`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Deal With a Former NHL Player 2 Years in the Making! WOW!!!

My First Deal With a Former NHL Player 2 Years in the Making! WOW!!!
About two years ago (Jan. 2013), I added a game worn jersey to my museum collection, a first NHL win Oilers jersey belonging to former NHL goaltender, Steve Passmore. I posted it on my personal Facebook and tagged Steve in it, expecting him to not even notice as maybe 1 in 5 or so former players ever really care that I have something of theirs in my museum. Instead, he asked me directly where I got it from and what we could work out to have it re-enter his collection since he had been looking for it for a while.

I resisted at first, because you can't just get a first win piece so easily and I've had so many other people offer money and stuff of the sort on my jerseys and I never gave into those either. I offered to make a trade, but he really didn't have anything game worn of his to barter with and it wasn't about money to me. We sort of left it there and I explained my side because I wasn't trying to be a prick. Fast forward to January of this year and I am a little more reasonable to deal with and Steve made me an offer that I accepted because who would appreciate a first NHL win jersey more than the player himself. To me the museum's about having fans remember every goalie of the NHL, but it feels wrong to say 'no' to the original user of the sweater. All I asked was that we hold out until after the May Summit Show as I wanted to display his jersey in my Battle of Alberta themed display. As I see it as an act of positive karma for offering to help Steve, his NHL debut/first win, etc. mask actually made its way into my collection from another collector right after the show as well (a deal made well after I finalized the offer with Mr. Passmore). Anyways, our deal was I send the jersey his way in exchange for a game/practice used glove from when he was in the Coyotes' system in 2005-06, as well as a signed photo.

Well, we completed the deal, so here they are in all of their glory. The mask is in my last show and tell thread if you want to check it out.

[Image: passmoreglove3_zpscbpebuvn.jpg]

[Image: passmoreglove2_zpsfe7tbpan.jpg]

[Image: passmoreglove1_zpsuiduwysl.jpg]

[Image: passmorepic_zpsh9eate8k.jpg]

RE: My First Deal With a Former NHL Player 2 Years in the Making! WOW!!!
Very cool!

That picture is amazing. When someone you collect tells you you have an awesome collection, be assured your collection rocks. Fantastic! And, by the way, "Go 'Hawks!" One more win!
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing. Another great piece for your museum

Thanks for the comments everyone!