`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
1952 Topps Mantle Anyone?

RE: 1952 Topps Mantle Anyone?
This auction house is ten minutes away from my house. I wanted a card from them about a month ago. A really nice vintage card. Ungraded. Would have been a few hundred bucks. I emailed and asked them if I could just swing by their office on my way home from work and pick it up so it would not have to go through the mail. They emailed back and said nope. They had to mail it but would give me a special rate on shipping because I was so close.

I didn't bid on the item because the shipping charge was not the issue. I just didn't want it to get into the mail. Instead, I bought the same card elsewhere in a graded version for a faction of the price. They are just in a business park/offices so I really didn't understand why they would not let me pick it up in person. Unless they thought I was going to try to screw them and say I didn't receive it. But with over 2000 Ebay feedback at 100% positive, it was a little surprising to me. It just gave me a "shady" feeling to the whole thing. But then again I'm in law enforcement so I just assume everybody is up to something shady Smile

(10-31-2015, 04:12 PM)BGS_Graded_Card_Guy Wrote: This auction house is ten minutes away from my house. I wanted a card from them about a month ago. A really nice vintage card. Ungraded. Would have been a few hundred bucks. I emailed and asked them if I could just swing by their office on my way home from work and pick it up so it would not have to go through the mail. They emailed back and said nope. They had to mail it but would give me a special rate on shipping because I was so close.

I didn't bid on the item because the shipping charge was not the issue. I just didn't want it to get into the mail. Instead, I bought the same card elsewhere in a graded version for a faction of the price. They are just in a business park/offices so I really didn't understand why they would not let me pick it up in person. Unless they thought I was going to try to screw them and say I didn't receive it. But with over 2000 Ebay feedback at 100% positive, it was a little surprising to me. It just gave me a "shady" feeling to the whole thing. But then again I'm in law enforcement so I just assume everybody is up to something shady Smile
I get it to a certain extent but it's also part of the reason I hate online businesses like Ebay. It's so impersonal, cold and unrewarding. There's so few business and personal relationships developed and virtually no trust built or attainable.

(10-31-2015, 04:24 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: I get it to a certain extent but it's also part of the reason I hate online businesses like Ebay. It's so impersonal, cold and unrewarding. There's so few business and personal relationships developed and virtually no trust built or attainable.
+1000