`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent online gold glove discussion

Recent online gold glove discussion
So here on Beckett we recently had a heated discussion in regards to how gold glove award winners are determined. With managers and coaches being asked to focus solely on defense and be open to Sabermetrics when deciding, this year's American League left field gold glove winner was Yoenis Cespedes. When asked why he was voted for the overwhelming response was his defensive runs saved stat. This is an extremely subjective number and not based on anything tangible or realistic. In fact, other than Cespedes's cannon for an arm, he's a horrible outfielder. Disregarding the fact he did not play close to an entire season in the American League, did they get it wrong? This to me is a prime example of metrics getting in the way of the reality of the game.

RE: Recent online gold glove discussion
This one and National league Catcher was a head scratcher to me. I thought Posey would edge out Yadi, but you can't go wrong with Yadi defensively when he's in, and Posey plays a bit of first as well, so maybe that's what did him in.

Looking for all cards from these guys I don't have!
[Image: tPSNwfV.png]

Simmons got snubbed! Crawford is a better hitting shortstop, but no player in baseball is a better defender than Simba!
The Sabermetrics well favors Simmons by far. There is even another shortstop who had better stats than Crawford and that would be Adeiny Hechavarria.

Simmons got freaking robbed. The Gold Gloves are officially a joke to me.
My Website: thepointguard.weebly.com
Also Collecting: Five Star Autos, '50s Topps Sets
Current Top Wants: '15 Chipper Jones & Other Five Star Autos
[Image: PGBanner_zps899b0bff.jpg]

He did win an award though -Andrelton Simmons is the 2015 Wilson Defensive Player of the Year for the shortstop position!

(11-11-2015, 06:06 PM)thepointguard_10 Wrote: Simmons got freaking robbed. The Gold Gloves are officially a joke to me.
it is, it rigged to the point of so many resons

(11-11-2015, 06:31 PM)buckles2335 Wrote: He did win an award though -Andrelton Simmons is the 2015 Wilson Defensive Player of the Year for the shortstop position!
I was just watching that.

(11-11-2015, 06:31 PM)buckles2335 Wrote: He did win an award though -Andrelton Simmons is the 2015 Wilson Defensive Player of the Year for the shortstop position!
Which means he's the best SS in MLB defensively- but not good enough to win the GG in the NL at SS.
My Website: thepointguard.weebly.com
Also Collecting: Five Star Autos, '50s Topps Sets
Current Top Wants: '15 Chipper Jones & Other Five Star Autos
[Image: PGBanner_zps899b0bff.jpg]

no way Crawford over Simmons.
[Image: Jones%20Kershaw_zpswfyrmlav.jpg]

At least Crawford is a good defensive SS; this is big progress from even 5 years ago.