`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ever lose respect for your PC player?

RE: Ever lose respect for your PC player?
(08-25-2015, 12:07 AM)yankees_pride Wrote: Nope DEREK JETER was and is what a baseball player should be.

I agree 500%. I think he will be the gold standard for what a player should be and how they should act for many years to come.

[quote='gator1221' pid='2573751' dateline='1440523318']
Yes .... I can see your point on Sandberg he was a manager in the southern league and we had similar experiences with him not a very nice guy. I can say from experience is going to minor-league baseball games in the Southern League I get to see some of the character of future major leaguers ... Some of the good ones of been David Price, Kris Bryant and Giancarlo Stanton but I'm sure someone has had good/bad experiences a time or two with these three but we had nothing but great . Sandberg and Javier Baez take the cake on rude individuals but overall my Little girl and I have a great experiences most recently with Sano and Byron Buxton they are two great kids...... And yes we have the art collection as well ...lol
I go to the Midwest League games at Burlington, Iowa. 99% of the players are happy to sign for you, if you follow the basic rules of saying please and thank you. The worst by far, at least for me, was Prince Fielder. He was full of himself (don't know if Cecil was like that) and his autograph was a joke. We started calling him P slash because that's what his autograph looked like.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

Not necessarily ruined a "PC" player for me, but because this thread has sort of gone down a path of autograph snubs... I was probably 11 or 12 years old ('83 or '84) and went to a card show in Orlando where Mickey Mantle was signing autographs for the unheard of price of $10. PLUS, you could buy an AL ball for $4 !!! Oh, the travesty.

Anyway, onto my story. I waited in line for quite a long time, got to the table, handed the Mick the ball and asked him, "Could you please write To: Steve"? With his bloodshot eyes and unkempt appearance, he took the ball and started writing. I anxiously got the ball back from him, expecting to see my name next to Mantle's. All I saw was his name. When I looked up, he slurred, "Get outa here kid."

Then, a year or so later, the book called "The Mick" came out. I read it cover to cover and when I realized what he was really like, he never became a favorite on my list of players to collect!
Thanks,
- Steve

I do believe Sandberg was butt hurt over being snubbed by the Cubs as their manager a few years ago.

It's interesting that when the Phillies got Andy MacPhail from the Cubs Sandberg immediately quit as manager. He was supposed to finish the season out but i'm guessing there is some bad blood from the Cubs diss.

I've watched him manage the Iowa AAA team and Phillies games. I don't think he is a very good manager to be honest. I think he figured he was a shoe in for the Cubs manager since he is the famous Ryno
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

If I recall correctly (and my memory may be wrong so feel free to tell me I'm full of it lol) but didn't he do something similar as a player?

I could have sworn I remember that he "retired" in like April one year that he was performing terribly, but then magically came back to baseball later that year.

If this is correct, it Sounds like a pattern of behavior to me...
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

I lost a lot of respect for Grace when he got those DUIs. You would think you would learn a lesson after the first. I don't know the man so I can't judge him, but as a player, he has my respect. I grew up watching him and he played the game the right way.
2009 New York Yankees Autos Project: 29/52 (56% complete)

[Image: EAiRylN.png]

Sig courtesy jbel4331

(08-25-2015, 04:23 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: If I recall correctly (and my memory may be wrong so feel free to tell me I'm full of it lol) but didn't he do something similar as a player?

I could have sworn I remember that he "retired" in like April one year that he was performing terribly, but then magically came back to baseball later that year.

If this is correct, it Sounds like a pattern of behavior to me...
I think it was more like May/June of '94 when he "first" retired. Came back in spring of '96 for 2 years then retired for good. So yes, he did walk out mid-season twice. Once as a player once as a manager. I think it was in 1990 he signed a huge contract (highest paid at that time) for like 6 years I think it was. He hit .309 in 94 and by June he was only hitting like .240. Guess he doesn't like to suck. lol
(08-25-2015, 08:57 PM)woogie23 Wrote: I think it was more like May/June of '94 when he "first" retired. Came back in spring of '96 for 2 years then retired for good. So yes, he did walk out mid-season twice. Once as a player once as a manager. I think it was in 1990 he signed a huge contract (highest paid at that time) for like 6 years I think it was. He hit .309 in 94 and by June he was only hitting like .240. Guess he doesn't like to suck. lol
I was close...
On March 2, 1992, Sandberg became the highest paid player in baseball at the time, signing a $28.4 million ($47,728,433 today) four-year extension worth $7.1 million ($11,932,108 today) a season
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

Yes 2 that come to mind A. Rod and Ryan Braun.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

Well, I was an Astros and Yankees fan growing up. And my two favorite Astros were Jim Wynn (Stabbed by his wife on their anniversary) and Cesar Cedeno. Let me tell you, although way before PC days for anyone, when the news came out about Cedeno shooting that young girl and then only getting that small fine, it soured me on Cedeno for a long time.

Rich
Plano, Tx. Card Show #7, Sunday March 5, 2017 from 9 AM to 4 PM at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx.

(08-25-2015, 11:46 AM)woogie23 Wrote: Walking out on a club mid-season, not having respect from his players, not having control over his team.
Hey...he lasted 1/2 the season....longer than most of the "fans" did. He left while the getting was good, i.e. before being fired.. A lot of immature young players that needed to grow up. Sorry, but I have cards that have more personality than Ryan. May have been a great player, but like most superstar/HOF'ers a bad manager (ie Ted Williams). He actually was very nice to my girls signing a HOF induction photo for them. You can never go by what happens at the ballpark as the guys are "working".

I would assume you PC him for his playing days and not his personality, which hasn't changed. So keep PC'ing him IMO (and I can't stand the guy.......)

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Well, I'm not ditching him, just don't think I'll be searching to build up what I have already. Gonna really focus on Rizzo. I haven't PC'd a current player since Ryno retired the 2nd time. heh. Back then didn't have to try and collect 5 or 6 Topps Chrome cards. Will be fun to try and go after those for Rizzo.
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]