`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be Reasonable

RE: Be Reasonable
If both sides are happy with a trade, it's a good trade. And vice versa. A lot of it is subjective - some will only trade RCs for RCs, autos for autos etc. - and I know I have WAY over-traded in BV if it's a card I really want.

My point is, I don't think Randi was calling anyone out, he just wasn't happy with how a trade was pitched to him.

Its simple, either yes or no in agreement and that's that. Money is whats wrong with the world and it ruins just about everything. I came very close to death 5 years back and all the money in the world doesn't matter if your 6 feet under. Book value doesn't mean crap. its all about timing and demand. The Tim Hortons cards are not hot except the auto and jersey redemption. I have 50 sets of McDonalds cards for past years anyone can have to prove they will come down. I have $40 jersey cards in my $2 box at shows and they dont sell so again book value means very little and if you are worried about the difference between $41 book value and $50 then you have a lot of surprises in store for you in this game.

I was not calling out Scott at all, nor anyone in particular. The trade that was pitched to me was pitched by a few members. That is what I found so shocking and upsetting! The reason that I came to the ends that I did is simply to let people know that there is to be nobody taking advantage of another member. It felt like that was what was being attempted, so I called it out.

Yes... the Tim's cards are hot right now, but not the base, Die Cuts, Season Highlights... etc. The Jerseys and Autos are. I had none in the trades coming to me. Simple as that. Now... yes there are some cards that book high-sell low, but there are also cards that sell high-book low. The Lidstrom is one of them. It is a highly collectible set, and there are a load of people that collect Lidstrom. I am not going to trade it down, but the push kept coming on even after I said no. THAT is what was greedy!

I am glad to see the debate bring people to the boards, and I hope that nobody is hurt by this post. All I want to do is set a ground rule about the ethics that we all should follow in this hobby, lest we end up like rookieaholic2nd, josiahcecil, Blackhawks81, or the many, MANY other eBay "sellers" that ruin it for so many of us. The past line is not to compare anyone to those listed.

Best wishes, Beckett Community! Look for my box break in a bit!

Randi

The best way to look at a trade is if the other member offered you the same deal in reverse, (the one you're offering them), would you do it?

(10-16-2015, 11:54 PM)azicet Wrote: The best way to look at a trade is if the other member offered you the same deal in reverse, (the one you're offering them), would you do it?
That is good in theory but doesn't always hold true. I recently traded FWA of Barakovsky and two wings cards for a Roy insert. Would I trade a Roy insert for those three cards? No, because I collect Roy cards. I am always willing to trade down on a deal for cards I want and I would hope others are as well. I am also willing to deal in your favor if I am asking you to trade down. It is how I have always traded and will continue to do so.
[Image: 36415429146_421111660f_b.jpg]Scott Nobles, on Flickr

I think it is hard to set "ground rules" when trades are always so subjective. I trade down all the time. I do not want a trader with 100 cards I need avoiding making an offer because I have nothing they "need". Send me the offer asking for 1 or 2 big BV cards. I will make that trade. Same goes for when I get an offer and you have none of my needs. I am going to look for the most tradeable cards from your list.

None of it is worth getting upset over, or calling people greedy. Simply decline and send a comment explaining why. It usually ends up that both traders are being reasonable in their requests from their POV.

Just remember people, "BV" is a guess at best - especially when you're only relying on a single source for that information.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

AMEN, Brother!!!! My issue lately is people picking and choosing which cards are mint and which aren't . Of course everyone wants their cards to be mint, but that changes the value on beckket. My understanding, when I joined, t all cards are the default grade. The only time any other grade comes into play is when the card is actually graded!! Thmy bit hod the day

(10-14-2015, 07:19 AM)rayeates Wrote: I have even been told that a $120 card that I have is not worth that much when it was put into question.
Who said it was worth that much? Beckett?
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

These are all good thoughts and rules to live by, but these are my basic philosophies.

1) If both sides are happy with a trade, it's a good trade.

2) It doesn't hurt to ask for a specific card, because you'd be surprised what some people are willing to trade. But if the other person declines (and is rude, especially) or wants to get into a debate about book value vs. eBay value, just move on. Unless it's a 1/1 or something, someone else will eventually have what you're looking for.

3) Always reply to all trade requests, even if you're not interested.

4) Be polite. Don't be an a-- hat. Ever.

These simple philosophies have served me very well in the 200+ successful trades I have made on Beckett over the years.