`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the deal with Joc Pederson?

What's the deal with Joc Pederson?
OK, so not too long ago I pulled a Joc Pederson silver RC auto/50 out of a Gypsy Queen blaster, and I was very excited about it, obviously.

Then he makes the All-Star team, even better.

But since I'm not specifically a Dodgers fan or Joc collector, I was astonished during the All-Star game when they showed that his batting average is .230.

I mean, .230?

Has anyone ever made an All-Star team hitting .230?

And I knew he hit a fair amount of home runs, 20, but he has only driven in 40 runs, not a very good ratio.

And he strikes out ... a lot.

And I knew he was supposed to be a power-speed guy (30-30 last year in Triple-A, right?), but when I checked his stats today he's only 2 for 7 in stolen bases.

So, honestly, what's the deal? I know he's a pretty good outfielder, but is he maybe getting a bit too much hype?

And yes, I know Mike Trout hit .220 his first year in MLB - but that was only in 123 at-bats, and that was when he was 19.

Joc is already 23 - the same age as Trout is now.

Again, I'm stoked I pulled the card, but just wondering if everyone is making too big of a deal about him at this point?

RE: What's the deal with Joc Pederson?
I do believe the hype has influence in the price of his cards. It is about prospecting and people thinking that he maybe raise his average in the future and manta in his joe rum pace. Remember that is mostly speculations..
that he keep his home run pace as he raise his average.

(07-17-2015, 06:40 PM)franciscomarina Wrote: I do believe the hype has influence in the price of his cards. It is about prospecting and people thinking that he maybe raise his average in the future and manta in his joe rum pace. Remember that is mostly speculations..
that he keep his home run pace as he raise his average.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's a "tools" thing, projecting what he could be I guess.

All star game selections can be a popularity contest. Look at Bryce Harper's previous selections. However, I think people were looking at the 20 home runs and his outfield play when casting their votes. Another thing to consider is the RBI total isn't entirely his fault. With 20 dingers you'd expect he'd have more than that. Guys just aren't getting on in front of him when he goes yard.

(07-17-2015, 06:56 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: All star game selections can be a popularity contest. Look at Bryce Harper's previous selections. However, I think people were looking at the 20 home runs and his outfield play when casting their votes. Another thing to consider is the RBI total isn't entirely his fault. With 20 dingers you'd expect he'd have more than that. Guys just aren't getting on in front of him when he goes yard.
To add to that why are the dodger batting him led off with his power. He should be batting in front of Adrian Gonzalez give him some protection so pitchers are.more inclined to throw him more fast balls. This is management of the Dodgers at their finest. I'd bat puig in the two hole then joc, Gonzalez and turner as my leadoff guy but this is just me.
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

I asked myself this question last week and when I did some research into his numbers I was actually quite impressed. I'm going to throw down some stats that will hopefully open some eyes. They are all MLB ranks btw.

OBP: 32 overall
HR's: 12(T)
WAR: 51 (T)
SLG: 34

Here's the real scary thought. If he raises his BA to .260 then his OBP would be top 10.
[Image: m5GDmvD.png]

Want List
- 2006 Craig Biggio SP Authentic By the Letter "B" "O"
- 1991 Topps Desert Shield Chipper Jones

RJ...just to put it into perspective, Mike Schmidt hit .198 with 18 HR his rookie year and struck out at an incredible rate, but like Joc...walked quite a bit. Very good fielder to boot.......

As stated above, AS selections are popularity contests and the NL outfielders to pick from are very sparse. I put zero weight into AS selections, though I'm probbably in the minority.

I think your hit is great and I would hang onto it for at least til next season.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(07-18-2015, 11:40 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: RJ...just to put it into perspective, Mike Schmidt hit .198 with 18 HR his rookie year and struck out at an incredible rate, but like Joc...walked quite a bit. Very good fielder to boot.......

As stated above, AS selections are popularity contests and the NL outfielders to pick from are very sparse. I put zero weight into AS selections, though I'm probbably in the minority.

I think your hit is great and I would hang onto it for at least til next season.
I'm with you. All star selections look great on the resume but don't mean jack these days. I'll take the guy playing 160 games a year with a career .290 average over some kid that's been "hot" for the first half of the year with 20 jacks and batting under two and a half bucks. Unfortunately it's an event for the visually stimulated. Most people don't know about Joc's average because that doesn't make Sports Center.

OK, fair enough. Again, I'm not trying to de-value my own card, just trying to figure out the Joc Mania!

Joc needs to gain patience at the plate & wait for the right pitch but I'm pretty sure he'll get it soon enough.
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.