`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been bothering me a bit

Been bothering me a bit
Happy wednesday everyone. Well this has been on my mind for a while now. Wanted to get everyones thoughts. So trades that have been sent to me in the past, i respond, send counter and wait. Well them i get a message. Cant do that. Not an even trade. I say what do you mean. Same BV. Response, well ebay sold for this so i am wanting ex amount in trade. Well folks, i am not doing that. I joined this site to have fun. Trade bv for bv. If you are going to go by ebay sales, so sell on there. I am all for it. But please, dont counteroffer and say this is what is going on ebay and this is what i want. If you dont want to trade the card, then dont ask for my good ones either. This drives me nuts!! I have been on here little over 5 years and i think that i have done decent trades. In fact, well over 500.
So if i am out of line here and you are wanting ebay sales, please dont bother.
Thoughts out there? Would like to hear what everyone thinks. I mean, am i wrong to think this??

RE: Been bothering me a bit
No, not even remotely wrong to think this buddy. I'm in the same boat as you. If you are here trading, you do it BV for BV. I'm not on here looking for cards I can flip on the Bay to make some money. You wanna do that? Do it the old fashioned way, buy some packs, cross your fingers and sell what you get from it. Don't come on here asking me for $80 worth of cards, but only be willing to give me a $30 card back. Sorry, but it's not gonna happen.

Another thing that's been driving me crazy while we're on the topic, asking for more than what a card is showing in BV simply because you THINK the price of the card is gonna go up or because a certain player is hot at the moment. Listen, if you think the card is going up in value, then why not take it out of your org and hang on to it? If you really feel that, hold it and wait for the value to climb, THEN put it in there. I'm not trading you $150 card for your $60 card because you think it's going to skyrocket. You don't know, so don't try and guess.

My rant is over, thanks for the forum buddy!
Courtney Hawkins Supercollector
Always looking for ones we need!
58 cards needed for 1 of each unique card made! (Non 1/1's)

No, you're not wrong, I think it's just a perspective thing.

Perfect example ... I just traded a Jeter bat card and three base Bryants for a Trout jersey card.

So, technically, I traded almost double BV (the Jeter by itself books more than the Trout if I'm not mistaken), but I got something I wanted for something I didn't.

So, good trade for me.

However, maybe the guy's point is, so and so is hot right now, and so and so is not (based on eBay sales), so it's not a fair trade.

But that's his problem, not yours. Just depends on who and what it is and if both sides are happy with it.

Obviously most people wouldn't trade a $100 auto for $100 worth of commons, but that's a pretty extreme example.

I would just move on, there are plenty of traders in the sea!

For the most part I don't think you're off base. Where the problem comes though is when items that are certainly due an adjustment and don't get it when they should.

For instance, before Kershaw RCs took off last year I sent out trade offers fully expecting to give up far more than BV for them - because of how low the BV was and how high the demand for certain cards were. Some traded at BV and some traded a bit above. That's another one of those "rare" instances though.

Kepler

Overall I agree with you but it does depend on the cards involved on both sides of the trade. Here are some examples where I could understand asking for more than book value:
1) Trader A wants a really hot card that is regularly selling above book value, while Trader B is simply wanting commons to fill out a set, or a bunch of much lower book valued cards. Think of it as ten $2 cards for a card that books for $20, but regularly sells for over $20.
2) The book value hasn't been updated on a card in a decade, and it is extremely over or under priced. There are lots of examples of cards people would easily pay several times book value for, and plenty more like certain rookie cards where prices were never updated after the player never panned out (this is mostly on some late-90s and early-00s rookies).
I am not saying that one should use eBay as a guide for card prices, especially when trading. However I believe that traders should be aware of true market value, and have the option to negotiate a trade based on that when it makes sense. What I don't like is the following example:
Let's say there is a trade for 2 cards, booking for $20 each. Trader A says, my card last sold on eBay for $10, and your card last sold for $2, so I am going to need more.
What trading comes down to is making sure both sides are happy, but what takes away from that happiness is when someone starts pointing at last eBay sale prices as the only method for determining value.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(08-12-2015, 01:28 PM)djohn Wrote: What I don't like is the following example:
Let's say there is a trade for 2 cards, booking for $20 each. Trader A says, my card last sold on eBay for $10, and your card last sold for $2, so I am going to need more.
What trading comes down to is making sure both sides are happy, but what takes away from that happiness is when someone starts pointing at last eBay sale prices as the only method for determining value.
This right here is EXACTLY what I was referring to in my post. I understand having to change the value of cards that haven't been updated in a decade, but when you go to eBay and start trotting out what sold for what and asking for more because of it, that's where I have the biggest issue with it.
Courtney Hawkins Supercollector
Always looking for ones we need!
58 cards needed for 1 of each unique card made! (Non 1/1's)

