`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collecting on a budget? What's your personal system?

Collecting on a budget? What's your personal system?
So, I'm 80% of the way towards my target of 5k for my second -5.5 month old child's college fund... Other than some of the bigger pieces, My yelich/Bregman collection has not needed to be touched, which is pretty cool, and I still have a ton of BIN's up. I have had a hard time, not collecting over the past few weeks. The bottom line is that collecting makes the game of baseball more fun for myself. However, I don't think I'll ever feel right about having cards that could bring in several hundreds of $ in a single sale, especially when they are young players who could tank and be worthless.

I hate to be one of those "I'm out of the hobby, I'm back into the hobby" guys. The bottom line is that I love baseball and collecting is a great part of it, but the way I was collecting had to change. I've decided that I want to keep collecting, but focus PURELY on the fun aspect of things. The whole stress of "prospecting" and worrying about selling at the right time, and hoping a prospect who I have several hundreds or thousands of $ in doesn't tank turned out to be more stress than fun. I want my cards to have a personal and monetary value, but with my non-yelich/bregman stuff it was far more monetary than personal.

My ideas on future collecting and possible PC:
- Picking up my favorite cheap late 80's early 90's RC's/Cards in BGS quad 9.5 grade.
- Picking up autos of my favorite players from childhood, players who I have a great deal of respect for and have enjoyed watching or who have a cool story behind them (Jim abbott, king felix, josh hamilton etc...)
- Picking up A's cards that have some sort of personal significance... whether it be a RC from a memorable season, or a pie in the face card etc... I'd probably start with the coco crisp glove stories from gypsy queen because I was at the game and the fact it was commemorated on-card is pretty awesome.

I was just curious about how you guys budget or focus your hobby money... or any systems you might have with the way you collect? I'm thinking of giving myself a small budget of about $40 a month to toy around with. Thanks in advance!
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

RE: Collecting on a budget? What's your personal system?
Well I'm looking to buy so I can start building my collection if ur willing to sell.

[Image: banner_zpsn8lxnr05.jpg]

All Angels!!!

Hopefully to stay involved in the hobby - even if scaled back. My plan for the last ten years (3 young kids) was to buy 1 box of each Bowman, Bowman Chrome and Bowman Draft plus the Topps Factory set. After that, I allocated roughly $500 per year for trade expenses and new purchases (eBay, blasters, etc.) Reality tells me I can't wait all those long months between Bowman release not to open something. Regarding purchasing single cards, I seldom buy single cards anymore. If I can't trade for it, I just live without it. I gave up a long time ago in being the top super collector for any player and accepted being the biggest super collector I can be and still have a wife and family (happy wife happy life) ;-)
To facilitate trading, please mark your wants in the "wants" column and "trade for" column in your Org.
[Image: Henderson-Discussion-Signature.jpg]

(04-10-2015, 10:21 AM)tucker251 Wrote: Well I'm looking to buy so I can start building my collection if ur willing to sell.
Have a ton of yelich/bregman left. I do have some BINS still up on eBay that I would give a deal on off eBay due to the lack of fees. Let me know what you're interested in and I'll see what I have.
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.

Since I'm out on my own now, I'm also in a similar budget situation. I allot myself $40 per month to spend. However, with my graduation money I decided to invest it in buying for resale at shows in my spare time (I work in summer collegiate baseball!) so that helps me fund a little more spending on my own collection- and its fun, I love it!

Good luck to you in figuring out your budget my friend, glad you're sticking around!
My Website: thepointguard.weebly.com
Also Collecting: Five Star Autos, '50s Topps Sets
Current Top Wants: '15 Chipper Jones & Other Five Star Autos
[Image: PGBanner_zps899b0bff.jpg]

I sit, watch ebay, and cry
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

(04-10-2015, 02:44 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: I sit, watch ebay, and cry
I'm in the same boat now..... Just trying to trade and sell on ebay to get rid of the cards I don't want.
Looking for 2011-2016 Gypsy Queen Mini's. Please check my want list. Also, must send FIRST!

Top wants! 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Silver #221 Jean Segura, #273 Allen Craig, #293 Danny Salazar, #310 Al Kaline SP, #319 Reggie Jackson SP

(04-10-2015, 02:44 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: I sit, watch ebay, and cry
Haha. This has been me the past two weeks lol. Of course the second I start selling off some PC, the cards on my want list pop up for the first time.

I was thinking the $40 bucks a month road... And maybe $150 on my bday or something. On that tight of a budget, I'm likely looking at singles instead of wax, but I think I'll have fun being highly selective on my singles and looking for good deals.

I had to slow down drastically. I am going to focus on 1 set a year since I love building sets. Maybe pick up a few random packs here and there but that's all no big spending. I don't even spend 50 bucks a month anymore on cards. I've only purchases a few packs thi syear so far and that's it (until topps chrome comes out as that is my next set)
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

My spending has been a little much the past year but I remember when I had a $25 a week (I was paid weekly) limit on what I could buy myself. Taxes or bonus came in that was different. I remember looking forward to the mail more and appreciating my pickups more.
I still enjoy collecting just as much but some of the appreciation isn't there I think.
I wouldn't limit yourself crazy if you don't have to and don't set a large amount for yourself either. I think there's a happy balance and only you'll know what that number is.
no org, please do not send trade requests