Went to the LCS today......
Stopped in to hang out, ended up walking out with some 8x10 AU's

Johnny Sain
[Image: IMG_20151121_185248869.jpg]

Warren Spahn
[Image: IMG_20151121_185307503.jpg]

Ralph Kiner
[Image: IMG_20151121_185257984.jpg]

A Dante Lavelli check (free, for fixing his sign)
[Image: IMG_20151121_185322018.jpg]

Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle 8x10 signed by Mays
[Image: IMG_20151121_185238536.jpg]
Super Collecting Mark Rypien and Juan Gonzalez

****NOT CURRENTLY TRADING****

RE: Went to the LCS today......
Great Stuff! Love the Spahn. Not sure why, but a lot of pictures like the Spahn look awesome. I don't know photography technically, but the 1950's color photo's just look great. Congrats on your pick-ups.....
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Awesome pics. I'll give the nod to the Spahn as my favorite as well.

Spahn is cool, but that Willie Mays is insane! One of the nicest Mays autos I've seen!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(11-21-2015, 08:24 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Great Stuff! Love the Spahn. Not sure why, but a lot of pictures like the Spahn look awesome. I don't know photography technically, but the 1950's color photo's just look great. Congrats on your pick-ups.....
I have to agree with the older pictures, they seem more "genuine"

(11-21-2015, 08:27 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Awesome pics. I'll give the nod to the Spahn as my favorite as well.
Thank ya!!
(11-21-2015, 09:56 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Spahn is cool, but that Willie Mays is insane! One of the nicest Mays autos I've seen!
He had the Mays and Mantle pic for a long time, behind his wax product's, another customer asked how much for it, when I heard the price, I got interested. Long story short, he declined, and I picked it up.

And honestly, while not the most appealing to the eye, I really like the check. The "history" behind them makes them cool in my eye's, I wonder "What was he buying", plus I googled the address, now it's a gym, so it's neat to see the places now. I also picked up a Johnny Pesky check, and googled his house in Massachusetts. Check's can be a cheap alternative to older AU's, I think because of the eye appeal. An 8x10, ball, bat or jersey is cool, but, personal or business checks? Can't get much close to the athlete's personal life than that. Plus, what are the chances is 30 years of picking up a Bryce Harper, or Mike Trout check? Most of these athletes (I assume), use electronic banking or checking.

I went to a show in Syracuse, NY yesterday and a dealer had a whole display of old checks. First time I have seen this type of collectible personally. Had a person in front of them so could not make out who they were.

Scott

(11-22-2015, 09:38 AM)garrisc Wrote: I went to a show in Syracuse, NY yesterday and a dealer had a whole display of old checks. First time I have seen this type of collectible personally. Had a person in front of them so could not make out who they were.
Scott
A buddy of mine is a Horror Movie Auto collector. The beauty of the 'returned check auto' is that usually THAT was the person's real, un-rushed, non-pressured signature. (vs. signing 15 autos in a minute while at some function) you also get their real name signature vs. their nickname auto. The only bad thing is that he discovered some Hollywood stars gave permission to their family or agent or personal secretary to sign an occasional check for them ... So authenticity can be implied, but not always assumed.
For the family of a deceased star/athlete it can be a treasure trove for them. Returned checks? .... Jeez, I still have thousands of my old ones in storage. Now I just need to become famous so they're worth something to my family. Smile
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(11-22-2015, 10:09 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: A buddy of mine is a Horror Movie Auto collector. The beauty of the 'returned check auto' is that usually THAT was the person's real, un-rushed, non-pressured signature. (vs. signing 15 autos in a minute while at some function) you also get their real name signature vs. their nickname auto. The only bad thing is that he discovered some Hollywood stars gave permission to their family or agent or personal secretary to sign an occasional check for them ... So authenticity can be implied, but not always assumed.
For the family of a deceased star/athlete it can be a treasure trove for them. Returned checks? .... Jeez, I still have thousands of my old ones in storage. Now I just need to become famous so they're worth something to my family. Smile
I thought about the other people signing the name, I'm sure it happened a lot. 99% of the time if I buy anything with an autograph, I make sure it's PSA/JSA/ or another good third party authenticator. Even then, bad AU's, slip through. The checks to me, are cool, for the reasons you stated. No rushed sig, no 1 letter and scribbles.

(11-22-2015, 01:48 PM)kens05goat Wrote: I thought about the other people signing the name, I'm sure it happened a lot. 99% of the time if I buy anything with an autograph, I make sure it's PSA/JSA/ or another good third party authenticator. Even then, bad AU's, slip through. The checks to me, are cool, for the reasons you stated. No rushed sig, no 1 letter and scribbles.
I'm sure yours is legit. This was from an ex-Ballplayer that obviously owned a company, and the check was for a significant amount. If it was a Hollywood Star's personal account for $5 at the dry cleaners, I'd be more suspicious. Smile
Cancelled checks are cool, and if the price is right, well worth the gamble ... And a better gamble than a 3X5 index card. IMO.

(11-23-2015, 01:11 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I'm sure yours is legit. This was from an ex-Ballplayer that obviously owned a company, and the check was for a significant amount. If it was a Hollywood Star's personal account for $5 at the dry cleaners, I'd be more suspicious. Smile
Cancelled checks are cool, and if the price is right, well worth the gamble ... And a better gamble than a 3X5 index card. IMO.
I picked up a few more over the last few days, I'll post them in my random pick-ups thread when I get them. It's a new thing for me, never thought about collecting them, but when a Check cut auto is glued to a card and is valued at 50-100, I'd rather have the whole check for half that. 3x5 are ok, it matted and framed with an 8x10, but space is limited in my "den", if my collection starts to creep outside of my room, wife will kill me.