Ultimately a trade only works when both individuals are satisfied with it. I tend to look past eBay when it is something I really want. That being said the BV's are just a guide and two cards that book 20.00 - 50.00 may have a completely different value (one sells for $20 / one sells for $50 - ignoring cases where BV is just out of line) and in cases where things don't line up I have never had an issue with someone wanting more from a BV perspective from me.

Theres a lot of times that i wouldnt trade BV for BV. Book value is just that. book value. not true value. Its a guide. Values fluctuate greatly, especially among prospects. For set fillers and common low end autos, inserts, and relics im all for using BV.

For instance, lets say there I am offered a trade involving "Player A" and "Player B" The exact same card, only different players. Same set, same serial numbering, same everything. "player A" books for 100, but regularly sells well below BV. "Player B" also books 100, but commonly sells close to BV. No way would I trade my Player B card for the "Player A" card. You wouldn't either.

I trade BV with BV...only cards without a BV have a price placed agreeable to both traders..
I have over 1500 trades and this works most times.

If the other trader wants more a certain card..fine..sometimes I agree..sometimes I do not..

Both traders have to be happy with the trade..I trade GU and AUTOS for base and parallel Giants cards all the time bv to bv..I am happy with that.

eBay is so variable..sometimes the card sells for $40 and then other times it sells for $15..in the same week...

Trading is fun and the real reason I use this site..to get my PC cards I need..

If I do not like the trade.I tell the other person and cancel..I do not leave people hanging and I try not to rude...

The only time I have an issue..where I come off rude..is when the cards are marked mint (adding 10% + to BV)..this used to be the standard when listing cards in ORG..now it is NrMt (8)..when I tell some people that the cards need to be a lower condition..they get mad..saying their cards are mint..I say to them that if they are a grading service or the cards are graded..fine..otherwise the card has a BV at NrMt..

Never had have anyone get so mad as over this..it is like road rage with cards!!!

(08-12-2015, 02:34 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: I trade BV with BV...only cards without a BV have a price placed agreeable to both traders..
I have over 1500 trades and this works most times.

If the other trader wants more a certain card..fine..sometimes I agree..sometimes I do not..

Both traders have to be happy with the trade..I trade GU and AUTOS for base and parallel Giants cards all the time bv to bv..I am happy with that.

eBay is so variable..sometimes the card sells for $40 and then other times it sells for $15..in the same week...

Trading is fun and the real reason I use this site..to get my PC cards I need..

If I do not like the trade.I tell the other person and cancel..I do not leave people hanging and I try not to rude...

The only time I have an issue..where I come off rude..is when the cards are marked mint (adding 10% + to BV)..this used to be the standard when listing cards in ORG..now it is NrMt (8)..when I tell some people that the cards need to be a lower condition..they get mad..saying their cards are mint..I say to them that if they are a grading service or the cards are graded..fine..otherwise the card has a BV at NrMt..

Never had have anyone get so mad as over this..it is like road rage with cards!!!
Yeah thats another thing. Traders listing their cards as mint. Unless its graded, dont tell me that its mint. And yes, i like being on here because its fun. Looking for PC players that i want to collect. And i also agree that i dont like to be hanging on. I have a tendancy to this from time to time. But i kindly explain due to my kids and thier activities, it get a little harder. My rule of thumb is 2 days. You can see that they checked in for the day. If so, i send them a message. Thanks