`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Better than a mail day (Scans)... [Story]

Better than a mail day (Scans)... [Story]
Alright so I work as a service technician for a telecommunications company and while I was working inside a home today I saw a box of cards and a really thick binder from the 90's era sitting in the corner. Well it's not too uncommon to see 90's junk laying around in attics or garages so I didn't get too excited at first but as I looked a little closer without actually taking a look (Because I try to be as professional as possible ;/) I see about 100 top loaders in a box... Well at this point, I become intrigued and I just had to know what was in there so I took my first shot at striking up a conversation about collecting and apparently he was a hardcore collector/buyer/trader in the 90's and he lost most of his collection during Katrina...

Well eventually he told me to take a look if I wanted so, almost instantly, I began digging in and it was a blast seeing what he had in there.. It was mostly Griffey, Bonds, Ripken, Andruw Jones, and Jeter inserts with a lot of randoms mixed in but nothing really high dollar from what I could tell. I'm not too savvy on 90's era but I remember some of it from my childhood and they really did make some visually appealing cards in that era. As I went on, I tried to avoid the value conversation as much as possible because I do know enough about collecting to know that a lot of people have no idea most of it is worthless these days but we did talk briefly about it and he did know a little about card values tanking so I just told him I really didn't know what much of it was worth because I mostly collect stuff from this era and he was okay with that so I dodged that bullet...

Well after 20 minutes of sifting through through what he has left of his collection I got back to work and just prayed that he might just give me what he had left (LoL right?).. He did mention that he had not touched them in years and he could tell I was like a kid in a candy store so it really wasn't too much of a stretch, honestly.. I just got a really good vibe from our conversation. Well as I was leaving we said our nice to meet you and good byes and I got in my vehicle to run a few tests before leaving. At this point, I wasn't disappointed but I was still holding on to hope that the Card Gods might throw me a bone and not long after I sat down he came and asked me to do him a favor and if I did he would let me cherry pick a few cards from his collection and at that point I almost had a composed heart attack...

Needless to say, I ended up doing far more than he had originally asked me to do and I did do a fine job. However, before digging back in I did insist and legitimately meant that it wasn't necessary to do what he had offered bc I had honestly just enjoyed the conversation and do stuff like that all the time without any kick backs. But he wouldn't have it and 'forced' me to dig in and keep a few for myself and this was the end result...

photo 883BC08A-AEB0-4A2D-BF6E-2BDF2B36BB07_zpskvdk92cm.jpg

photo 3EFDD957-E1AF-4E8C-B61D-B1489910F3B4_zpshxudituz.jpg

photo 098A9887-05D2-4925-9FD9-93D399296743_zpso6acfkag.jpg

photo FE1FAA53-C3A2-4437-B25D-4FAE9FBCBEF4_zps9y28mpta.jpg

photo F2813BD6-3BBE-4EC0-9229-DC9504FD1997_zpsodrdsv9o.jpg

RE: Better than a mail day (Scans)... [Story]
Very nice. That's got to be a huge bonus getting an unexpected chunk of cards in the middle of your work day.

That my friend is what I call a good day at work.

Really nice. One enjoyable work day with a few bonus cards for tip.