`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To grade or not to grade?

RE: To grade or not to grade?
(08-17-2015, 05:48 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: The Jackson is listed at $60 there.
lol... yeah, my bad. But I don't understand. It says (unless I'm wrong, and I probably am) on their website that it costs 17 dollars to get a card graded? So why wouldn't it be worth a shot? I'd still make 40 dollars if it came back a 10 right?

Man, this is so much more confusing than the old beckett based, ungraded mint and N-mint days of my youth lol

(08-17-2015, 05:50 PM)bamyanks Wrote: First off, those values are for a card graded a 10. As I said in my other post, I don't think you'll come close to a 10, at best an 8. Then if you would have looked at the three grades listed in the PSA price guide, values drop substantially below a 10. There is no way you are gonna recoup any value if the cards come back at a 9 or below. Sorry, but value for late '80's cards just isn't there since they made so many of them. Even if you would be able to get in a group submission, I don't think you'll cover grading cost, postage etc. with less than a 10.
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I know cards from that era don't hold much value below a 10... and most don't even have much value then. The 1986 cards, for some reason (guessing it's how horribly cut they were) actually DO have some big hits, particularly the Nolan Ryan and Sandberg cards and these cards looked pretty clean. I guess grading standards are a lot more rigorous than I thought.

I read if someone wants to collect cards from that era (84-91) that they should go after graded tiffany parallels. I wish I had known about them when I was a kid. I would have bought every damn set lol

(08-17-2015, 05:55 PM)Nintari Wrote: lol... yeah, my bad. But I don't understand. It says (unless I'm wrong, and I probably am) on their website that it costs 17 dollars to get a card graded? So why wouldn't it be worth a shot? I'd still make 40 dollars if it came back a 10 right?

Man, this is so much more confusing than the old beckett based, ungraded mint and N-mint days of my youth lol
You have to read farther about all costs. PSA is super expensive. That doesn't include shipping and your outgoing insurance costs. If your dead set on grading them, send them to Beckett. You can choose your time frame of how fast you want them back which drastically reduces your costs. But as stated previously, you need to pull 10's to make it worth while.

(08-17-2015, 06:02 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: You have to read farther about all costs. PSA is super expensive. That doesn't include shipping and your outgoing insurance costs. If your dead set on grading them, send them to Beckett. You can choose your time frame of how fast you want them back which drastically reduces your costs. But as stated previously, you need to pull 10's to make it worth while.
Alright, thanks. I'm glad I have this forum to save me from ruin lol. I'm going to stick to pre graded vintage cards from now on. It's just not worth the time/money.

(08-17-2015, 05:55 PM)Nintari Wrote: lol... yeah, my bad. But I don't understand. It says (unless I'm wrong, and I probably am) on their website that it costs 17 dollars to get a card graded? So why wouldn't it be worth a shot? I'd still make 40 dollars if it came back a 10 right?

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I know cards from that era don't hold much value below a 10... and most don't even have much value then. The 1986 cards, for some reason (guessing it's how horribly cut they were) actually DO have some big hits, particularly the Nolan Ryan and Sandberg cards and these cards looked pretty clean. I guess grading standards are a lot more rigorous than I thought.

I read if someone wants to collect cards from that era (84-91) that they should go after graded tiffany parallels. I wish I had known about them when I was a kid. I would have bought every damn set lol
Its not a 10, the back is off centered.
-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-

What's your motivation? Are you grading for your PC or trading/selling purposes? Personally, I love grading for my PC, but if I'm going to trade it or sell it I let the next person take care of grading.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(08-19-2015, 01:13 PM)jonathani Wrote: What's your motivation? Are you grading for your PC or trading/selling purposes? Personally, I love grading for my PC, but if I'm going to trade it or sell it I let the next person take care of grading.
It depends on the card. If it's a player I admire/like, I'll keep it and the value attached is just something nice and a bonus. If it's someone I don't care about, I'll only keep it if I feel the value is likely to increase. If I think it's going to decrease, I'll see.

But overall, I just like the case that my card is slabbed and preserved for all time with a definitive grade. Raw cards are subjective. Graded cards are not. Sure, someone can argue that your PSA 10 isn't really a 10, but good luck winning that one lol.