`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BLOWOUT Cards? No longer legit?

RE: BLOWOUT Cards? No longer legit?
I had forgotten about this thread. Can't believe it's been 5 years.

I will say that I have ordered from all of the major online wholesalers (including blowout) in the last 5 years and have had some nice hits. No "case hits" but nice hits none the less.

If there are bad apples out there we will likely never find out as it would be very hard to prove. Like one poster said, buying boxes and hoping for hits is a gamble. Over the past few years I have purposely ordered from various online sellers with the idea in mind that if one of them are doing shady things I will at least have minimized my risk.

When I posted this I was pondering the thought of buying a case. Something I hadn't done before. And after hearing from various others the rumors of case searching I wanted to ask the other users on this site what their thoughts were on the subject and if anyone had any proof that this was actually occurring. Who knows. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. Either way it's a gamble we choose to take anytime we decide to drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on boxes/cases.

We had an LCS in my town that was open when the "hit" era (late 90s) started coming to fruition, as well as the "one or two rookies per box" era.

They eventually posted signs around the shop that they would not discuss what cards had been pulled from boxes or packs exactly because of this.

One legit point I thought they made ... if a guy came in to their shop, bought a box, took it home and never came back to tell them what he pulled, they would have no idea if the case hit had been pulled or not.

Although, there was another shop a few years later that would let the "whales" bust until they pulled the hits ... then the shop owners would open a new box and replenish the missing packs in that box.

So I never bought anything other than sealed boxes after I witnessed that a couple of times.

In the last 12 months, all of my fun hits have come from retail.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(01-17-2020, 02:24 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Although, there was another shop a few years later that would let the "whales" bust until they pulled the hits ... then the shop owners would open a new box and replenish the missing packs in that box.

So I never bought anything other than sealed boxes after I witnessed that a couple of times.
There is/was a shop in my area that I could talk for hours about how they were giant scam artists, and people have heard me go off before.
But adding to your story, this place at one time went to the point of " No longer selling boxes". They literally no longer sold sealed boxes of cards. In fact, they didn't even display packs in boxes anymore. They would have a few boxes worth of packs just loosely piled in a display case, and another pile on a shelf that they would refill from.
''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

I guess you could get away with just about anything. I've never heard anything negative about BO until I saw this thread. I'm in a FB group where they post known scammers, but it's usually always individuals. I've yet to see a LCS or big distributor being mentioned.

Now that being said, there's a guy on YouTube named "FranksPulls". He actually used to play MLB and he's opened packs from his rookie year searching for his old rookie cards. He did a video the other day where he opened 3 or 4 boxes of 2019 Topps Chrome Sapphire. He did a little intro stating that the autographs and the colored prizm parallels are on VERY SLIGHTLY thicker card stock. So he went to Amazon and bought a jewelry scale that measures grams. He took every pack he had an measured it. Almost every pack was mid-13 grams. Anything that went over 14 grams he set to the side to test his theory.

Sure enough every 13 gram pack was nothing but regular base and every single over 14 gram pack had a hit. He was literally 100% correct using a jewelry scale only. Now he did mention that he was not condoning or encouraging people to walk into their LCS, find 2019 Topps Chrome Sapphire packs, and weigh them in public. He was just following up on a rumor he heard about the autos/parallels and sure enough, it was 100% true.

Now there could well be a LCS who lets a big spender do that. But I honestly can't imagine a large operation like BO or DA taking the time and effort to pull something like this off with re-making cases with no case hits, etc.

Reminds me of a guy I caught years ago in a WalMart with digital calipers measuring the thickness of all the packs....
''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

(01-17-2020, 02:24 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: There was another shop a few years later that would let the "whales" bust until they pulled the hits ... then the shop owners would open a new box and replenish the missing packs in that box.

My LCS does this. Whenever packs are left, they open another box and put them on top. So there might be 32 packs in a 24-pack box if all the hits had been pulled from another box.

If there's enough packs left over after all the hits are pulled from the 2nd box and there's enough packs to be close to complete, they'll just tell everyone it's a fresh box and they're not opening another until that one is empty.

Similarly, there's always one pack missing from Topps Gold Label when I go in there. They'll be like yea, it's a fresh box. But someone came in and bought one pack out of the pack. So the other 5 are left.

Not going there..had a shop in a city (before the internet seller were big) that would refill the boxes with cards fro other boxes after the hits were gone..there are a Topps product where the "hit" was on the lower right corner of every box..open boxes were "shuffled", but never from the same box and never had a hit from the packs..go figure..
I only buy sealed boxes from then on..if i going to waste my money, then i might as well waste it on the odds from the sealed box..although the "hit" is usually a minor star jersey worth $8..
Anyway..if you are keen enough to suspect product tampering..then time to move on..they will have their reward elsewhere..

To get back the topic..I go to the Fantastic store..the store for Blowout (live in the same area..Chantilly Va) and never had a problem or an even a hint of tampering etc..they are upfront people..

(01-19-2020, 05:52 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: To get back the topic..I go to the Fantastic store..the store for Blowout (live in the same area..Chantilly Va) and never had a problem or an even a hint of tampering etc..they are upfront people..
Good to know. Thank you for sharing!

(01-19-2020, 10:12 AM)btrav13 Wrote: I guess you could get away with just about anything. I've never heard anything negative about BO until I saw this thread. I'm in a FB group where they post known scammers, but it's usually always individuals. I've yet to see a LCS or big distributor being mentioned.

Now that being said, there's a guy on YouTube named "FranksPulls". He actually used to play MLB and he's opened packs from his rookie year searching for his old rookie cards. He did a video the other day where he opened 3 or 4 boxes of 2019 Topps Chrome Sapphire. He did a little intro stating that the autographs and the colored prizm parallels are on VERY SLIGHTLY thicker card stock. So he went to Amazon and bought a jewelry scale that measures grams. He took every pack he had an measured it. Almost every pack was mid-13 grams. Anything that went over 14 grams he set to the side to test his theory.

Sure enough every 13 gram pack was nothing but regular base and every single over 14 gram pack had a hit. He was literally 100% correct using a jewelry scale only. Now he did mention that he was not condoning or encouraging people to walk into their LCS, find 2019 Topps Chrome Sapphire packs, and weigh them in public. He was just following up on a rumor he heard about the autos/parallels and sure enough, it was 100% true.

Now there could well be a LCS who lets a big spender do that. But I honestly can't imagine a large operation like BO or DA taking the time and effort to pull something like this off with re-making cases with no case hits, etc.
Think it's "Phil's Pulls" and its Phil Hughes. Saw the same video, a bit disturbing. Sad thing was the "pulls" were crap too. A /10 of a common still isn't worth more than $2-3. And the autos were garbage.