IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good BV % to pay for a card?

RE: Good BV % to pay for a card?
Depends on condition

It's all relative to what you want and how bad you want it. I don't know that you will corner any collector into saying they pay "X" percentage of BV all the time. They pay what they are willing to pay, and that changes from card to card. The bottom line is do your due diligence, don't get ripped off, and just have fun with it.
"A collection isn't a collection unless you have some of everything." ~kollectornet

It all depends on the card. A lot of it comes down to how frequently a card comes up for sale and how in demand the card is when it comes up for sale. There are lots of rare 90s inserts that don't come up for sale that often and when they do people are willing to pay significantly more than book value. Then there are the dime a dozen cards that aren't that popular or rare and they can be bought for 10% of less of book value. So it isn't really cut and dry about a strict percentage of book value.
20 years ago things were very different, as the internet was in its infancy and people were still buying/selling the majority of cards at shops and shows. Back than there were pretty common percentages that were being paid (dealers would pay 25-50% of book value for a card and sell it for 50-100% of book value). With eBay, COMC, and other online storefronts the book values in Beckett aren't always inline with actual sales prices, thus the strict percentage rule has been lost.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I seem to remember that Beckett Price Guides are supposed to be telling you what cards are selling for based on an analysis of brick and mortar sales, shows, online etc. Not sure if they actually still do that research but I have to assume so.

As far as what a card is "worth" well that all depends on what you are willing to pay for it, or if you are selling a card what you can sell it for. If you look up a card in Beckett for example and the condition is Mint and hi-low is $100-$75 but you can't sell it for more than $25 what would you say it's worth?
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

ebay isnt market value

(03-30-2015, 03:01 PM)dmasci Wrote: I seem to remember that Beckett Price Guides are supposed to be telling you what cards are selling for based on an analysis of brick and mortar sales, shows, online etc. Not sure if they actually still do that research but I have to assume so.
This is supposedly true, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as it used to be. The biggest problem with Beckett's pricing is that they only tend to update prices when a player or set gets hot or has a major derailment (and even then sometimes they just don't change the book values). I was just looking at a collection of cards last night and noticed that Beckett still has the 2011 Topps Million Card redemption cards booking for the same as they were when they were redeemable. They haven't been usable in years, yet the book values have remained the same. So if there is some card shop somewhere reporting that they are still selling these for the current book value, please let me know as I have hundreds of these cards I would gladly sell for 10% or less of book value (heck I would probably sell them for 1% of book value and still be happy).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.

IMO its a case by case scenario per player. As for me Reggie's market goes up and down depending on his fan base. So I'd like to hear from someone who collects Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady to get a "better" or consistent answer! :p
But for me that rough 35%-50% range you mentioned is a good starting point, yet IMO should be used as a "guide" like bojesphob stated & should not be "engraved in stone" like a lot of people think it is.

Many variables come to mind as well.
RCs - A lot of people collect just their RCs or like in my case, when a player joins the team, collectors snatch their RCs until the player has a released team card. (Major market jump)
Set Builders - No so much for me anymore but i know stuff like the new RPAs out of Immaculate or Black Gold, everyone is trying to snatch them up!
Injuries - I know when Tom Brady got hurt years ago, everyone was dumping their stuff! I got lucky and snagged a Contenders AUTO RC for $300, its gone now though. Sad
Teamless - A player with no team. As I learned as of late, a lot of people were dumping Reggie's out onto the market making it easier to get those that I wanted/needed! FINALLY! Big Grin
I also found out this can somewhat drive prices up on certain rare cards as some sellers choose to hold on to a card until the player goes to another team. Yet for "the right price" it can be had. :p
Wants:
2006 Bowman Sterling Red Refractors #RB1 JSY Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 SP Authentic Rookie Autographed NFL Logo Patches #252 JSY AU Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 Topps Red Hot Rookies Autographs #RB Reggie Bush/10

(03-30-2015, 05:56 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: ebay isnt market value
How is it not?
Penn State Auto Collection

www.PSUAutoCollection.yolasite.com

(03-31-2015, 01:40 PM)mkufta Wrote: How is it not?
There are a lot of factors that determine what cards sell for on eBay (i.e. how many days was the auction, what time did the auction end, feedback of the seller, how many of a particular card are for sale at one time, and then there's the possibility of shill bidding). There are also plenty of other places that cards are bought and sold, both online and in person. So while eBay is a good gauge for card values, there are lots of factors to consider and not just looking at the last sold auction.
There are many people who go check eBay and find the lowest price a card sold for and quote that when offering to buy, and then look at the highest price a card sold for on eBay and quote that when selling. So you have to be extremely careful with how you quote eBay values.

(03-30-2015, 05:56 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: ebay isnt market value
Ebay may not be market value but it most certainly is a factor in determining market value and should be considered in a price guide.

If you assume that a price guide is showing you what a card is selling for (i.e. price) I would think you would consider what that card sells for at shows, in stores, online, etc. and get an hi-lo range based on those factors.

I find it hard to believe that is done anymore, there are just too many cards which makes you question the value of a price guide.
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]