`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody on here from St Louis?

Anybody on here from St Louis?
Are there any traders here that are from or near St Louis? I live 20 mile south of downtown St Louis and would like to find someone who I can meet and can help me identify the refractors in 2015 Topps Chrome. If there is anyone, preferably south of St Louis, who would be willing to meet some afternoon over lunch (my treat) I would be forever grateful.

RE: Anybody on here from St Louis?
(08-28-2015, 03:01 PM)cspen Wrote: Are there any traders here that are from or near St Louis? I live 20 mile south of downtown St Louis and would like to find someone who I can meet and can help me identify the refractors in 2015 Topps Chrome. If there is anyone, preferably south of St Louis, who would be willing to meet some afternoon over lunch (my treat) I would be forever grateful.
I haven't opened any Topps Chrome but are they hard to recognize or what? It seems like it would be pretty cut and dry but I could be wrong. I know I got confused last year because my hobby box was ALL refractors and I thought the entire base set was like that. I later realized I had a hot box lol.
[Image: image.jpg]

They have always been hard for me to identify. They made it easier when they put the word refractor on the back of the cards.

If you hold them under the light and slightly move them about 10-20 degrees you can clearly see a prismatic refracted background. It's really hard to see when just going through them, but even when the light isn't 'just right' you can see the pattern in the background.
Look at this Trout card .. The pattern is visible above his left arm (right side of the card)
[Image: EEA8302A-E99D-4A54-899C-337DAB844F27_zpspxwsbg5e.jpg]

If you look at Sean & Wil, you can almost see the line pattern without the light refracting it. It's difficult, but you really shouldn't need that much help, once you see it.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(08-29-2015, 01:19 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: If you hold them under the light and slightly move them about 10-20 degrees you can clearly see a prismatic refracted background. It's really hard to see when just going through them, but even when the light isn't 'just right' you can see the pattern in the background.
Look at this Trout card .. The pattern is visible above his left arm (right side of the card)
[Image: EEA8302A-E99D-4A54-899C-337DAB844F27_zpspxwsbg5e.jpg]

If you look at Sean & Wil, you can almost see the line pattern without the light refracting it. It's difficult, but you really shouldn't need that much help, once you see it.
I can see the prism refractors just fine. It's the base refractors that I can't see

(08-29-2015, 02:46 PM)cspen Wrote: I can see the prism refractors just fine. It's the base refractors that I can't see
Oh, yeah .... For me, the refractors are really, really subtle, but if I hold the card, rotate it at 90 degrees, and at a 45 degree angle to the light, you see a rainbow-like reflection, unlike the regular cards. Hard to see, harder to explain!

Refractor on top
[Image: 3399E2B5-9667-4C46-BC4E-4EFF30C8653B_zpsssaqrquv.jpg]
Refractor on right
[Image: 3798B6F4-6BD3-43C5-88B4-A9636B75807D_zpsgdeibccf.jpg]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Bump to first page, so you can see the difference between the base and refractor

It almost seems like the refractor machine at the Topps warehouse was broke when they came out this year. I've usually been able to easily differentiate between the base and refractors, but hearing about everyone having such a difficult time with them this year has me kinda guessing. And now they have prismatic refractors this year too? What for? I thought there were enough refractor versions already.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

I think the prism refractor replaced the xfractor.
(sig courtesy of jbel4331)
[Image: sdh5p0.png]
Sets
2013 Bowman Inception Base Auto - 56/62 -90.3%
2011 Topps Cognac Diamond Anniversary(Series 1 & 2) - 383/709 -54%
2011 Topps Diamond Anniversary (Series 1 & 2) - 371/709 -52.3%
2014 Topps 1989 Die Cuts - 119/150 - 79.3%