`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Does this auction look fishy to you guys?

Does this auction look fishy to you guys?
This is the ending auction of a 1968 topps test team sticker for the Dallas Cowboys I was watching. The seller was breaking up a complete set of these stickers. Most teams went in the $85 to $125 range. This one went for $813 and the high bidder had a feedback rating of 10??

Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Topps-Footb...58c166a80c

Here's the Packers finished auction for comparison:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Topps-Footb...58c166e2fa

RE: Does this auction look fishy to you guys?
Looks to be a case of shilling to me. I have had plenty of this happening to me lately.
Just bid your max and hold on. I can't win much as of late.

Thanks for the response. It ended yesterday. I didn't bid.

The rating sometimes implies shilling but it this case there are three bids on the top. So that means it would have gone for more. I did not see more Cowboy sets listed but question is what they sell for. If you have been looking perhaps you know but the other teams do seem to sell for a whole lot less. Also, what does Beckett list the individual stickers for the set, the total may reflect some ideas. Goodluck, Bill!
Mostly football and a set builder

Beckett doesn't list it that high. It just seems way out of proportion with the others.

that isnt indicative of shill bidding

honestly, shill bidding id almost a myth now on ebay. unless you have a grandfathered account - an account older than 7 years old - it is almost impossible to shill, unless you have a friend do it from their account from a state far away from your own

im not saying it doesnt happen any more, but it is exceedingly rare

Notice I never mention shill bidding in my original post. Just seems weird this would go so high in comparison to the rest of them.

My mistake. It's a probstein auction who is a legitimate seller on ebay.
Instead you can bid up your own stuff you ship to him to peddle.
There is no way that auction would sell that high. I know it's america's team.....
Another goody...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Topps-216-J...1201852428

All legitimate bids.

Looked like a legit auction to me

I know shill bidding still takes place because there are guys in my LCS that do it for each other's auctions. I don't know if this is shill bidding but it does seem awfully high for it. And I say that as a Cowboys fan and collector.
That auction looks interesting HToutlaws. The top bidder has a low rating.