`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
altered cards being slabbed

altered cards being slabbed
I posted this in the BGS section but had no responses.

A while back I sent in some cards to be graded, one of which came back ungraded/unslabbed with a note saying it had a shaved edge. shouldn't the card still have been slabbed "authentic altered" anyway? Just curious to know why BGS didn't slab the card.
Anyone have any ideas?

RE: altered cards being slabbed
do they have just an "authenticated" label? I know they'll do it for companies such as Leaf or even Topps had it once I think...but I didn't think they did it for just any card or any individual. besides, what grade would they give it if they did slab it? would they give you a -0- for edges and then ultimately give you like a 3 or 4? I know psa has an authentication label for autographs and an "OC" designation for off centered stuff, but I don't know if even they just slap an authentic label to a non-autographed card.

btw what card were you grading that you just need it authenticated?

(05-06-2015, 03:08 PM)altz11 Wrote: I posted this in the BGS section but had no responses.

A while back I sent in some cards to be graded, one of which came back ungraded/unslabbed with a note saying it had a shaved edge. shouldn't the card still have been slabbed "authentic altered" anyway? Just curious to know why BGS didn't slab the card.
Anyone have any ideas?
The BGS submission form has (or at least it used to have) a box that reads:
"By checking this box, your cards will be given a numeric grade if possible but if the cards are deemed to be altered (trimmed, recolored, etc), we will seal and authenticate the card in a Beckett Authentic/Altered case.
* Standard grading fees will apply for either of the services listed above"
Do you remember checking that box when submitting your cards?

Yes, I always check that box, which is why I am asking why they didn't slab it as authentic/altered. I actually asked Beckett a few days ago and got the same response, "there is a box you can check etc..."
I'm thinking they must have just overlooked my checking of that box. It's really not a big deal, was just curious. The card isn't worth enough to send in to have encapsulated as authentic.

I was thinking the card was going to grade out at a 9.5. I pulled it out of a pack a few years ago.

Kstjst48,
Yes they do have an option to have cards authenticated only. If you had a card that was in poor condition (or any condition really) and only wanted it encapsulated, you can choose to do so.
Btw, the card was an 89-90 hoops Michael Jordan

(05-07-2015, 09:22 PM)altz11 Wrote: Yes, I always check that box, which is why I am asking why they didn't slab it as authentic/altered. I actually asked Beckett a few days ago and got the same response, "there is a box you can check etc..."
I'm thinking they must have just overlooked my checking of that box. It's really not a big deal, was just curious. The card isn't worth enough to send in to have encapsulated as authentic.

I was thinking the card was going to grade out at a 9.5. I pulled it out of a pack a few years ago.

Kstjst48,
Yes they do have an option to have cards authenticated only. If you had a card that was in poor condition (or any condition really) and only wanted it encapsulated, you can choose to do so.
Btw, the card was an 89-90 hoops Michael Jordan
Now I feel my question was like those first annoying questions you get from employees at a costumer service line. "Is your device plugged in? Have you tried hitting the ON button?"
In any case, I see how 89-90 hoops wouldn't be worth sending back (even if it's a Jordan). But shouldn't they reimburse you the cost of that grading, if they failed to do what you paid/asked for?

(05-07-2015, 09:58 PM)Caffrey Wrote: I see how 89-90 hoops wouldn't be worth sending back (even if it's a Jordan). But shouldn't they reimburse you the cost of that grading, if they failed to do what you paid/asked for?

That's a good question. Fortunately it's not an expensive card and definitely not worth the hassle.