`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kris Bryant: 318 different auto's before his first rc card

RE: Kris Bryant: 318 different auto's before his first rc card
(05-24-2015, 03:57 PM)rentzington Wrote: I think since the topps minor league series of cards is strictly for minor leagues its under a different license.
But it's still a Topps card.

(05-24-2015, 05:11 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: But it's still a Topps card.
Ok so I should have clarified topps major league cards, they can't be in a major league product until in the majors likely mlbpa thing not 100% on it had this discussion with Chris olds at the card shop last season regarding abreu

(05-24-2015, 05:17 PM)rentzington Wrote: Ok so I should have clarified topps major league cards, they can't be in a major league product until in the majors likely mlbpa thing not 100% on it had this discussion with Chris olds at the card shop last season regarding abreu
Fair enough. It stills seems a little backwards to me because Topps owns Bowman and Topps name appears at the bottom on the back of all the cards.

(05-24-2015, 05:58 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: Fair enough. It stills seems a little backwards to me because Topps owns Bowman and Topps name appears at the bottom on the back of all the cards.
Yeah, I think each has a separate license though but where it's even weirder is that major league players can also be in the bowman products which I don't like

(05-24-2015, 06:12 PM)rentzington Wrote: Yeah, I think each has a separate license though but where it's even weirder is that major league players can also be in the bowman products which I don't like
I agree and they are putting more and more auto's of established MLB'ers in there as well. They're trying to make the product more exciting by adding more auto's and funky inserts when they should be limiting production runs and auto variations.

who the hell cares? in fact the more watered down this hobby is, the cheaper cards become. I create my own rules in regards to rookie cards, autos, relics, insertrs, blah blah blah and i say my rules are somewhat reasonable. Not a RC until AFTER debut in ML. I look for the card produced earliest to after the ML debut. Also the picture of player has to be in ML uniform.

I just got back into collecting after 30 yrs and couldn't believe all the crap that came out of this hobby. What a farce. Collect who you like and what you like no matter what beckett or others say. Beckett is a good resource but not very consistent. To me relics are NOT baseball cards and autos i admit are cool but you should really get an auto yourself. All these rare hyped up RC's are not worth anything until these players prove themselves for at least 10 yrs. I would trade some rare 2012 auto relic insert of some player not even 5 yrs in MLB for HoF player rookie cards any day. Why are young > 5 yr players going for way more than proven HoF players?????? Cuz collectors like us demand it

(05-25-2015, 02:21 AM)gsy971 Wrote: who the hell cares? in fact the more watered down this hobby is, the cheaper cards become. I create my own rules in regards to rookie cards, autos, relics, insertrs, blah blah blah and i say my rules are somewhat reasonable. Not a RC until AFTER debut in ML. I look for the card produced earliest to after the ML debut. Also the picture of player has to be in ML uniform.

I just got back into collecting after 30 yrs and couldn't believe all the crap that came out of this hobby. What a farce. Collect who you like and what you like no matter what beckett or others say. Beckett is a good resource but not very consistent. To me relics are NOT baseball cards and autos i admit are cool but you should really get an auto yourself. All these rare hyped up RC's are not worth anything until these players prove themselves for at least 10 yrs. I would trade some rare 2012 auto relic insert of some player not even 5 yrs in MLB for HoF player rookie cards any day. Why are young > 5 yr players going for way more than proven HoF players?????? Cuz collectors like us demand it
Yeah, uh, none of us want our cards to drop in value and we're certainly not looking for these products to become anymore watered down. As far as why are these young players going for so much money, they are in demand. It's common sense. People already have cards of the guys that been around for 10+ years. Collectors all want to get in on a promising young star so the demand goes up on his cards. Call it a case of what have you done for me lately or call it people like new shiny objects. It doesn't matter. Investors and people looking to advance their collections are looking for the next big thing. I admire you have your own set of rules for collecting but you may run into some trouble if you try to trade because:
1) Your idea of a rc card is incorrect. The MLB set the standard (not card companies) as far as rc qualifications and it all has to do with playing time.
2) Relics are in fact baseball cards. Some of which are extremely valuable
3) In person autos are great, but worth very little and not very tradable.
4) All these rare hyped up RC's are the exact opposite of what you think. They are extremely valuable and the most desired cards on the market.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the hobby has changed since 30 years ago my friend. Yes there's a lot of crap, but there's a lot of real nice stuff too. Your going to like what you like and that's okay, but you may want to be careful calling what others collect crap. Some people take that personally.

