hockey is king, so usually the best place to get them is at a table where there is an absolute ton of hockey and then a few baseball. Ask if they have any unsorted baseball behind the table and they are happy to dump it. Had a few time where the guy just gave it to me rather than having to pack it up in his car.
(12-01-2015, 07:52 AM)zeprock Wrote: Nice! To me the Hillegas looks like a card with extended sun exposure.
As I was very quickly whipping through it and I came across it that was my second thought, the first being it was a plate then quickly realizing it is on normal stock and from 1990. Looking at it in person you can see that any semblence of colour besides the black grey isn't just gone, but was never there. My guess it is a misprint, or a proof. I have seen proofs before but no just from this set, and the back is usually blank, or just has the same ink as the front (ie black, cyan, yellow).

Always nice finding a Trout amongst the commoners. Smile
Great box and well worth your time & effort! Congrats!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I don't ever recall seeing anything like that at my local card show. Maybe I just overlook them. Maybe i'll start looking next time I go.

When you find a good dealer for these boxes, stick with that person. I got burned once with a bunch of cards in horrible, horrible shape, but when I stick with someone I know things turn out better.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(11-30-2015, 11:51 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: So at a recent card show I bought a random box of unsorted cards, as I usually try and do. To me if at a show you get a box of cards at a reasonable price why not? You might find some useful cards, you might find some trade bait, you might find crap. And for under 20 bucks isn't that the same odds of any hobby box? So for under 20 I purchsed about 1200 cards. In the lot there was as expected a bunch of this...
[Image: show001_zpsvdvqzxes.jpg]
No offence to Stan Javier or Dodgers Fans but we know the era and what iti is.

Also in the box was some other more interesting stuff...like this.
[Image: show005_zpsawly8vze.jpg]

A few broder cards and random in person autos. Anything earth shattering? No. But some good throw ins to player or team collectors during a trade. So cool enough.

Also a good mix of something like this. Not high end by any means but some cool trade bait.
[Image: show006_zpsndcwss2d.jpg]
The Francona is from 1962 and from a coin set called Salada. Nothing huge but pretty cool. Jeter Mini,Verlander rookie, a couple of Ruth serial numbered, some Nolan Ryan etc.., and the Rickey 90 Fleer (why would he include that you say) is the 1990 Canadian version which increases the BV x100 for some reason.

Also, and one of the primary reasons for this post was this...
[Image: show002_zpstqacogmt.jpg]

Here is the back.

[Image: show003_zpsqjcys6mp.jpg]

As can be seen it is a 1990 Fleer Canadian card of Shawn Hilligas. Looking at it you would think it was a printing plate, except it is on normal card stock for the set. Now looking up things on the net I found some things like this from the same era...
[Image: 1984-7a.jpg]

[Image: 89%2BDonruss%2BBlue%2BTest%2BPrint.jpeg]

which claim to be printing proofs ala black, cyan, yellow printing proofs of the published card. No I have no illusions of finding a valuable piece of hobby history, but does anybody have any insight into exactly what this is??

Oh ya, before you judge "Why would he buy a box of this, even if cheap?" It isn't because also int the box ended up about 100 cards needed for sets and Tiger Cards. It is because of the box break rush and the possibility of running into things like this, which by the way was also in the box...
[Image: show004_zpsybrmpz4g.jpg]

All seen are marked for trade, along with others that will be added as I can.

I believe those cards did not go through the entire inking/printing process. They miss anyway from 1-3 colors giving them the appearance of our current printing plates. Missing 1 color looks stranger than missing 3. Missing 1 makes the card look near complete, but something is off. Missing 3 looks like a plate.

Wow, some neat pick ups--and well worth it!

Do you go to the Gibraltar card shows? (I assume you live in the Detroit area, right?)
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(12-03-2015, 10:56 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Wow, some neat pick ups--and well worth it!

Do you go to the Gibraltar card shows? (I assume you live in the Detroit area, right?)
Thanks! Grew up in Windsor, but now live in the Toronto area. Have wanted to hit one, but my visits back to Windsor to see the family and the dates that I am not super busy while there never seem to match up.