`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Patience pays off sometimes.

Patience pays off sometimes.
About two months ago a 7 card lot of an early nineties parallel came up for auction. It was comprised of all common players but one of them was a Dallas Cowboy card I have been looking for a long time to complete the parallel team set. I watched the auction and put in a snipe bid in the closing seconds of $50.00. I didn't want to pay $50 for the cards nor did I feel the market value of the card I needed was that high I just wanted to make sure I could get it. There were two early bidders and I took the chance that neither of them had maxed that high. Sure enough one bidder had and I lost the auction at $52.00. I was somewhat shocked and disappointed but more relieved that I didn't pay $50.00 for that one card. A few days later I got a second chance offer, the winner backed out. He/She probably thought that was too much too pay as well. I mulled the offer over. As many of you collector's know it can be harder to find a parallel or insert of a common player than a star many times. I hated to let this chance go but I didn't want to pay that much. I emailed the buyer and let him know that I appreciated the second chance offer but really wanted the one card. He emailed back asking me how much. I made what I feel was a reasonable offer of $10.00. So he would have $10.00 in his pocket and would get to keep the 6 other cards to resell. I never heard back.
Fast forward a week ago and the seller put the cards up for auction again starting at $4.00 plus $2.00 for shipping. I won them tonight and was the only one bidding. Moral of the story: If you're a collector patience can really pay off sometimes. If you're a seller know the market for cards and don't turn down a good offer in this day and age.

RE: Patience pays off sometimes.
(05-06-2015, 09:20 PM)jjoy Wrote: About two months ago a 7 card lot of an early nineties parallel came up for auction. It was comprised of all common players but one of them was a Dallas Cowboy card I have been looking for a long time to complete the parallel team set. I watched the auction and put in a snipe bid in the closing seconds of $50.00. I didn't want to pay $50 for the cards nor did I feel the market value of the card I needed was that high I just wanted to make sure I could get it. There were two early bidders and I took the chance that neither of them had maxed that high. Sure enough one bidder had and I lost the auction at $52.00. I was somewhat shocked and disappointed but more relieved that I didn't pay $50.00 for that one card. A few days later I got a second chance offer, the winner backed out. He/She probably thought that was too much too pay as well. I mulled the offer over. As many of you collector's know it can be harder to find a parallel or insert of a common player than a star many times. I hated to let this chance go but I didn't want to pay that much. I emailed the buyer and let him know that I appreciated the second chance offer but really wanted the one card. He emailed back asking me how much. I made what I feel was a reasonable offer of $10.00. So he would have $10.00 in his pocket and would get to keep the 6 other cards to resell. I never heard back.
Fast forward a week ago and the seller put the cards up for auction again starting at $4.00 plus $2.00 for shipping. I won them tonight and was the only one bidding. Moral of the story: If you're a collector patience can really pay off sometimes. If you're a seller know the market for cards and don't turn down a good offer in this day and age.
Congrats.

My thoughts exactly...

As a seller myself, I would of took your offer in a second.

When a buyer wants a card they are willing to make a seller a good offer and if you check their feedback, you can see what type of buyer they are...

Sometimes it is more of a "pride" thing when you are selling cards... But at the end of the day, you are selling your cards for a reason.

Most of the time that first offer you get is your best.

[Image: Star.gif]

I agree it can be nerve-wracking to see a much needed card slip through your fingers. I just decide how much I'm willing to pay and don't go over that no matter what. I usually decide on a number that is slightly above what previous auctions of the same or similar cards have gone for, but I don't get in a bidding war. It's amazing looking at the price of a card from the completed auctions and seeing wild difference on the same card in a short time.

Way to go but I bet it did not seem like it at the time!
Mostly football and a set builder

I love stories like this one. I have been in very similar situations with very similar results, and honestly, it feels like some sort of nerdy, righteous retribution, LoL! I'm super glad you got the card. If you don't mind me asking, what was the card?
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

I actually just had this happen last night! LOL I have the full rainbow for Jordy Nelson in 2014 Triple Threads, including the Onyx 1/1 and the Cyan plate. Anyhow, the black plate came up about 2 months ago, but the seller wanted 140 for it (IIRC), and had OBO on it. Almost every plate I have of Jordy I've gotten in the 20-30 dollar range... which actually surprises me because I would think he was more heavily collected... anyhow, since I already had the Onyx and the Cyan plate, I really wanted this one to have with these other two 1/1s. So, I offered him 30 for it, but was willing to go up to about 40-45 to get it. A bit more than what I pay normally for them, but having the Onyx and 2 plates was an awesome prospect Smile They responded with 100 as a counter. I wanted it, but not that bad, and I countered with 40, which they replied that they had more in it than that. So, I waited it out. Nobody bought it at 140, then nobody bought it when the price was lowered to 99.99. It went to auction and ended last night, and I got it for 31 + shipping LOL

(05-07-2015, 08:21 AM)bojesphob Wrote: I actually just had this happen last night! LOL I have the full rainbow for Jordy Nelson in 2014 Triple Threads, including the Onyx 1/1 and the Cyan plate. Anyhow, the black plate came up about 2 months ago, but the seller wanted 140 for it (IIRC), and had OBO on it. Almost every plate I have of Jordy I've gotten in the 20-30 dollar range... which actually surprises me because I would think he was more heavily collected... anyhow, since I already had the Onyx and the Cyan plate, I really wanted this one to have with these other two 1/1s. So, I offered him 30 for it, but was willing to go up to about 40-45 to get it. A bit more than what I pay normally for them, but having the Onyx and 2 plates was an awesome prospect Smile They responded with 100 as a counter. I wanted it, but not that bad, and I countered with 40, which they replied that they had more in it than that. So, I waited it out. Nobody bought it at 140, then nobody bought it when the price was lowered to 99.99. It went to auction and ended last night, and I got it for 31 + shipping LOL
Nice...

Congrats on that one!

Congrats on being patient! It's so hard to hold back on that one card you really want...

CONGRATS JJOY AND bojesphob ON GETTING UR CARDS.
I HAVE TO REFRAIN ON A FREQUENT BASIS AS I HAVE BEEN AN IMPULSE BUYER. IT IS HARD TO GET ON AUCTION SITE EVERY 2-3 DAYS TO MAKE SURE THE CARDS I WANT DON'T GET POSTED AND SOLD WITHOUT ME HAVING A CHANCE AT THEM.
COLLECT DALLAS COWBOYS, MICHIGAN WOLVERINES IN COLLEGE UNI, KELVIN BENJAMIN JASON WITTEN & 2012 TOPPS CHROME DEMARCUS WARE RAINBOW (WANTS MARKED).

I had recent luck as well...

A seller had a card for $35 or best offer.

At the most the card is worth $10 give or take a few bucks... but I always consider fees into the total value when a card is on the bay.

I offered $15 for the card and I was rejected.

The card went to auction with a starting price of $5 and I won it for $5.