That's one thing I liked about PC'ing yelich, his auto #'s were under control (relatively).
Prospect-wise auto releases:
1 bowman chrome (2010)
1 sterling (2010)
1 elite (2010)
1 platinum relic auto (2013)
2 oddball upper deck usa releases
A single /25 inception card

Rookie card-wise:
Topps chrome
Finest (with only the relic version/and only one photo var)
A few oddball panini

With players now having autos across the same brand over multiple years before they hit the bigs, things will definitely water down a bit. I didn't know that the total #of chrome base autos produced had reached those #'s... I'd have to imagine that the price multiplier for parallels has been thrown way off. Even though people still prefer the orange, gold, blue, having these additional color variations can't help.

The other thing driving me nuts is that they keep changing the print run of various parallels, even within the same year. I think last year bowman red ice were out of /25 in bowman then /150 in draft? Purple autos went from /10 to /250 this past year? It's just getting silly

PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

(05-25-2015, 06:30 AM)Hofcollector Wrote: Yeah, uh, none of us want our cards to drop in value and we're certainly not looking for these products to become anymore watered down. As far as why are these young players going for so much money, they are in demand. It's common sense. People already have cards of the guys that been around for 10+ years. Collectors all want to get in on a promising young star so the demand goes up on his cards. Call it a case of what have you done for me lately or call it people like new shiny objects. It doesn't matter. Investors and people looking to advance their collections are looking for the next big thing. I admire you have your own set of rules for collecting but you may run into some trouble if you try to trade because:
1) Your idea of a rc card is incorrect. The MLB set the standard (not card companies) as far as rc qualifications and it all has to do with playing time.
2) Relics are in fact baseball cards. Some of which are extremely valuable
3) In person autos are great, but worth very little and not very tradable.
4) All these rare hyped up RC's are the exact opposite of what you think. They are extremely valuable and the most desired cards on the market.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the hobby has changed since 30 years ago my friend. Yes there's a lot of crap, but there's a lot of real nice stuff too. Your going to like what you like and that's okay, but you may want to be careful calling what others collect crap. Some people take that personally.
seems like its all about the $$. thats cool but are u concerned about the card dropping in value or the player dropping in value? remember the movie Tommy Boy when he said u can take a crap in a box and say its guaranteed. not sure how my definition of RC is different than MLB? i just want a picture of the player in their ML uniform. perhaps u misunderstood me. i guess when i see these posts complaining about why they put out sooo many cards then i often wonder what is the issue? just collect what u want. if u want to invest for monetary purposes then collect coins. remember the canseco era? spent some hard earned cash on these and now they can't even be given away

(05-25-2015, 03:56 PM)gsy971 Wrote: seems like its all about the $$. thats cool but are u concerned about the card dropping in value or the player dropping in value? remember the movie Tommy Boy when he said u can take a crap in a box and say its guaranteed. not sure how my definition of RC is different than MLB? i just want a picture of the player in their ML uniform. perhaps u misunderstood me. i guess when i see these posts complaining about why they put out sooo many cards then i often wonder what is the issue? just collect what u want. if u want to invest for monetary purposes then collect coins. remember the canseco era? spent some hard earned cash on these and now they can't even be given away
I understand. I agree people should collect what they like. I collect a wide variety of cards and I do acquire most strictly with the intention of resale. While you collect strictly what you like regardless of value, most people don't. Most guys will go as far as to say they don't collect for the monetary element but they do depend on their cards going up in value to be able to trade for pieces for their private collections. They trade or open boxes looking for Kris Bryants and Mike Trouts so that they can ultimately get those more expensive cards for their collections so the money aspect affects them whether they are conscious of it or not. My point is most of us acknowledge that we seek rare, high end cards and the card companies are making it laughable when they put players onto hundreds or even thousands of cards before they ever played an inning of major league ball. I love vintage. Can't get enough of it. How much less important would a '52 Topps Mantle or Eddie Mathews be if they had 300 different cards released prior to their MLB debut?