Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
SGC or PSA

SGC or PSA
Howdy,

I am slowly getting a few vintage cards for my PC and thinking about getting some graded cards.
This has probably been brought up before, but what is the most preferred grading for Vintage cards (ie; 1960, etc..) is PSA more desirable in the long term versus SGC? I am debating on obtaining a SGC graded card.

I had this in the Vintage forum, but thought I'd have it here too.( I hope that's ok and if not, Mods can delete)

Thanks in advance.

***************UPDATED 6/4/15**********

Well the Yaz Rookie made it here to my place with a 1961 Yaz (SGC looks good too) and a 1959 Fleer Ted Williams that I need for the set, which I am trying to get at least a PSA 7. Looks better in person, I've picked up a couple more Vintage Yaz, should be here next week.

Thanks for looking.

[Image: Vintage%20Yaz%20and%20Ted%20Williams.jpeg.jpeg]

[Image: 7zvFV.png]

RE: SGC or PSA
PSA. SGC is really respected in vintage graded cards but PSA has edged them out as the industry leader in graded vintage. I don't see it happening over night but I see PSA putting SGC out of business. More and more people have crossed over from SGC to PSA and with virtually no representation in the modern market they are taking a back seat in the graded card industry.

Thanks for the feedback, I will most likely go with PSA, now to decide what grade I want to get the card in. I think maybe in the graded range of "5 to 7" as I don't have the deep pockets to go after a lot of 8's or 9's right now and then upgrade at a later date.

(05-30-2015, 09:58 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: PSA. SGC is really respected in vintage graded cards but PSA has edged them out as the industry leader in graded vintage. I don't see it happening over night but I see PSA putting SGC out of business. More and more people have crossed over from SGC to PSA and with virtually no representation in the modern market they are taking a back seat in the graded card industry.

What's the card of you don't mind me asking?

Yaz 1960 Rookie card

(05-31-2015, 07:16 AM)Hofcollector Wrote: What's the card of you don't mind me asking?

I personally prefer SGC to PSA, but there is no rational reason behind this preference, pretty much aesthetics. I have seen that PSA cards tend to go for higher prices, but since I don't buy or collect to re-sell, this doesn't hold much influence on me.

I am actually getting ready to send in 1970s and early 1980s Royals to SGC and will keep doing that until I have all of my team sets graded by SGC.

I bet that Yaz is gonna be beautiful! Good luck with it.

(05-31-2015, 10:56 AM)KPRROK Wrote: I personally prefer SGC to PSA, but there is no rational reason behind this preference, pretty much aesthetics. I have seen that PSA cards tend to go for higher prices, but since I don't buy or collect to re-sell, this doesn't hold much influence on me.

I am actually getting ready to send in 1970s and early 1980s Royals to SGC and will keep doing that until I have all of my team sets graded by SGC.

I bet that Yaz is gonna be beautiful! Good luck with it.
I think PSA has the least attractive cases of the 3. I also think SGC is every bit as consistent as PSA if not more so. Unfortunately my personal preferences really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.
(05-31-2015, 10:13 AM)Dukester Wrote: Yaz 1960 Rookie card
Awesome underrated, under valued card along with the McCovey from that set.

I think I agree with everything Hofcollector and KPRROK said. I much prefer SGC, and this is where I send my vintage cards to be graded, and I would like to see them be more successful especially in the modern card grading market, but I am not sure this is going to happen.
[Image: Jones%20Kershaw_zpswfyrmlav.jpg]

I don't like PSA. I got a Shaq RC PSA 9 mint. I did notice that the card moves around inside the slab.

I happen to disagree. I think SGC is much better at vintage and are starting to do better with modern. Plus, I think we would all go broke faster with PSA, as I believe their pricing is too high. SGC's holder is so much nicer than either PSA's or Beckett's and you can't beat SGC's customer service. Plus, I'm starting to hear stories about PSA, don't know if I trust them with their shenanigans.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]