`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any idea of print runs in the junk wax era?

Any idea of print runs in the junk wax era?
I've always been told it was in the millions, but I wanted to know if anyone knew anything more concrete. For instance, let's take a 1988 Donruss Jose Canseco - were 1,000,000 printed, or 10,000,000 printed? etc ....

Any info greatly appreciated!
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

RE: Any idea of print runs in the junk wax era?
One of the things I collect are "vintage" card magazines like tuff stuff, sport cards , Beckett, etc

I can't tell you the untold amount of info I've learned from these over the years.

During the junk wax years, there was always speculation about how many of each card were made

While no card company ever released this info, here are the numbers some of those magazines guesstimated:

85 topps: 800k of each card
87 topps: one million of each card
91 topps: four million of each card

Just using this numbers not only shows the incredible boom during that six year stretch, but you can also estimate numbers for other products, like 88 donruss which generally was seen everywhere topps was, so nearly same production numbers.

Also keep in mind that 91 was more than likely the highest production run, so nothing was greater than that.

I really wish that they had production numbers - someone on another forum mentioned topps may have put out 7 million 1987 topps sets. it sure would be interesting to know what figures are most accurate!

(03-26-2015, 01:34 PM)bbcgalaxee Wrote: One of the things I collect are "vintage" card magazines like tuff stuff, sport cards , Beckett, etc

I can't tell you the untold amount of info I've learned from these over the years.

During the junk wax years, there was always speculation about how many of each card were made

While no card company ever released this info, here are the numbers some of those magazines guesstimated:

85 topps: 800k of each card
87 topps: one million of each card
91 topps: four million of each card

Just using this numbers not only shows the incredible boom during that six year stretch, but you can also estimate numbers for other products, like 88 donruss which generally was seen everywhere topps was, so nearly same production numbers.

Also keep in mind that 91 was more than likely the highest production run, so nothing was greater than that.
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile

There are sooo many stories I've heard of speculation on the print runs of the late 80's baseball cards. Judging by the shear numbers I've seen and the numbers myself and my friends owned as children, I'm going with over 5 million per year from '87 on. It seems to be a popular number. When we were kids, most of us owned hundreds of single examples of cards. We weren't dealers, we weren't "in the loop". Everything we had was pack opened or traded from our group of friends. I lived in a small town and you still couldn't go into any convenience store and not see wax.

I know a guy who is still sitting on 20 unopened cases of 1987 Topps.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I cant help but.........aren't they still making 1988 donruss, lol................
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

(03-26-2015, 03:32 PM)elberson Wrote: I cant help but.........aren't they still making 1988 donruss, lol................
LOL

(03-26-2015, 03:03 PM)zeprock Wrote: I know a guy who is still sitting on 20 unopened cases of 1987 Topps.
That's about all they are good for ... Sitting on them. Smile A case of 87 Topps makes for a very sturdy seat! Smile

... And I thought in 1987 Topps printed a gazillion cards .... They were literally EVERYWHERE!

When I was in New York Chiropractic College in '87 I would eat at a local Chinese food take out place .. They sold Topps Wax packs there! EVERYWHERE!

By my home, My local ice cream truck guy that came by every day in the summer sold wax packs! EVERYWHERE!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

My ice cream guy did too. Hey wait a minute... what happened to all of the ice cream trucks?

We still have an ice cream truck go bye from time to time blaring creepy music. ..not a fan!

I have a craving for ice cream and wax packs now.
I actually heard from a guy who knew a guy that was friends with someone who said they made an ice cream flavor with little chunks of 87 topps in the ice cream.