`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1984 Star MJ's

1984 Star MJ's
I was checking some recent sold listings of the 1984-85 Star Michael Jordan's and the prices have seen to skyrocket in the past month. Why do you guys think this is? It's always been seen as one of his most iconic cards in my eyes but why such a change in price/interest lately?
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

RE: 1984 Star MJ's
(07-13-2015, 01:57 AM)arabiansnowgriz Wrote: I was checking some recent sold listings of the 1984-85 Star Michael Jordan's and the prices have seen to skyrocket in the past month. Why do you guys think this is? It's always been seen as one of his most iconic cards in my eyes but why such a change in price/interest lately?
It's been happening with the 1986-87 Fleer MJ as well. PSA 9's have gone up 50% over the past few months. Maybe a lot of people cashed in stock options recently. :p

(07-13-2015, 05:48 PM)ifyoucanthinkofit Wrote: It's been happening with the 1986-87 Fleer MJ as well. PSA 9's have gone up 50% over the past few months. Maybe a lot of people cashed in stock options recently. :p
Haha maybe! It's a good and bad thing for me I guess. I wanted to get back at picking up some more Stars but guess I'll have to wait till they cool off a bit.
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

(07-15-2015, 11:25 AM)arabiansnowgriz Wrote: Haha maybe! It's a good and bad thing for me I guess. I wanted to get back at picking up some more Stars but guess I'll have to wait till they cool off a bit.
Right now it seems that quite a few people are putting their money into "non-liquid" assets, including me. I'm betting that my 1984-85 Star Jordan will go up faster than my stocks. So far I think I've been right. :p

Well Beckett starting to grade these are definitely a big factor. I wonder if PSA will ever grade these... Would love to add a Jordan XRC some day. I've always valued that card more than the Fleer, even way back in the early 90's. I always knew how special this card was/is. So nice to see Beckett finally grade these. I just hope that fakes never get through grading. Anybody know the difference between the real and fake? I know with the Fleer RC there are clear ways to tell.
I am "THE" Elgin Baylor collector. Collecting basketball cards since 1992. You may know me from other places as "SportsItUpCards" or "Gio"

Collecting:

Elgin Baylor

Steve Francis 1999-00 Rare cards #'d to 100 or less

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

(07-20-2015, 09:42 AM)nba50 Wrote: Well Beckett starting to grade these are definitely a big factor. I wonder if PSA will ever grade these... Would love to add a Jordan XRC some day. I've always valued that card more than the Fleer, even way back in the early 90's. I always knew how special this card was/is. So nice to see Beckett finally grade these. I just hope that fakes never get through grading. Anybody know the difference between the real and fake? I know with the Fleer RC there are clear ways to tell.
Beckett has been grading the Star cards for quite some time now. They are the only major grading company that will grade them. They had Steve Taft from Star Co. come in and train them on the cards.

The major thing to look for on the Star #101 Jordan RC is:

1. Rebounds acronym should be "REB" and not "Reb" that is the first tell-tale sign of a legit or fake card.

2. The line separating the stats from the averages should go almost all the way into the black border surrounding the stats/info area. There should be very little space between them.

3. The overall font used on the back of the card. Should be kind of slightly italicized. You really need a legit card to compare it to see the differences.

4. Back should be a light pink.

5. Most cards are off-centered. If you see one that has perfect centering or near-perfect centering, use caution.

I saved hi-res pics of mine so that I could compare it to other ones I ran across later on. I've physically held 3 others outside of mine that were real and the rest I've come across have been fakes/after-prints.

(07-20-2015, 09:42 AM)nba50 Wrote: Well Beckett starting to grade these are definitely a big factor. I wonder if PSA will ever grade these... Would love to add a Jordan XRC some day. I've always valued that card more than the Fleer, even way back in the early 90's. I always knew how special this card was/is. So nice to see Beckett finally grade these. I just hope that fakes never get through grading. Anybody know the difference between the real and fake? I know with the Fleer RC there are clear ways to tell.
what happened on blowout? the trolls finally get you.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

(07-20-2015, 05:10 PM)NateNichols Wrote: Beckett has been grading the Star cards for quite some time now. They are the only major grading company that will grade them. They had Steve Taft from Star Co. come in and train them on the cards.

The major thing to look for on the Star #101 Jordan RC is:

1. Rebounds acronym should be "REB" and not "Reb" that is the first tell-tale sign of a legit or fake card.

2. The line separating the stats from the averages should go almost all the way into the black border surrounding the stats/info area. There should be very little space between them.

3. The overall font used on the back of the card. Should be kind of slightly italicized. You really need a legit card to compare it to see the differences.

4. Back should be a light pink.

5. Most cards are off-centered. If you see one that has perfect centering or near-perfect centering, use caution.

I saved hi-res pics of mine so that I could compare it to other ones I ran across later on. I've physically held 3 others outside of mine that were real and the rest I've come across have been fakes/after-prints.
This is excellent information, THANK YOU! This will be a good thread to reference down the line...

Ping, I will PM you.
I am "THE" Elgin Baylor collector. Collecting basketball cards since 1992. You may know me from other places as "SportsItUpCards" or "Gio"

Collecting:

Elgin Baylor

Steve Francis 1999-00 Rare cards #'d to 100 or less

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

(07-20-2015, 10:46 PM)nba50 Wrote: This is excellent information, THANK YOU! This will be a good thread to reference down the line...

Ping, I will PM you.
No problem.

Here are Hi-Res images of mine:

[Image: StarMJFront_zpsocqi7erb.jpg]

[Image: StarMJBack_zpskafh8spl.jpg]

(07-13-2015, 01:57 AM)arabiansnowgriz Wrote: I was checking some recent sold listings of the 1984-85 Star Michael Jordan's and the prices have seen to skyrocket in the past month. Why do you guys think this is? It's always been seen as one of his most iconic cards in my eyes but why such a change in price/interest lately?
I noticed the MJ Star 84-85 #101 XRC (or true RC) prices started soaring right after they had that first Star #101 BGS 9.5 card come out and the price tag for it was $50k. I think collectors and investors alike are seeing how valuable and lucrative MJ memorabilia is. MJ sells more than any other player on ebay and that includes Mickey Mantle.