`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topps Chrome Refractors

RE: Topps Chrome Refractors
So, is this the prizm or normal refractor? The normal ones I thought had more of a fluid change in the light. This one looks like small triangles, etc. refracting the light?

[Image: 19daee37-f503-4e58-90e2-e213401d1c73_zps7sol6htp.jpg]
Thanks,
- Steve

Yes, that is a prism refractor.

For me the best way to find the regular refractors is under a lamp and then looking at the border at the bottom. Holding cards at an angle also helps.

Also agree that if you have to look so hard to figure it out it is a little pointless other than you need to know because they are worth more.

(09-05-2015, 09:20 AM)sshissler Wrote: So, is this the prizm or normal refractor? The normal ones I thought had more of a fluid change in the light. This one looks like small triangles, etc. refracting the light?

[Image: 19daee37-f503-4e58-90e2-e213401d1c73_zps7sol6htp.jpg]

(09-05-2015, 10:11 AM)mmahoney Wrote: Yes, that is a prism refractor.

For me the best way to find the regular refractors is under a lamp and then looking at the border at the bottom. Holding cards at an angle also helps.

Also agree that if you have to look so hard to figure it out it is a little pointless other than you need to know because they are worth more.
correct prism refractor
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Half of me loves all of these parallels and half of me doesn't. The half of me that does is the half that has just now come back to the hobby that I loved after taking a good 20 year break. Back in the early 90's, you had nothing but base cards and simple inserts. No autographs, no parallels, nothing to look forward to but pulling that all star or rookie card. That seems pretty bland today, and I actually like the fact that opening a pack, or box these days means the chance of pulling something really rare and valuable.

The half of me that doesn't like all of these variations is the half that is still stuck in the collecting ways of my youth. Again, back then, you only had the basic insets and base cards, but that simplicity... there was something nice about not having 10 different versions of each card to look up or collect. You knew what you wanted. If it was a Ken Griffey Jr. rookie, there was only one to go after and when you saw it, you knew what it was worth and that was that. Also, because autographs and memorabilia weren't in the hobby, packs were cheap. I could get a pack of Topps, Fleer, Score and Donruss for 50 cents. Even 1989 Upper Deck was a buck a pack and those were the cream of the crop. The hobby was easy to collect, cheap and affordable. That is something that isn't there now. I mean, think about it... we're paying about 177 dollars for Museum, which is like... what... three packs? That's insane lol.

Overall though, I think it's better now than it was then, even if more expensive. There's something for everyone and that's always a good thing.

Hi, I was curious on how looking at the border on the top under a lamp helped you identify a refactor from a base. What differences were you looking for?

(09-05-2015, 10:11 AM)mmahoney Wrote: Yes, that is a prism refractor.

The best way to tell a regular refractor from a non refractor is take the card under a light and start to tilt it slowly up and down bending the wrists 12-6. If the card is a refractor, you will see the rainbow reflection bouncing off the card due to the light. Its a beaut when you see it. If no rainbow colors, no refractor. Try it out
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.