`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hicks to Yanks, Murphy to Twins

Hicks to Yanks, Murphy to Twins
I know Hicks and I know he has promise, but I don't know if he'll live up to it or not.

What I don't know about is Murphy ... Yankee fans, what'd the Twins get? Aside from a way to guarantee Suzuki's vesting option doesn't happen.
Kepler

RE: Hicks to Yanks, Murphy to Twins
Murphy is a good defensive catcher, calls a good game, and has some pop in his bat. He was great as our backup catcher, and looks like he'd make an adequate starter as well

I think you got the better part of the trade, Jared.
JR Murphy is a very, very good catcher, where on the Yankees, he was stuck behind McCann. Since the Yankees are 'catcher rich' in the minors, (Gary Sanchez is touted to be amazing) I think they did it as a favor to JR and get him to a club where he'll start more games behind the dish and free up a place for Sanchez.
I don't know much about Hicks, other than he'll take Chris Young's spot since he's FA this year.

(I'm just hoping Brett Gardner stays with the Yankees. He's on 'the block' but I don't think Cashman will let him go for anything less than a Starting Pitcher)
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Im excited about the move. Im ready to see Byron Buxton as an every day CF! He's already amazing defensively, and I have faith his offense will soon catch up!

(11-12-2015, 01:40 PM)jbissell Wrote: Im excited about the move. Im ready to see Byron Buxton as an every day CF! He's already amazing defensively, and I have faith his offense will soon catch up!
Agreed! Buxton's bat will come around. He's still adjusting to new pitchers.

Looking for all cards from these guys I don't have!
[Image: tPSNwfV.png]

I'm guessing Buxton starts at Rochester this year, unless he absolutely destroys the pitching in spring training. It won't take long, but I don't think they'll rush him along like they did with Hicks.

I actually think there's a fair chance that Danny Santana (out of options) opens the season as the CF, flanked by Arcia (out of options) and Rosario. Then, once they see Buxton prove his bat is ready, Santana becomes the super utility IF/OF. Kepler will also be in the mix early in the year.

As for Hicks, I think he could surprise some people this year. I don't think he'll ever be a high OPS guy, but he's got a little bit of pop and the dimensions at his new home should really help him. Great arm, covers a lot of ground. Prone to some bonehead routes sometimes, but athletic enough to make up for it. A definite upgrade over Young.

Like Murphy and the Yankees' positional depth, the same is true of Hicks. Good enough to start, but doesn't have the upside of Buxton or Kepler, the power potential of Arcia or the position flexibility of Santana. I would've almost preferred they move Rosario (because he refuses to not swing), but they're pretty equal.

I think you'll like him in pinstripes. And the more I'm reading, the more I like Murphy ... especially because it virtually guarantees this will be the last season of Zuke noodle-arming throws to second base.
Kepler

Yankees got a switch hitting 4th OF (at the moment) They were able to get younger by adding him and basically subtract Chris Young via Free Agency.

Twins got a good play caller behind the dish. Hard working smart guy. Still young has decent speed for a catcher some pop but don't expect crazy HR numbers for like doubles. Not sure how the bat will play once he gets more reps as an everyday type player. but at worst you get a league average starting catcher. which yes Yankees were dealing him from a position of strength. but same could have been said for OF'ers too so I do not think Yankees are done dealing OF'ers. I believe Either Gardy or Ellsbury gets moved