`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think I have a thief at my PO

I think I have a thief at my PO
HOCKEY GUYS AND GALS...BELOW IS A COPY OF A POST I HAVE PUT UP IN THE BASEBALL FORUM. I AM REPOSTING HERE ALSO AS MORE OF MY FELLOW CANADIANS WILL NO DOUBT SEE IT HERE IN THE HOCKEY FORUM AND MAY HAVE SOME ADVICE/INSIGHT INTO DEALING WITH CANADA POST. APOLOGIES FOR THE DUPLICATE THREAD. RANDI IF THIS IS OUT OF BOUNDS FEEL FREE TO LOCK AS I UNDERSTAND MULTIPLE THREADS ON THE SAME SUBJECT IS FROWNED UPON AT TIMES---RYAN

Ok so some of you may remember my thread from about a month and a half ago about a trade showing up opened and the contents gone...

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1571655.html

Since then I have three trades that should have arrived long ago that are no where to be found. 4 trades lost in the mail/ahemm scammed, over a span of over 350 trades, when dealing with 2 different postal systems with the vast majority of them (Canada Post/USPS) would be statistically possible, maybe even acceptable, but we are looking at 4 in the span of just shy of 2 months. The senders are scattered all over the US, so the only common factor is here in Georgetown Ontario.
I have my trades shipped to the school I teach at, so after this many trades, and the nice ladies at the counter of the local PO knowing what I ship out and receive (customs declaration stickers/an argument that I won that since cards are cardboard they fall under regular mail service (paper) vs packages (lots more cash to ship here in Canada as I imagine elsewhere) I'm thinking that when my theoretical thief is sorting the mail and they see a bubble or PWE to the school with my name attached they know what is in there. I haven't lost any giant cards, but some vintage Tigers cards incoming that obviously would be tougher for me to reacquire were parts of these trades. My question is...how would you approach this possibility? I mean I have absolutely no proof other than circumstantial evidence and a theory, and to walk into the PO guns a blazing looking for my mail would not go over well I imagine. I'm leaning to just mentioning to the counter ladies that I have many overdue packages and to keep an eye out in the future, but I don't believe that would get me very far at all...I mean a heck of a lot of packages go through a PO.
I've toyed with the idea of mailing myself a number of PWE with a note along the lines of "Nice try you thieving *****-hat" and a few 90s junk in them and seeing how many arrive. But other than that I am at a loss how to proceed (yes juvenile but probably the most "fun" route of addressing this problem). Any advice out there, or others who have suspected the same thing going on at their local POs?
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

RE: I think I have a thief at my PO
I don't think the people at the front counter are managed by the same people that deliver and sort the mail if it's a larger facility. Might even be different unions so you might be better off asking to speak to a manager and explaining the situation, at first calmly. If they bring it up to their staff maybe that will scare their employee enough to stop breaking the law and risking their jobs. That could solve your problem without any blood shed.

On the note of paper and sending as a letter vs package, I only go to one of the half dozen postal outlets here because they seem to think it's necessary to ship cards as a package rather than just paper letter. It pisses me off frankly, $5 to us for a dinky letter size 'package'. There is just no arguing with some of them. It's ridiculous.
Looking for rookies, autos, and patches current Canuck players in Canuck uniform and former Canuck stars IE Linden, Bure etc
Bucket: http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/h...or%20Sale/

Are you sure these packages are not making it to your mailroom at work?
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Another good point. Is it possible that someone at work is to blame?
Looking for rookies, autos, and patches current Canuck players in Canuck uniform and former Canuck stars IE Linden, Bure etc
Bucket: http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/h...or%20Sale/

too bad you couldn't send yourself a dye packet with a few nickle cards

SET COLLECTOR, RYAN SMYTH, BOBBY ORR AND MARTIN ST. LOUIS

(04-19-2015, 07:37 PM)jonathani Wrote: Are you sure these packages are not making it to your mailroom at work?
We don't have a mailroom, the postal worker literally walks to the office and drops off the mail on the counter. We are only a small, open concept (on of the last of those dinosaurs still around). There is only 6 classrooms for the entire school. None of the staff would even know what to do with baseball cards, may even not know what they are.
(04-19-2015, 07:14 PM)chemainus Wrote: On the note of paper and sending as a letter vs package, I only go to one of the half dozen postal outlets here because they seem to think it's necessary to ship cards as a package rather than just paper letter. It pisses me off frankly, $5 to us for a dinky letter size 'package'. There is just no arguing with some of them. It's ridiculous.
Agreed. When the rates went up last year it was a shock to me and I asked what would still count as regular mail. The lady at the counter mentioned cards, and I pointed out these were cards, not birthday cards but cards none the less. The manager/supervisor agreed (I believe secretly giddy she could stick it to the bosses) and I get the letter rate ever since.

(04-19-2015, 08:00 PM)bluefrozencanuck Wrote: too bad you couldn't send yourself a dye packet with a few nickle cards
Been suggested on the baseball board, as well as glitter surprises and even a police officer who would send my "note" idea on department letterhead. I have filed these under "fun" solutions and may go that route for the sheer enjoyment of it. I believe I am going to start with sending myself a few dummy PWEs with a note, and in the future change my mailing address to home instead of work. Anything continues I'm going in to the office with official complaint.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!