IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA Just Being Shoddy OR Swap Out

PSA Just Being Shoddy OR Swap Out
Just look at this:
[Image: WOW_zps3ey8ldiv.jpg]

IF you're not familiar with this, this is not a 1987 card. It's a 1999 reprint. I'm leaning toward PSA just being shoddy. I say this because the seller that has this listed, (I believe) sells straight from receiving his submission from PSA. There's no middle man. Unless, he himself, swapped out the cards.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

RE: PSA Just Being Shoddy OR Swap Out
Jeez, that's pretty bad. I mean, the border and layout looks right for 1987, but I'm as certain as I can be that the GOLD IMPRINT did not exist in 1987! If even I spot that, I would expect PSA to be able to also.

Not to mention it's a GEM MT 10 and looking at it I don't see how that centering gets that high. Can't tell from the scans but are the corners all good?

(03-02-2015, 01:14 PM)ne12bc12 Wrote: Not to mention it's a GEM MT 10 and looking at it I don't see how that centering gets that high. Can't tell from the scans but are the corners all good?
I don't know. As I said in my original post, I don't own it, it's currently up for auction.

(03-02-2015, 01:14 PM)ne12bc12 Wrote: Not to mention it's a GEM MT 10 and looking at it I don't see how that centering gets that high. Can't tell from the scans but are the corners all good?
One thing I've noticed with pics being put up, if the photo is not taken from direct on in front, if the camera is on a slight angel, it will make bordered cards look off centred.
Not saying that is the case here, but if the photo is not direct on it is more difficult to tell.

Now as to what this is a mistake by PSA or someone swapping out...either is possible. One you would think PSA would not make an error, and two criminals are usually dumb but I would assume whomever is possibly doing this knows enough about cards to at least put the correct make and model in the holder.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(03-02-2015, 01:26 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: One thing I've noticed with pics being put up, if the photo is not taken from direct on in front, if the camera is on a slight angel, it will make bordered cards look off centred.
Not saying that is the case here, but if the photo is not direct on it is more difficult to tell.

Now as to what this is a mistake by PSA or someone swapping out...either is possible. One you would think PSA would not make an error, and two criminals are usually dumb but I would assume whomever is possibly doing this knows enough about cards to at least put the correct make and model in the holder.
POST #3,700

Yeah, it doesn't look too off-centered to me.

I tend to lean toward it being PSA's gross oversight. I buy from this seller and cross them over to BGS.

Bad job by PSA. Not a fan of their gradings anyway.

Why would anybody get a 1999 card graded in the first place?

This is also a reason why Topps shouldn't be making these kind of reprints.

(03-02-2015, 05:08 PM)natejeffries Wrote: Bad job by PSA. Not a fan of their gradings anyway.

Why would anybody get a 1999 card graded in the first place?

This is also a reason why Topps shouldn't be making these kind of reprints.
I buy 1999 BGS 9.5 Graded Nolan Ryan cards for my Nolan Ryan Master Registry.

Wow! That is pretty bad! You'd think a grading company would have some sort of oversight / double-check system in place to catch mistakes like that. You see stuff like that and it makes you doubt that they really even care. Quality control? Nope!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(03-02-2015, 08:58 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Wow! That is pretty bad! You'd think a grading company would have some sort of oversight / double-check system in place to catch mistakes like that. You see stuff like that and it makes you doubt that they really even care. Quality control? Nope!
+5000

I know, Right?