`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Contemplating making a big purchase(updated with photos pg2)

RE: Contemplating making a big purchase(updated with photos pg2)
Only downside to this is if I buy the lot I have to take all his '79-'89 cardboard. There is about 100 boxes of cardboard.

Basically, it is the exact same set as the 1923 Willard's Chocolate V100. Same pics, same checklist, different candy company. All cards are exactly the same except the V100's were blank backs. Im not entirely sure on pricing of the E123'S but the V100's aren't worth too much. I know yours would be more money because they are rarer but not sure exactly how much.

The 1954 Ted Williams is not an Original topps. It is a cut out from the first or second issue of sports illustrated. value is about 5-10 dollars

"The second type of 1954 Topps "Baseball Card" that is encountered on eBay is the "Sports Illustrated" issue. The first and second issues of that magazine featured an insert of 27 pictures of cards, printed on paper stock, not baseball card stock. All of the first issue pictures were in color. Some, if not all of the second issue pictures were black and white. Inventive sellers have cut the pictures into cards and offer them for sale on eBay, as original items. When cut, these pictures are much same than real baseball cards. They were indeed printed in 1954, but are cut out pictures really Baseball cards? Sellers then have them slabbed by a second or third tier grading company to enhance the marketability. The bigger issue that I have with these "cards" is the value. Some sellers list the "book value" at the same level of the regular issue. I don't know what book they are using. My personal belief is that there is little agreement on what these things are worth. A mint condition 1st issue of Sports Illustrated (SI) sells for roughly $200. That would mean to me that the individual pictures at maximum could be worth $5-10. "

[Image: si1_zpsczmufgqk.jpg]

He would be correct. I got the 2 magazines mixed up. I thought SI came out in '64. It was '54. And I'm with you, no they are not cards.

Holy smokes, thank god for this forum!! Everything else seems to be legit but now I think I'm going to question everything. The sad thing is my buddy really thinks it's the "real" version.

RE: Contemplating making a big purchase
(04-18-2015, 11:07 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: It's REALLY tough to give a definitive answer looking at pics. From where I sit, it looks unbelievable. However, if you buy it based on it being graded a 7 just know that the equipment any of the major companies will use to grade the card will be far superior to whatever that company used. I would buy it with a stipulation: let the seller know it is going in for grading and if it is found to be altered in any way, he needs to buy it back. I'd also try and work on a price as far away from a PSA 7 as you can get it because if it comes back a 5, you may still feel a little cheated. You may even want to pick up a little magnifier. For a few bucks they can give you a better understanding of what your up against.

Take this Eddie Matthews. Looks pretty good, right? That indent on the right is from the glare. Ungraded, its not an issue because to the naked eye it looks great. But...
[Image: IMG_20150418_235901_zpslzhdldkc.jpg] [Image: IMG_20150418_235139_zpsjcqrucqk.jpg] [Image: IMG_20150418_235801_zps1sqrrxy6.jpg]

With a little magnification, you pick up every tiny flaw that was once invisible to us and that's what you'll get graded on. The camera isn't even really picking up the magnification like your eyes would and you can still see the issue.
This is truly a great example!!! Helps me a lot too since Ive never looked at a card through a magnifier like this!!! Comes to show what can be hidden to the naked eye
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(04-20-2015, 12:24 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: He would be correct. I got the 2 magazines mixed up. I thought SI came out in '64. It was '54. And I'm with you, no they are not cards.
.....:p
[Image: cyber-1.png]
Bucket
Collecting CURRENT Raiders....Carr, Mack, Bo, brown ++

Are you gonna collect McFadden, now that he's a Cowboy? ... McClain, now that he's a Cowboy?
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(04-21-2015, 09:52 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: Are you gonna collect McFadden, now that he's a Cowboy? ... McClain, now that he's a Cowboy?
Nope, dumping them all.....just don't have the time to change the pic...
[Image: cyber-1.png]
Bucket
Collecting CURRENT Raiders....Carr, Mack, Bo, brown ++

looks like an interesting collection for sure but you have to be real careful with vintage as others said, lots of fakes and reprints that came out during the 80s-90s i'd be especially careful with that mantle it just looks too good....pay to get that graded first.